Another reason to avoid Midas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wife took Forester to get snow tires swapped. Three days later I get an email grom CarFax asking me to rate the service Midas provided for my Forester. So Midas sold the info to CarFax. As bad as DMV selling the info.

Don't know if Midas sold or just reported your service to Carfax. If you were considering a used car purchase, wouldn't you want to know what services were performed on it? This is one way to determine that.

I'm not seeing the problem?
21.gif

Most dealerships and shops do the same thing, what makes Midas different?

Expect a slow, steady slew of soon to be bankrupt by design extended warranty companies to send you mail when they think your factory warranty has expired.

Last edited:
As much as I hate muffler shops, I don't see an issue here. It's possible Carfax already knows the owner of the vehicle. and Midas just reported the service. Selling dealer might have been the one to give them your email.

No worries Donald,it's perfectly normal. When I ran the Carfax on my Accord pre-purchase,it showed the same quickie lube in Houston doing regular oil changes on it,which I liked seeing.

Originally Posted By: Donald
So Midas sold the info to CarFax.

I've been cold-called by CarFax and they wanted to install their data pump on our shop's server for free LOL

I hate companies collecting any information about me without my consent.

I absolutely agree with you. I am the customer. I own the car. I paid for the services rendered. It should be entirely up to me if information regarding those services are shared with anyone else.

There is absolutely no reasonable assumption of privacy in this day and age. Everyone sells information about you to someone else. They justify it as providing opportunities that you would not otherwise get. But that should be your choice.

And you can tell from many of the comments here that most have surrendered to the idea. Thrown in the towel, if they even ever understood why they needed the towel.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Expect a slow, steady slew of soon to be bankrupt by design extended warranty companies to send you mail when they think your factory warranty has expired.

Expect a slow, steady slew of soon to be bankrupt by design extended warranty companies to CALL you when they think your factory warranty has expired.

I still get almost daily calls from a company in Texas for the last several years on a car I no longer own. The incoming number is always different in a day or two, but usually has the first six digits (area code and the next 3 digits of my old local phone when living in Texas 3 years ago) and I have never been able to speak to a real person to get them to stop calling!

I think I will have to say yes I am interested the next time the robo call comes in and see where that takes me. The do not call list is a joke, as I have reported every number that has called.

Originally Posted By: BHopkins

I absolutely agree with you. I am the customer. I own the car. I paid for the services rendered. It should be entirely up to me if information regarding those services are shared with anyone else.

There is absolutely no reasonable assumption of privacy in this day and age. Everyone sells information about you to someone else. They justify it as providing opportunities that you would not otherwise get. But that should be your choice.

And you can tell from many of the comments here that most have surrendered to the idea. Thrown in the towel, if they even ever understood why they needed the towel.

It's not a secret:

https://service.carfax.com/csn/partners

More places for you to avoid to keep your car repairs private from prying eyes.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ls973800

Expect a slow, steady slew of soon to be bankrupt by design extended warranty companies to CALL you when they think your factory warranty has expired.

I still get almost daily calls from a company in Texas for the last several years on a car I no longer own. The incoming number is always different in a day or two, but usually has the first six digits (area code and the next 3 digits of my old local phone when living in Texas 3 years ago) and I have never been able to speak to a real person to get them to stop calling!

I think I will have to say yes I am interested the next time the robo call comes in and see where that takes me. The do not call list is a joke, as I have reported every number that has called.

Just give these idiots the runaround if you have a few minutes. It's amazing how long they'll let you drag them along.

As for CarFax, I've seen shops tout it as an advantage that they do update.

Donald and Skyactiv,

There is still some "lea-away" in the system because of people:
-I work for about 5 years as a contractor of a contractor for a warranty company;
-the amount of wrong data, misspelled names, addresses , cars, or warranty options (cannot follow their own rules) made making those warranty booklets a real headache
-it does not give me a lot of trust for dealers being capable of typing something in front of them correctly....

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Just give these idiots the runaround if you have a few minutes. It's amazing how long they'll let you drag them along.

^^^ better then listening to the same holidays songs play-list

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
If you want privacy there is still one place left. Lock yourself in the bathroom, but don't take your phone.

Better make that your own bathroom. And you can never really be sure about that.

I don't think its such a bad thing. It does show the car as being serviced and the service history can be followed.
Carfax has saved me some grief in the past with documentation on sketchy cars that have been sold at auction and title washed totals that were being sold private half the country away.
A clean Carfax could make the car more desirable and worth a little more in the future if you sell it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back