Mobil 1 5-30; 7.5k mi; 15k mi; 2017 F150 3.5EB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks pretty good to me.
I wonder if they have adjusted the universal averages for the gen 2 engine.

I'm coming up on 20k, just sent off my second sample.

Originally Posted By: KJSmith
Looks pretty good to me.
I wonder if they have adjusted the universal averages for the gen 2 engine.

I'm coming up on 20k, just sent off my second sample.

I was wondering that as well.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Break in wear.

Fuel is nicely low for an EB; perhaps part of the "new" multi-point/DI strategy?

Quite likely, especially since both Porsche and Toyota have mentioned part throttle cylinder filling issues in DI engines. Also interesting that many new cars have "just" DI.

I doubt BlackStone knows the 2nd Gen Ecoboost is in the 2017 and newer trucks. I’d say you still have some break-in metals happening there, but overall that looks pretty good. The fuel is a bit strange. Could have just been the sample, but mine typically dilute the oil more and the viscosity measures at or below the spec. If you’re towing on a regular basis, I wouldn’t worry about it at this point.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Break in wear.

At over 14,000 miles ? Shouldn't it be broken in by now ?

Maybe, maybe not.

How hard was it used? Each individual engine will be slightly different. Some might be broken in at 15k miles, some 20k, some 10k, etc ... Then we factor in start/stop cycles. Lubes used. Quantity of OCIs, etc. It's not just about miles; it's also what happens with the flushing events (OCIs).

Example:
A new vehicle driven for 20k miles, only doing 2 OCIs of 10k miles each, will have a lot different residual metals in the crankcase than a vehicle that runs the same 20k miles, but had 2x the OCI (four OCIs total). You cannot just look at miles, but also the quantity and duration of recent OCIs.

Given that this UOA is only the 3rd OCI, at 15k miles, I'd say "yes" there's some break-in residual in this UOA. The first two OCIs happened prior to 7.5k miles on the odometer. This OCI/UOA ran from 7.5k to 15k miles. Yes - there's likely break-in here.

As a mass generalization, I pretty much ignore any data in the first 20k miles or five OCIs; that's when most settling occurs. Most will have broken-in in half that time, but there are always examples of exceptions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back