RIG...universal gun grease

Status
Not open for further replies.
Made by Birchwood Casey. Has anyone here ever used this gun grease? I’m looking for a good grease mainly for the slides on my semi automatics. My local gunsmith uses it and recommended it but I would like some other opinions.

It's an old technology grease but still works. I am guessing it is just a basic white lithium based grease. There are plenty of other better greases out there but if you have Rig and like it, go for it. The other old grease that people still love is the old lubri-plate #1.

For gun grease, I use super lube. It is a modern, PTFE grease that has a good consistency for guns. It is also the factory specified lubricant for snap-on ratchets and many others in the industry. It is cheap and easy to get at Harbor Freight.

Very few guns actually NEED grease for lubrication but the ones that do, almost any grease will work. The only grease I really don't recommend is your grade 2 automotive or industial grease. Most of them are too thick, sticky, clingy, smelly and staining for firearms. In other words, those greases will actually glue your tight fitting guns together slightly and they will stain your clothes if you get it on you; never mind the heavy petroleum odor. Treat yourself to some super lube or gun specific grease and be done with it.

Yes, I have used it. In fact, I still have that original tube after 35 years! Its too thick. I have become less picky after Vietnam vet friends say they used axle grease on their ar bolts. @ AR15.com, the most commonly used gun oil is mobil 1. Choose your Weight! Lith grease is good also.

I primarily use oil and grease from non-gun manufacturers like Mobil and SuperLube. REally like superlube, for both guns and tackle and marine stuff. Higher quality and much lower prices.
For cleaning though, I use speciality products like stuff from Hoppes etc. since the copper, lead fouling is pretty specific to guns.
However, I still have some Frog lube and really old Hoppes grease that I also intend to use up. Also have a stash of german Ballistol oil and grease that is quite good when looking for thinner grades.

Last edited:
It's one of the best greases on the market for Stainless Steel on Stainless Steel. Like on the slide rails of an all Stainless semi auto pistol. It will greatly decrease the chance of galling between to similar Stainless Steel components.

Thanks all. I ordered a small tube of RIG grease off Amazon for $8 shipped, mainly for my new Beretta FS92 but also for my 2 polymer S&W Shield and Ruger 380 pistols. The FS92 has an aluminum frame with a SS slide, and I have noticed a bit of wear, mainly a couple of shiny spots on the frame after about 250 rounds. So am I correct in assuming the RIG grease will be just as effective on these slides since neither pistol is SS on SS? I'm hoping the factory coating wearing in several spots is normal for a new pistol, as far as being 'broken in' goes.

I’ve not tried RIG, but I can recommend TW-25. A small bottle has lasted quite a while in use on my auto pistols, and some rifles. Light, no smell, and lubricates well.

My M1 Garands get Mobil 1 grease, but I wouldn’t use that on my auto pistols, or on my other rifles. Too heavy.

As an auto breaks in, there will be some “shiny spots” where metal-metal contact has smoothed out the finish that was left by the machining process. I wouldn’t sweat that. And I wouldn’t consider a 250 round pistol to be finished breaking in.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
..... So am I correct in assuming the RIG grease will be just as effective on these slides since neither pistol is SS on SS?

Yes, it will be fine. The reason Stainless on Stainless requires a good grade of grease, is because Stainless Steel can be "gummy" due to the Nickel content of the metal itself. Nickel allows the Stainless Steel to gall much easier. Rig, and other good quality greases stay put and prevent this. That's the biggest singular advantage to a "two tone" auto pistol. (Stainless Steel slide with a blued carbon steel frame). The dissimilar metals greatly decrease the risk of galling.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
Thanks all. I ordered a small tube of RIG grease off Amazon for $8 shipped, mainly for my new Beretta FS92 but also for my 2 polymer S&W Shield and Ruger 380 pistols. The FS92 has an aluminum frame with a SS slide, and I have noticed a bit of wear, mainly a couple of shiny spots on the frame after about 250 rounds. So am I correct in assuming the RIG grease will be just as effective on these slides since neither pistol is SS on SS? I'm hoping the factory coating wearing in several spots is normal for a new pistol, as far as being 'broken in' goes.

I personally think its a bad idea to use grease. Actually the Ruger LCP doesn't even call for any lube on the rails (yes, I have one)

I have 5K+ rounds on my G42. I clean it maybe every 500 rounds. I use a drop of on each rail(every 500 rounds) I had a shield and same with that.

I understand the principle of lub and that's just what we do on this board. But otherwise there is no justification for jusing it except on a stainless rig. How many 10 of thousands of rounds do you want the thing to last?

I like quiet slides and hear absolutely nothing on takeback and forward thrusts. That's on my G42 and LCP.

I clean after my 50-round box is finished at the range. Only use oil inside barrel - outside of barrel / lug and around moving trigger parts.
Everywhere else sees Superlube grease.

