Anyone care to talk about wrist watches?

I know this topic has been discussed before and I have actually contributed. However, I love wrist watches! Sometimes I can't get enough conversation about watches(just like cars).

Jump aboard and tell us what you have, are wearing, thinking about buying etc. I'd love to hear more.

I have a soft spot for the old American name watches of my Father's time. They're not what I would wear but, love looking at them and holding them in my hand!

Benrus
Bulova
Elgin
Gruen
Hamilton
Timex

Today, I wear mostly automatic watches from the typical names. Accutron/Bulova, Citizen, Seiko. I actually don't own a Eco-Drive, Solar, Kinetic watch but, am thinking about it. And I do own plenty of quartz watches but all I seem to do is replace the batteries in them without wearing them much.

I also have a fondness of the larger name Swiss watchmakers but, I don't actually own any of them however, I do have an old Longines quartz from the late 70's/early 80's.

I have an old Gruen wrist watch that my uncle wore in the early 1960's. It is still a good running timepiece. Along with the Gruen, I have a couple of Hamilton Railway Special pocket watches that keep pretty good time (one of them is on the table right next to me as I type). My most recent purchase is a Citizen EcoDrive Mens Pro Master Dive watch. It is pretty plain (I never was drawn to watches with a lot of complications and I like a easy to read dial) but built like a tank. The Seiko Kinetic Dive Watch SKA371P2 (metal case + rubber bracelet) was the other watch I was looking at, but I went with the Eco Drive. Supposedly, the internal battery is good for 30 years.

Though I have a Timex that was given to me, I rarely wear it. I stopped decades ago because I can't stand wearing rings, jewelry or any other kind of body ornament.I have a clock in almost every room in the house, plus one on each computer and another in each car. I'm surrounded by time almost all of the time and if those aren't enough I can always get someone who is already using their phone to give me the time.

I've always liked Luminox. I had a chance to try some on a while back, but to me they looked too big once on my wrist. I must be a little guy I guess.

I have the same issue with sunglasses. They look great until I try them on..

I am well into my 70's and a watch (as a timepiece) has to be large and intelligible due to my less than youthful eyesight.
I posted in previous threads a pic of my favourite Gruen. It's not expensive or fancy but it is easy to read.
56.gif

I also have a recent Casio "solar" that works well and doesn't bother me with nuisance battery changes

After many years of not wearing a wristwatch I started wearing one again.

I like field watches and tool watches, but I don't own anything nice. I wear either a Seiko 5 Sport automatic or a Swiss Army Recon.

https://goo.gl/images/PuL7bB
https://goo.gl/images/QtJtio

For a while I was traveling a lot in places where accessing power to recharge devices was a challenge. Having a watch was nice. It's also easier to just glance at my wrist as opposed to pulling my phone out of my pocket, turning it on, and being tempted to visit BITOG!

I wasn't a particular fan of watches, but when my grandpa gave me his '73 Accutron (presented to him in commemoration of 25 years at the GM St. Louis assembly plant) I studied up on them some and it's quite interesting. That watch is gold plated so wearing it everyday as a mechanic would beat it up - I'd love to have a stainless spaceview or RR approved version and save the other for less abusive circumstances.

Eddie,
Consider having it fixed. It may be something simple. Those are classic wrist watches indeed!

I've recently cleaned or had fixed, several watches from my Dad & Uncle. From a 1945 Benson ***, '58 Benrus 39 Jewel, '64 Times Self-Wind & '67 Belforte Pacer 700. NOW, I am working on 3 - mid 30's Bulova's...The square/rectangle mens watches.

All gorgeous timepieces. Especially when they're opened up and you can see the movements & workmanship. To me, the most beautiful part of the watch is the part most people will never see and, that's the inside.

Last edited:
I have a Seiko Titanium Kinetic watch. I also have a number of high end watches, Brietling, Tag, etc.

That Seiko is my fav. Light weight, never needs batteries, runs for months without wearing it. Tough.

41WSVYZNNJL.jpg

I have dozens of watches. Oldest is from 52. Newest from 2017. Love old Hamiltons and Benrus. Recently bought a Hamiltin Ventura. Most I've ever spent on a watch.

My nicest watch is a Hamilton Khaki ad I wear it almost every day. The rest are Casio. They only watch I ever get comments on is my Casio calculator watch.

I bought a Hamilton khaki field officer mechanical hand wind watch a few years ago. It wouldn't stay running the first day I wound it. Very disappointing.
Wal-Mart had a Seiko 5 23 jewel automatic made in Japan I got for $58 when they were new to online sales about 15 years ago. I never cared about metal watch bands,
so I gave it to my brother.

I just bought one of these in April through Kickstarter and just received it and it's pretty sweet. It has analog hands right through the middle of the screen. The screen can be customized and it communicates with your phone. The hands also move out of the way when reading a message. The battery in it is rechargeable and lasts a long time.

https://ksr-video.imgix.net/projects/2868469/video-762956-h264_high.mp4

Last edited:
Kind of a lost art now with cell phones. I dont usually wear one as they usually irritate my skin. Granted the most expensive Ive worn is a Fossil watch..i have a couple Kenneth Cole unlisted (cheap) watches. I typically only wear them on special occasions if I remember to!

Have Tissot, Eco-Drive, couple Seiko, ... but if I wear any it’s one of the Casio’s
wink.gif

I have a tissot from HS graduation (73) still runs , my dads Bulova self winder and a old Gruen 21 jewel wind up watch.

Along with a couple of Timex ironmans I wear at work and my 20th anniversary Seiko with lots of bling on it . I wear that a times a year to special occasions

Back