Champ XL Oil Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hadn't seen this posted previously. I got to thinking about Champ's big switch to Ecore as much as possible in 2003 for their own brand, and lack of competition from Champ with the many 10K miles oil filters on the current market, many from outside the USA.

Well it turns out Champ now offers Champ XL oil filters. Named synthetic, further detail shows these are a synthetic blend media. No mileage rating, efficiency, or dirt holding capacity is shown in the literature I've been able to locate thus far, so I plan to call Champ with these questions. I know there's selective value or lack of it placed here by answers obtained from company tech lines, especially if it's not their pet brand, but it's the best avenue I see here to get that data.

What really interests me on the marketing cutaway document, the example filter shows the typical pre-Ecore Champ base end bypass design as well as a silicone ADBV and as mentioned earlier synthetic blend media. I always liked the base end bypass feature of the pre-Ecore STP oil filters made by Champ, still employed on a few examples today like FoMoCo factory filters, the Mobil 1 M1-209 & M1-301 models, etc.

http://www.champlabs.com/champ-introduces-new-line-synthetic-oil-filters/

http://champfiltration.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/ChampXL_Flyer.pdf

Has anyone here seen one in the wild yet? Especially board members who work as mechanics or installers, as these seem like the regular Champ brand to be targeted at the Do It For Me market.

Given that Champion Labs has made private label synthetic filters for other private label brands, it is not a stretch for them to come out with their own in house branded premium filter.

Also, given that their Champ label has no big box retail presence, for all intents this is just a offering for their jobber market accounts to carry a premium filter.

Maybe being a member of BITOG with installers & mechanics as members, I could get someone to order a minimum quantity of PH820XL for me to check out (with full reimbursement of course) depending on what answers I get from my inquiry. Fram discontinued their FPP installer eqivalent of the Tough Guard, I reckon this to be a competitor to extended life filters we currently see from China & Korea like Pentius, Premium Guard, STP XL, etc. but most likely made in USA (another question for me to ask).

Opticat indicates minimum package quantity of 6.

https://www.opticatonline.com/part/champ-filters-ph820xl-engine-oil-filter

I reckon they'll eventually wind up on eBay and Rockauto even though targeted for installers.

In the opticat link you posted under extended product information, it says country of origin primary United States, so yes they are made in the USA. And they do have a consumer level smallest pack of 1 filter under package information.

It would be interesting to pick up a Champ XL LFP780XL and compare it with a Luberfiner Imperial XL LFP780, which is also a synthetic media blend-and they have almost identical part numbers, made by the exact same company?

Last edited:
This is not a surprise because recently Champion Labs has manufactured synthetic blend oil filters for Mobil 1, Pennzoil and Castrol (SFX line). I'm guessing these may retail for $7 to $8 before discounts for jobbers, etc.

Pennzoil brand oil filters including the synthetic HPZ series are manufactured by Purolator.

Check out the BPV design, especially the spring, on this cut open Pennzoil HPZ-37 as one example

https://www.amazon.com/review/reviews-lightbox//ref=cm_cr_arp_mb_img?ie=UTF8&asin=B008YUE9BY

Mobil 1 oil filters have been using synthetic blend media and manufactured by Champion Laboratories for many years, not just recently.

No idea how long Castrol SFX filters have been manufactured.

Pricing of Champ XL filters is shown on the marketing flyer link in initial post.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BigD1
In the opticat link you posted under extended product information, it says country of origin primary United States, so yes they are made in the USA. And they do have a consumer level smallest pack of 1 filter under package information.

This is the part that stands out to me since these aren't available at retail.

"Minimum Order Quantity 6 Each"

I called Champ Labs today and was transferred from Customer Service to Technical Service, whose representative said he was looking up info on engineering drawings & documents throughout the course of my questions.

1. Confirmed Champ XL filters are Made in USA

2. The Champ PH820XL has dome end bypass ( which dropped my interest level).

3. Efficiency is 99% @ 20 microns (I did not ask test method used).

4. Chsmp XL filters do not have an increased dirt holding capacity nor a specific mileage rating. Champ Labs philosophy with these XL filters are exclusively for use with synthetic oil which per Champ Labs produces less degradation products. The synthetic blend media per Champ Labs is to improve the particle capture efficiency.

