why extended OCI ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do some car owners try to get the last mile out of a oil change?
Compared to engine damage from dirty oil, they are not that costly.
Even a low price oil and filter changed at 5-8K is better than extending any oil/filter combination. The whole point of a oil change is to get the dirty oil out and clean oil in, right?

I agree with the UOA group, that is the only way to know when oil needs to be replaced.
That mileage is different for every car (even if the same model), because of different driving habits, etc.

Even with a UOA at a high mile interval, it would be better to put the UOA cost into a fresh oil change.
When in doubt, change it out.

Now I wait for the posts to correct my skewed reasoning !

Everyone has their own opinion on this matter. Nothing wrong with extending an interval if its safe to do so. Some use a UOA as a baseline to know how far they can safely extend an oil change. Once done you can follow it for life of the vehicle. If you can get 12k instead of 6k on ur oil, whats wrong with that? I dont do it personally but thats cuz i get bored.

It's all relative. My UOA's at 10k and 15k mile intervals have showed the oil had plenty of life left. I consider under 10k short, 10-15k normal. I would only consider over 15k extended. Under 5k in my experience is straight up throwing away money, track use or other special use exempted of course.

I do extended OCI since it prevents me from having to roll under the car on a snow covered gravel driveway in Jan-Feb @ 20F

Why do it if I don't have to?

Last edited:
My car is a vehicle I bought to serve me. I only change my oil between 1 -1 1/2 years, because the oil I buy can do it without allowing my motor to wear itself out. Besides, I'm tired of changing oil and yes my method works. '02 Ford Explorer with mobil 1 ex performance oil and a Booch filter. Just turned over 200k . If changing your oil alot, and having to do something with the used oil and filters is your thing, go for it. I do agree that paying money for a UOA, is money better spent on new oil and filter, then continuous opinions about the condition of your oil or motor. If they say your motor is shot because of whats floating in your oil, your still gonna have to spend more money beside the UOA to either fix it or replace it. If they could tell you exactly the minute it will fail, that might be worth it.,,,

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
I do extended OCI since it prevents me from having to roll under the car on a snow covered gravel driveway in Jan-Feb @ 20F

This..

Also, some people maintain 3-4 cars, do you want to be changing oil every 5k on 4 cars?

Also, less wasteful to extend OCI's..

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts

I realize that planning is very time consuming and stressful. I eliminated that little problem and my OCI's are done in Oct and May. But I know that sometimes we are all rushed and instead of doing a 15 to 20 minute oil change we can drive to the oil store and pay two to three more for a conventional oil change than a full synthetic one. But the trip to the oil store and waiting probably only takes 40 minutes to an hour and your times worth it.
crazy2.gif

Last edited:
These guys get some kind of macho high by pushing their engine oil to 10,000 miles. It's dumb as heck.

I'd rather take my engine apart someday to find that it's spotless. Much more satisfaction that way.

For many of the reasons posted in the replies, I would also like to extend my OCI.
I use full synthetic and Wix filters.
Would a UOA at 8K be a good baseline to start?

Thanks to all!

The OP makes valid points for a car with a 5QT oil sump. Extended OCI and UOAs and bypass filters make sense with diesel truck engines with large oil sumps.

I am sure many huge diesel engines (train, ship) are changed based upon oil analysis.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
These guys get some kind of macho high by pushing their engine oil to 10,000 miles. It's dumb as heck.

I'd rather take my engine apart someday to find that it's spotless. Much more satisfaction that way.

Depends on the car. Mercedes specs their cars to 10k as a normal oil change. But they spec synthetic and mine also has an 8.5 quart sump.

I must jump in with my wrinkle on determining OCI; extended or otherwise.

My EXAMPLE is current.
Since my car was bought used I only know the OC timeline history; nothing about brands used.

My first oil change (Mobil1 0W-40) has been sloppily topped off with anything I had lying around. Additive assessment is impossible.
My 2nd OC is coming up and I have a supply of the same oil. I now can accurately state my "miles on oil" and "amount of top up oil".
Just before my 3rd change I'll be able to sample and see if the factory 7,500 mile OCI is what I need.