I like quiet slides and hear absolutely nothing on takeback and forward thrusts. That's on my G42 and LCP.

I clean after my 50-round box is finished at the range. Only use Lucas synthetic oil inside barrel - outside of barrel and around moving trigger parts.
Everywhere else sees Superlube grease, including the barrel lug.

Originally Posted By: Al
I personally think its a bad idea to use grease.

That's going to be gun, and weather specific. Different guns like different lubes. If you live in Alaska, grease is probably not for you. If you live in South Florida, you would find that grease stays put, and is about superior to any other regular lube. TW25B is a wonder lube. The stuff is amazing. I can lube up a Sig P226 with the stuff today and stuff it back in the safe, and it will still be perfectly lubricated 3 years from now. I use it on my carry guns as well. Why? Because I dont have to re-lubricate every 20-30 days, as if I used gun oil. I can carry a gun for 6 or 9 months, and it will be perfectly lubricated the entire time. Grease doesn't dry up. Gun oil dries up and disappears.

So for my use, in my climate, for the majority of my guns, grease is superior.

Lately Ive been using the 0000 Very thin grease from ALG, and it is the bomb.

Gun specific-
Classic Sigs - NEED grease on the slide rails
Classic Beretta - grease
Ruger 10/22 - CLP gun oil
M1 Garand - grease
AR15 - high viscosity gun oil
Glock- can realistically be ran dry. Gun oil or very thin coating of grease, doesn't matter
Ruger LCP - thin coating of grease on slide rails

... not intended for gman....

For us pocket wearers that do not use a holster carrying real heavy trigger DA micro pocket pistols like Kahr CW380s, LCPs, Pico's....etc..., grease is the best remedy to avoid residue occurring in our front pockets. Grease also quiets slides noticeably.

I can take a person's gun oil-only pistol that hasn't seen oil in 400 rounds and quiet the [censored] out it. If people like to hear their slides grinding @ 500+ rounds, that's fine with me. Just glad it's not my gun.

Last edited by a moderator:
My recollection is that the RIG grease is pretty much intended as a storage product, similar to cosmoline. Not really for use on guns being fired.

BSW

Originally Posted By: bsmithwins
My recollection is that the RIG grease is pretty much intended as a storage product, similar to cosmoline. Not really for use on guns being fired.

BSW

I think you are correct. Here are the product FAQ's from Birchwood Casey on RIG grease:

FAQ

Q: When should I use Universal Gun Grease?
A: Great for long-term protection.

Q: How do you apply Universal Gun Grease?
A:Apply in thin coats, wiping and removing excess with a cloth wipe.

Q: Does RIG Universal Gun Grease contain graphite?
A: No.

Here is a link to the MSDS. The composition section shows that RIG is 71% petrolatum (slightly less refined vaseline?), 14% sodium sulfonate (slippery soap?) and then a few basic petroleum distillates (solvents?)...... Color me unimpressed. And many of you out there think Ballistol is overpriced baby oil?

https://www.birchwoodcasey.com/getattachment/Resources/Safety-Data-Sheets/40020,-40027,-40045,-30002-RIG-Universal-Grease-(1).pdf.aspx

Originally Posted By: AMC
Here is a link to the MSDS. The composition section shows that RIG is 71% petrolatum (slightly less refined vaseline?), 14% sodium sulfonate (slippery soap?) and then a few basic petroleum distillates (solvents?)...... Color me unimpressed. And many of you out there think Ballistol is overpriced baby oil?

https://www.birchwoodcasey.com/getattachment/Resources/Safety-Data-Sheets/40020,-40027,-40045,-30002-RIG-Universal-Grease-(1).pdf.aspx

This is what I was referring to.

https://tlooutdoors.com/products/rig-p-s...X8aAmV0EALw_wcB

No mention if this RIG for Stainless is also recommended for non-stainless barrels. When product makers don't mention using stuff like this in other applications, it puts up a red flag with me. I don't care for having multiple greases - one for each type of gun. I prefer something universal.
If I ever decide to use grease in my barrels, I'll first try the real light ALG. Or I will use what blackpowder gun enthusiasts use.... Montana Extreme

http://www.montanaxtreme.com/products/?id=9&product=BoreConditioner

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
No mention if this RIG for Stainless is also recommended for non-stainless barrels.

Stainless Steel is more prone to galling than carbon steel is. Thus a lubricant that is better suited for this type of application is more desirable. With that said it's not going to harm a carbon steel weapon. Any more than if you put Castrol 75,000 mile motor oil into a new engine, it's not going to turn into concrete. People tend to get carried away with this kind of application stuff. Most guns act up from too little lubricant. Rather than the wrong type.

+1 ... I use RIG grease on bluing or parkerized finish before storage to prevent rust .
Originally Posted By: bsmithwins

BSW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back