Blackstone vs Dyson UOA reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a longtime Blackstone user, but never got a Dyson report. A long time ago I asked Blackstone about the "Dyson" report, and if I can remember correctly it was described as " we do the Blackstone UAO plus a few extra tests, pass the raw results to Mr Dyson (Terry Dyson ? ) and he reviews the data and issues a report. Is my understanding correct ?

Terry is using Test Oil in Ohio and he makes sure they are calibrating properly. You also get KF Water testing, TBN, TAN testing along with actual fuel dilution numbers as standard and you can pay to have his expert analysis in audio format for your specific application to tune your engine using various recommendations he makes depending on which test you order from him. (Some are just the report, some come with this audio analysis.) Also being a customer gets you access to his private facebook group with a plethora of articles and industry news etc. Some really good discussions take place there at times. And you can ask questions at will.
thumbsup2.gif

I have been happy with his service over the past decade and used it multiple times and would highly recommend any of the test packages he offers.

http://www.dysonanalysis.com

I have used Blackstone but didn't like their interpreted fuel numbers or the fact that they had different numbers compared to other labs that all read the same but them. (Compared using the same sample of oil against Wear Check, Cat-Toromont, Oil-Analyzers) I also don't like that I need to pay more for TBN/TAN and can't get actual fuel dilution numbers or KF Water. Also an expert analysis to summarize in depth what it means and what I can try to resolve or tune things is good to have when you are trying to solve a problem with many variables.

He has a lot of experience, has fought OE's denying warranty claims and has worked with Cummins and been in this business for eons.

He used to be a part of this board but is no longer unfortunately.
frown.gif

Just my $0.02.

Last edited:
The thing I like about Blackstone compared to Oil Analyzers was the universal averages that Blackstone provides. Additionally since Amsoil resells Oil Analyzers , it sort of struck me as a conflict of interest if you are testing Amsoil products. I will look into Dyson further- thanks.

Originally Posted By: rubberchicken
The thing I like about Blackstone compared to Oil Analyzers was the universal averages that Blackstone provides. Additionally since Amsoil resells Oil Analyzers , it sort of struck me as a conflict of interest if you are testing Amsoil products. I will look into Dyson further- thanks.
Oil Analyzers is Polaris Laboratories and is a fully independent and ISO/IEC 17025:2005 certified laboratory. There are others besides Amsoil who sell their UOA kits and since they are independent, there is no conflict of interest, if by that statement you are suggesting they would "fudge" numbers in favor of Amsoil. I have used them many times with no issues and their testing methodology is state of the art as shown on the certification documentation. While I agree the universal averages from Blackstone are useful, Blackstone is weak in some of their tests such as flashpoint, fuel dilution, and soot as compared to Polaris. In addition, Polaris includes TBN or TAN (depending on oil type) and Blackstone charges extra for those tests.

Yeah, no comparison between the two. Blackstone Labs gives you a simple test package and slap-dash interpretation based on spurious assumptions. Dyson Analysis does better and MUCH more thorough testing, and offers MUCH more indepth analysis if you pay for it.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Terry is using Test Oil in Ohio and he makes sure they are calibrating properly. You also get KF Water testing, TBN, TAN testing along with actual fuel dilution numbers as standard and you can pay to have his expert analysis in audio format for your specific application to tune your engine using various recommendations he makes depending on which test you order from him. (Some are just the report, some come with this audio analysis.) Also being a customer gets you access to his private facebook group with a plethora of articles and industry news etc. Some really good discussions take place there at times. And you can ask questions at will.
thumbsup2.gif

I have been happy with his service over the past decade and used it multiple times and would highly recommend any of the test packages he offers.

He has a lot of experience, has fought OE's denying warranty claims and has worked with Cummins and been in this business for eons.

frown.gif

Just my $0.02.

I have never heard of Dyson before, but based on what you said and he says in his introduction video, it sounds like a great place to get a thorough analysis done on your oil.

It's unfortunate, however, being up here in Canada as I am sure, with the exchange rate, shipping, etc, a basic analysis would likely run north of a $150 dollars? Does that sound about right, Stevie?

I would like to get one done on my wife's 3.6 Impala when I do an oil change this spring, and I was just going to use Blackstone, but now, after seeing Dyson does a much more thorough job, imo, like Gas dilution, Tan, etc, or the things I am the most interested in, I am going to have to rethink this?

