Repairing Aluminum Oil Pans Threads

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking around on one of my Ford truck websites and came across this quick fix. I don't know how to react to it because I have never seen the outcome of the process. If it actually works and NEVER leaks, than this IS the best thing to come along since sliced bread! Opinions?

https://youtu.be/hfaCI3jmdCM

I thought to myself “maybe” until I saw the plug is magnetic at the end.

Nope, no way, not gonna happen.

As a buddy of mine once told me “a cross thread is a tight thread”
laugh.gif

The person that had the oil pan with the bad threads has an engine the same as mine (His was an 06 4.2 V6, 2 WD). I suggested to him to just pull the oil pan and replace it. When my cousin fixed the oil leak on my pan he had no problems pulling the pan at all. No engine jacking and no cross members to remove.

I don't like it. I don't like the looks of that giant behemoth sticking out of the oil pan with the exposed threads and the epoxy goop that looks like plumber's putty showing. This product is obviously marketed to the consumer who is scared to death of traditional thread repair systems. I could've easily repaired that oil pan and you would've never known it was repaired.

If this was me doing my own repair at home, I think it would be fine. Not a fan of a magnetic plug, but if it saves me an oil pan, or even buys me time to plan the job out, I would be ok with it.

Don't they sell kits where you can literally drill/tap to the next size? Seems like that would be a cleaner and more straight forward fix.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
Don't they sell kits where you can literally drill/tap to the next size? Seems like that would be a cleaner and more straight forward fix.

They sell oversized drain plugs that cut their own threads; that's one other option.

Self-tapping oil-drain port insert? Bit clunky, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Looks like the oil won't drain as well after installation.

I'm guessing a lot of y'all would insist on a torque wrench setting for installing it though, and then you'll break it.

I wouldn't ever use bare fingers on anything labelled "epoxy" either. You can get very badly sensitised to that stuff.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CT8
Helicoil repair in an aluminum pan

Helicoils don't do well in this environment, they are better suited to static fasteners that are not frequently removed.
For this job a Time Sert is recommended, its permanent, sits flush so the regular size drain bolt washer seals properly and has no tang that needs to be broken off.
The initial investment is more but if its a one time fix you can sell the kit on ebay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back