Centrifugal Oil Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use to work at a bike shop way back when while going to school. A lot of smaller cc dirt bikes only had a pick-up screen (no oil filter) , but they had a centripetal oil cleaner that you could take apart and there was always some collected crud inside like you see in the video.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
I use to work at a bike shop way back when while going to school. A lot of smaller cc dirt bikes only had a pick-up screen (no oil filter) , but they had a centripetal oil cleaner that you could take apart and there was always some collected crud inside like you see in the video.

Cool... I hadn't heard of it until recently.

Looks like this can be set up for under 400 bucks (the one in the video is $2k on eBay
crazy2.gif
) , seems like a good bypass filtration option.

Incredible items, but a pain to set up on most small trucks.

Don't know how well the Cummins ones work, but people who have had the Spinner reported finding little to nothing in the can, as well as some very lackluster UOA's.

Originally Posted By: StevieC

Standard on small motorcycles here, which nearly all use Honda CB or CG clone engines.

Cleaning them out is not-so-standard. I'd bet money it is never done in most cases.

OTOH the scooters mostly don't have centrifugal (or any) filtration (so clearly its lack isn't rapidly fatal) but they don't have a shared sump/wet clutch setup either.

Originally Posted By: Ducked

Standard on small motorcycles here, which nearly all use Honda CB or CG clone engines.

Cleaning them out is not-so-standard. I'd bet money it is never done in most cases.

OTOH the scooters mostly don't have centrifugal (or any) filtration (so clearly its lack isn't rapidly fatal) but they don't have a shared sump/wet clutch setup either.

I doubt many people even know some bike engines have a centrifugal filter. The ones I worked on had screws or sometimes a big circlip that had to be removed to in order to pop the cover off. Usually did find a thick layer of caked on debris that had to be cleaned out.

Example:
changeoil_centrifugal2.jpg

We had several Freightliner M2 trucks with the Mercedes engine in them that utilized a centrifuge filter. They consistently had better oil analysis numbers than our Cummins engines with an OCI double that of the Cummins. Same type of service, same oil, same brand of oil filters.

I had a Honda Super 90 that had this kind of filter. I don't see how it would be better than a Frantz or Trasko that filter down to submicron particles, and take out water. It's good, but better? Not unless it spins out water and coolant.

After talking with Terry on the subject he informs me he has done testing in the past and that some of these early ones were so efficient they took additives right out of the oil. Remember he used to work for Cummins.
wink.gif

Last edited:
After talking with Terry on the subject he informs me he has done testing in the past and that some of these early ones were so efficient they took additives right out of the oil. Remember he used to work for Cummins.
wink.gif

Can you post the correspondence? I'd like to see the reasoning of how any centrifuge could remove molecular compounds.

I can't because it's tangled in my UOA analysis report dialogue I have going back/forth with Terry which is proprietary and confidential but there is nothing stopping you from using his paid service which allows you to ask all the questions you want once you are a customer and bound by the same terms.

I'm not blowing smoke, I really am not allowed to share the correspondence as it is a term of his service to protect the way he does analysis. You can ask anyone here who also uses his service.

Sorry.

Edit: Here is proof that I discussed it with him. The exact wording I can't post.

Last edited:
I can't because it's tangled in my UOA analysis report dialogue I have going back/forth with Terry which is proprietary and confidential but there is nothing stopping you from using his paid service which allows you to ask all the questions you want once you are a customer and bound by the same terms.

I'm not blowing smoke, I really am not allowed to share the correspondence as it is a term of his service to protect the way he does analysis. You can ask anyone here who also uses his service.

Sorry.

Edit: Here is proof that I discussed it with him. The exact wording I can't post.

Lmao. This is your best post yet. That's the oldest trick in the book you know.

1. We have proof it works!
2. Show us the proof.
1. We can't, it's proprietary.

As someone who worked in a research department for a large corporation and used ultra-high speed centrifuges, I'm going to call bunk on that claim.

If you like the centrifugal filters just ask Ihatetochangeoil, he's running one on his car and doing well. As far as I know he hasn't changed the oil since he installed it.

Doug Hillary used centrifuges in his OTR diesel truck trains that he did the testing of Delvac 1 on in the Australian outback. The ones where he he did the 1.2 million Km tear-down with the pull of the liner, piston and bearings for one cylinder and everything spec'd "as new". He's quite fond of them as I recall.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

Lmao. This is your best post yet. That's the oldest trick in the book you know.

1. We have proof it works!
2. Show us the proof.
1. We can't, it's proprietary.

As someone who worked in a research department for a large corporation and used ultra-high speed centrifuges, I'm going to call bunk on that claim.

E-mail him and ask him about his non-disclosure and you will see for yourself. But yeah it's probably easier to and try it make it look like I'm hiding something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back