Thanks for the info.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: irv
thumbsup2.gif

frown.gif

Just my $0.02.

I have never heard of Dyson before, but based on what you said and he says in his introduction video, it sounds like a great place to get a thorough analysis done on your oil.

It's unfortunate, however, being up here in Canada as I am sure, with the exchange rate, shipping, etc, a basic analysis would likely run north of a $150 dollars? Does that sound about right, Stevie?

I would like to get one done on my wife's 3.6 Impala when I do an oil change this spring, and I was just going to use Blackstone, but now, after seeing Dyson does a much more thorough job, imo, like Gas dilution, Tan, etc, or the things I am the most interested in, I am going to have to rethink this?

Thanks for the info.
cheers3.gif

Another option in Canada is Toromont CAT. You can pick them up at any heavy truck dealer, they are less expensive than Blackstone and will give you TBN/TAN for free (you just have to request it).

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
thumbsup2.gif

frown.gif

Just my $0.02.

Thanks for the info.
cheers3.gif

Another option in Canada is Toromont CAT. You can pick them up at any heavy truck dealer, they are less expensive than Blackstone and will give you TBN/TAN for free (you just have to request it).

Thanks Overkill. I see the one in Bowmanville is now gone, or at least I thought one was there? Peterborough now looks to be the closest so I will be sure to contact them when the time comes in the spring.
http://www.toromontcat.com/service/fluid-analysis-services

thumbsup2.gif

frown.gif

Just my $0.02.

Thanks for the info.
cheers3.gif

Thanks Overkill. I see the one in Bowmanville is now gone, or at least I thought one was there? Peterborough now looks to be the closest so I will be sure to contact them when the time comes in the spring.
http://www.toromontcat.com/service/fluid-analysis-services

If you are coming to Peterborough, you can grab the sample kits at Winslow Gerolamy on the corner of the Parkway and Lansdowne. I'm amazed you don't have a heavy truck dealer in the 'shwa though?

Premier truck is here on Wilson south. I assume you are suggesting most/all of these places will do it, or what am I missing?
http://www.premiertruck.com/oshawa.aspx

Yes, they will probably carry the kits, so you just pop in and grab one then drop it in the mail when you have your sample.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
Originally Posted By: rubberchicken
Oil Analyzers is Polaris Laboratories and is a fully independent and ISO/IEC 17025:2005 certified laboratory. There are others besides Amsoil who sell their UOA kits and since they are independent, there is no conflict of interest, if by that statement you are suggesting they would "fudge" numbers in favor of Amsoil. I have used them many times with no issues and their testing methodology is state of the art as shown on the certification documentation. While I agree the universal averages from Blackstone are useful, Blackstone is weak in some of their tests such as flashpoint, fuel dilution, and soot as compared to Polaris. In addition, Polaris includes TBN or TAN (depending on oil type) and Blackstone charges extra for those tests.

thumbsup2.gif
thumbsup2.gif

Premier truck is here on Wilson south. I assume you are suggesting most/all of these places will do it, or what am I missing?

Yes, they will probably carry the kits, so you just pop in and grab one then drop it in the mail when you have your sample.

Thanks, I will be sure to check it/them out and see what they say?
cheers3.gif

his vid on his site is very convincing IF you do analysis. i just use better oil + filters change on time, no need to spend $$$ + worry about the results!! long haulers that use cases not quarts of oil analysis makes it smart !!

Thanks, I will be sure to check it/them out and see what they say?
cheers3.gif

I dropped into Premier Truck center here in Oshawa yesterday only to find out they use to do their own right on site!
Their machine is currently broken (parts unavailable) and they have no plans to replace it as they said it would be way too expensive.

The lady informed me, the only place she knew, was Toromont in Toronto. I know there is a Kenworth dealer in Bowmanville, which is close to my work, so I will have to try there next. If that is also a no go, then I assume my only option is to contact Toromont to see if they will ship the kits or try some of the others to see if they will?

What a disappointment knowing they, Premier Truck, had their own not that long ago!
shocked.gif

That's wild! Toromont, if you contact them, should be able to tell you what dealer closest to you sells their kits. I get them through Winslow Gerolamy here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back