Ultra-low Temperature Windshield Cleaning Solution

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just learned this morning that windshield cleaning solutions effective to Minus 40 to Minus 49 degrees C are available for purchase just across the border in Windsor. The best I can find in the local area is Minus 30 Degrees F. What concerns me about these locally available fluids is that even the cheap Blue Stuff that freezes solid in the solvent jug is rated at Minus 25 degrees F. Minus 40 Degrees C is approximately equal to Minus 40 Degrees F, IIRC the true equality point is Minus 41 degrees.

These solvents sold in Canada have a huge Skull & Crossbones on the label, so they may use Methanol rather than Isopropanol as the anti-freeze ingredient. Before I ask a Canadian co-worker to bring 4 jugs across the border for me, does anyone know if this stuff can be legally brought into the US?

Thanks,

I don't see why not. We mix our own washer fluid at work, methanol is the main ingredient. The rest is just a little soap and some blue dye mixed with water

The temperature advertised is only if the windshield is heated.

Edit: Maybe not. I just looked at one (-45c) and apparently will not freeze in the reservoir.

Last edited:
I get this, it’s rated down to -35F and it’s $2-3 usually Splash Ultimate

It’s available at most home centers, big box stores and auto parts stores, no need to worry about importing anything from across the border or making a special trip just for washer fluid and at -35 it’s well below any temp my car will ever see. I doubt you’d need anything more in Ypsilanti.

ETA: Per the SDS it does contain Methanol.

Last edited:
All windshield washer fluid is not created equal. I have used various brands and in all honesty, I have found the Costco brand, -45, to be the best, and cheapest.
Also, keep in mind, most of these fluids don't freeze in the jug/reservoir, but rather in the lines that lead to the wipers or sprayers.

Also, keep in mind, Isopropyl will strip the wax from your paint so methanol (to a degree) is the preferred anti-freeze.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-dr...article6487783/

On the flip side of this-why are you searching for such a low temp solvent?

I’ve briefly seen -17 F or so air temps or so here in the west side, and not significantly different in the Metro Detroit area, even the -25 stuff is ok at those temps so why the need for -40 or more?

I use the cheap blue stuff sold by a grocery store. Ive used -45 celsius stuff and found no major difference. It was -20 celsius yesterday morning and it didnt freeze. What about buying Methanol and adding it to what you already use? Should have no issue having that get past customs.

Here in Central Florida, very hard to find anything that goes below freezing. Well, why go I need fluid that goes not freeze? Because I sometimes have to go up North, for family emergencies. Here in Florida, dealers to only add water with lots of soap. I have a sign on my washer tank to do not add or fill. Half the time they try anyway as they don't speak English anyway. (Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, Cubans, Columbians, etc.)

On my last trip up north last September, I forgot to buy a couple bottles to bring back.

Originally Posted By: ctrcbob
Here in Central Florida, very hard to find anything that goes below freezing. Well, why go I need fluid that goes not freeze? Because I sometimes have to go up North, for family emergencies. Here in Florida, dealers to only add water with lots of soap. I have a sign on my washer tank to do not add or fill. Half the time they try anyway as they don't speak English anyway. (Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, Cubans, Columbians, etc.)

On my last trip up north last September, I forgot to buy a couple bottles to bring back.

Make the fluid container sign in other languages, as needed.
Most food companies label their products in English and Spanish.
While waiting in line at the grocery store, I study Spanish,
almost ready to graduate my SSL class.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
I wish I could buy the fluid BMW put in at the factory in Germany. Pure alcohol. Completely clear, and what a smell when you washed the windshield!

Pure alcohol, like vodka?
Route a line to your dash for taking samples.
Only when parked, of course.

The Obama administration put in act new laws to reduce methanol (I called a local large manufacture and that's what they said) and they had -25 degs on their bottles and this winter when Trump pulled back stupid ars regulations their bottles now have -35 degs.

I called them a couple years ago and ask why the heck I keep freezing up in my nozzles when it is 15 degs and lower, he said they were federally mandated to lower methanol. I told him I was using their de-icer in the bottle and pouring in to my tank with their [censored] fluid. He said the spray bottle is a bit more concentrated and not "YET" dictated to to reduce it. He said that is what we do here. What a dump ars law. Thank God they pulled that back.

Originally Posted By: BalticBob
Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
I wish I could buy the fluid BMW put in at the factory in Germany. Pure alcohol. Completely clear, and what a smell when you washed the windshield!

Pure alcohol, like vodka?
Route a line to your dash for taking samples.
Only when parked, of course.

LOL
smile.gif

In Siberia, they use a 50/50 blend of distilled water and methylethylreallybadstuff.
Banned here, but I have a huge stash stored in my freezer.

In Siberia, they use a 50/50 blend of distilled water and methylethylreallybadstuff.

Why would you store it in your freezer?

Originally Posted By: kschachn

Why would you store it in your freezer?

No one I know has a freezer.
Would you let me store it in your freezer?
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back