5. Champ Labs would not cover a Champ XL filter used for 20K miles with for example Mobil 1 AP oil. However, Champ Labs would cover a Champ XL oil filter used in conjunction with an oil rated for 10K miles such as "plain" Mobil 1.

6. Champ Labs will not cover a Champ XL oil filtet used for more than one OCI.

I decided I wasn't really interested at this point and didn't dig deeper. Anyone interested in more info can call Champ Labs for more deails.

These appear to be a good USA manufactured alternative to XL oil filters with brands like Pentius, Premium Guard, Ecogard, etc. for the installer market.

Me, I'll continue amassing more Frampion Carquest Blue 84899 filters to add to my stash for my truck.

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
.... has dome end bypass ( which dropped my interest level)

I don't buy into this debate. The bypass is barely even cracked for the briefest moment.

Nyogtha- The Champ XL would make a pretty good filter for up to 10K mile changes.

In the past, I quizzed Champ about the PH820. CS said they tested all their oil filters per ISO 4548-12 @ 20 microns. The PH820 tests 90% @ 20 micron per ISO 4548-12. Capacity is 8 grams dirt. Better than some OEM and some jobber filters. This also trumps WIX XP for efficiency.

The XL solves two issues: anti drain back failure is fixed with a decent silicone ADBV and a separate spring loaded bypass gives confidence in the bypass valve setting. And gives a nice bump in efficiency.

In the cut open view I didnt see a leaf spring or coil spring. Which one do they use? I like the base cap bypass valve. The oil dont get washed over a dirty filter to go into the engine when it opens.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
.... has dome end bypass ( which dropped my interest level)

I don't buy into this debate. The bypass is barely even cracked for the briefest moment.

I'm not selling nor debating anything. I currently have 17 oil filters gor my truck with dome end bypass in my stash, which I think is plenty. If I were to find a base end bypass filter for my truck with silicone ADBV and efficiency of say 99% @ 20 mictons to teplace the Mopar MO-899 oil filters in my stash, I'd be interested.

I do have some personal experience with negative effects of dome end bypass oil gilter Mobil 1 M1-210 during ambient temperatures below 10°F in Northern Ohio you likely don't have though that I do not wish to repeat. Using base end bypass oil filters the prior winter (NAPA PS 27899) and subsequent winter (Mopar MO-899) did not produce the same undesirable effect in my personal experience, hence my personal choice for winter operation of my personal vehicle.

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4043661/2

Nothing personal of course.

Originally Posted By: CajunLariat
In the cut open view I didnt see a leaf spring or coil spring. Which one do they use? I like the base cap bypass valve. The oil dont get washed over a dirty filter to go into the engine when it opens.

I decided I wasn't really interested at this point and didn't dig deeper. Anyone interested in more info can call Champ Labs for more deails.

I called Champ Labs today and was transferred from Customer Service to Technical Service, whose representative said he was looking up info on engineering drawings & documents throughout the course of my questions.

1. Confirmed Champ XL filters are Made in USA

2. The Champ PH820XL has dome end bypass ( which dropped my interest level).

3. Efficiency is 99% @ 20 microns (I did not ask test method used).

4. Chsmp XL filters do not have an increased dirt holding capacity nor a specific mileage rating. Champ Labs philosophy with these XL filters are exclusively for use with synthetic oil which per Champ Labs produces less degradation products. The synthetic blend media per Champ Labs is to improve the particle capture efficiency.

5. Champ Labs would not cover a Champ XL filter used for 20K miles with for example Mobil 1 AP oil. However, Champ Labs would cover a Champ XL oil filter used in conjunction with an oil rated for 10K miles such as "plain" Mobil 1.

6. Champ Labs will not cover a Champ XL oil filtet used for more than one OCI.

These appear to be a good USA manufactured alternative to XL oil filters with brands like Pentius, Premium Guard, Ecogard, etc. for the installer market.

Me, I'll continue amassing more Frampion Carquest Blue 84899 filters to add to my stash for my truck.
I agree on the synthetic producing less material to filter out, especially on a clean fuel injected engine. Unfortunately, these Champ XLs just aren't competitive with the eBay Ultra 6-packs-either in price, or performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back