ERGO I want the testing lab which does the most complete job. Cheers.

Originally Posted By: Donald
The OP makes valid points for a car with a 5QT oil sump.
Not really. If the oil is still good via UOA, why not extend? Most wear metals are cumulative in nature (meaning you will not reduce them with an early oil change, unless the engine is still breaking in and you desire to get the wear metals out of the engine). In addition, they drop on a per mile basis on extended runs. With modern oils and engines that are more computer controlled than ever it only makes sense to extend the OCI when/where practical.

How do you know they are pushing the oil? There are plenty of oils today to go well past 10,000 miles with no issues whatsoever. Your statement is totally based on emotion and has no basis of fact.

To what end? To satisfy your OCD habit?

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
There are plenty of oils today to go well past 10,000 miles with no issues whatsoever.

Can you promise me that they will go 10,000 miles without causing the faintest indication of varnish staining for every engine on the planet? And before you answer that, keep in mind that if you're wrong, lightning will strike you.

Big indutrial and marine diesel engines have their oil changed when analysis recommends it because it is a major expense, and the owners want their moneys worth.
For us lesser mortals with passenger cars and pick up trucks changing the oil before time won't break the bank for most of us.

FWIW I change the oil on my wife#s turbo diesel Peugeot every 10k miles, using fully synthetic as recommended by the makers. It still runs like new after almost 1/4 million miles in use as a cab, with occasional trailer home towing duties thrown in.

Claud.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
There are plenty of oils today to go well past 10,000 miles with no issues whatsoever.

Can you promise me that they will go 10,000 miles without causing the faintest indication of varnish staining for every engine on the planet? And before you answer that, keep in mind that if you're wrong, lightning will strike you.

You do realize that intelligent OCI extensions are done purely on a case-by-case basis, with testing, right?

Originally Posted By: BalticBob
Why do some car owners try to get the last mile out of a oil change?
Compared to engine damage from dirty oil, they are not that costly.
Even a low price oil and filter changed at 5-8K is better than extending any oil/filter combination. The whole point of a oil change is to get the dirty oil out and clean oil in, right?

I agree with the UOA group, that is the only way to know when oil needs to be replaced.
That mileage is different for every car (even if the same model), because of different driving habits, etc.

Even with a UOA at a high mile interval, it would be better to put the UOA cost into a fresh oil change.
When in doubt, change it out.

Now I wait for the posts to correct my skewed reasoning !

This is a very good question. Just because you can, doesn't really mean you should either.

People rely too much on UOA's and just assume everything is A "OK" because of them.

Most mechanics will tell you to simply follow the Manufacturers recommendations. Its really that simple.

Vendors will say how much money you can save, and people posting here will tell you that your wasting your money changing the oil so frequently.

Bottom line it all comes down to each own's personal experiences. I have seen 2.4 Toyota Engines in the 90's early 2000's sludge up even with 2-5k oil changes, I have seen my Uncle in his 81 Toyota Pick Up NEVER change the oil in over 300k miles. How is that possible? I asked him and this is what he told me.

ME: Uncle, Why Dont you get the oil changed?

Uncle: I am busy dont have time.

ME: Uncle arent you afraid of the engine failing?

Uncle: No, thats why I bought a Toyota.

ME: So how does the oil get changed?

Uncle: I never have changed the oil in this truck, I have just added to it.

Right around 300k miles the engine seized. When the head was taken apart for inspection, the sludge was so bad it actually caused the Cam to literally snap in half.

So in my Uncles Experience, why even change the oil at all?

Everything is subjective. When I was into my Evo's pretty heavy, taking off the valve cover to change out cams or whatever, my Cylinder head was always spotless. I mean no sludge, no varnish, just bright clean aluminium.

So if I was doing 5k intervals with a good quality Synthetic oil, and I KNOW it keeps my engine this clean, why would I want to push it just to save a few bucks? I wouldn't.

But thats just me.

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back