Anyone have a 2018 Camry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not a game changer, but updated. I think the looks are not for everyone. Toyota and Lexus have been so flamboyant looking of late. Dont care for it at all.

Your only interested in Toyota?

That New Honda Accord looks pretty nice. Especially with the 2.0 TUrbo and 10spd Auto, or 6 spd manual.
01.gif

Honda has been kinda off lately too, the New Civic
37.gif

But the Accord actually looks decent inside and out. Worth a look.

Jeff

Came in first place in the recent CR Buying Guide issue. Second was the Subaru Legacy, 3rd Kia Optima etc.

They now have a regular oil filter, same one that the 05 Matrix uses. So no more canister.

You probably don't need it since you're 2012 has such low miles. But I think they did a nice job on the new one. The beltline was lowered so better visibility.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
They now have a regular oil filter, same one that the 05 Matrix uses. So no more canister.

I think you meant "no more cartridge."

Canister (spin-on) IS the regular oil filter.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Came in first place in the recent CR Buying Guide issue. Second was the Subaru Legacy, 3rd Kia Optima etc.

You probably don't need it since you're 2012 has such low miles. But I think they did a nice job on the new one. The beltline was lowered so better visibility.

thats no surprise though how biased CR are. Those rankings are all a joke.

Toyota's make good cars, I have had a couple of them over the yeas, one was ok, the other a total piece of c r a p.

Toyota keeps plugging away with the same old thing year after year after year. Of course they dont break if your using the same engine for 25 yrs and the same transmission for 20 yrs. If you dont get the kinks out by then??

Look at the Corolla. JUST THIS YEAR it got away from a 4 spd auto that has been in the car since the early 90's. They put in a CVT. The platform of this car is over 10 yrs old as is the engine. Come on.

Reliability is subjective. All cars will break at some point. Some run longer than others. Do I think a Camry will hold up better than a Hyundai? Or Last longer than a Honda? Again, all subjective.

Also the Subaru's that do well in LONG TERM tests are all normally aspirated. ALL their Turbo models got average or below average reliability according to the so valued CR paperwork.

Jeff

Last edited:
If you don't like CR then check out www.carcomplaints.com . Even you wanted to you dump your GTI to avoid major repair bills down the road as I recall. You started a thread on it. I'm sure it's fine for someone that doesn't rack up a lot of miles.

Only the base model 2014+ Corolla had the 4 spd auto. All other models had the CVT transmissions. Most people including the ones on here liked having the option of a 4spd available instead of the CVT. Plus it comes in first place in the CR buying guide followed by the Kia Forte.

Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX

Toyota keeps plugging away with the same old thing year after year after year. Of course they dont break if your using the same engine for 25 yrs and the same transmission for 20 yrs. If you dont get the kinks out by then??

Look at the Corolla. JUST THIS YEAR it got away from a 4 spd auto that has been in the car since the early 90's. They put in a CVT. The platform of this car is over 10 yrs old as is the engine. Come on.

Jeff

Spot on. I remember when GM was getting a lot of flack both from car reviewers and internet for not updating their Cavaliers, Buick lineup etc. And these vehicles were pretty rock solid as well, but since it was GM, it could not be good. Now that Toyota does it with most of their lineup, it's perfect because "reliability".

But does the 2018 Camry have that Magnaflow custom exhaust sound of the TV commercials????????????

The Camry competes with the Dodge/Chrysler 200. Which isn't being produced any longer. Nice commercials though, Made in Detroit or something like that.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX

Jeff

Spot on. I remember when GM was getting a lot of flack both from car reviewers and internet for not updating their Cavaliers, Buick lineup etc. And these vehicles were pretty rock solid as well, but since it was GM, it could not be good. Now that Toyota does it with most of their lineup, it's perfect because "reliability".

Agreed.

I remember this well in the aughts. GM was always criticized for their 3.8L series II/III engine because it was "old-fashioned" and not a newer DOHC design. Personally, I wish GM would have kept updating the 3800, that was truly a remarkable engine. HP/torque figures do not do it justice.

Con. Wait till about the 3rd year of production to get any model change teething issues resolved.

Originally Posted By: 92saturnsl2

I remember this well in the aughts. GM was always criticized for their 3.8L series II/III engine because it was "old-fashioned" and not a newer DOHC design. Personally, I wish GM would have kept updating the 3800, that was truly a remarkable engine. HP/torque figures do not do it justice.

was the 3800 the one with the bad plastic intake manifolds? that dexcool ate?

Last edited:
The update fixed a lot of the general complaints that we have about our 14.5. The mileage is incredible! 29/41 for the L. The only complaint is the poor sounding doors when they shut and that the trunk is slightly smaller. The door problem can be fixed with some Dynamat or a generic form of sound proofing.

Originally Posted By: edwardh1
was the 3800 the one with the bad plastic intake manifolds? that dexcool ate?

Dexcool was never the problem; the gaskets were.

Originally Posted By: 007
I have a 2012 Camry L with 25K and was thinking of getting a 2018. Any pros or cons with the 2018?

Way more pros than cons despite what the haters say. Great styling imo and of course legendary Toyota reliability. I work in Quality Control and every conference I go to Toyota is the case study everyone benchmarks. Someone called their reliability “subjective”. What a load of [censored].

Originally Posted By: 92saturnsl2

I wish GM would've kept the 3800 Series I. Those imo are the best engines ever made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back