New Commuter Car ideas... maybe more fun

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had the Corolla since 2008...put many miles on it and it still runs great...so great that I am thinking that my son could use it for school next year as I totally trust it and want him to have reliable first car.

Anyway so that leaves me looking for a new commuter. I have been out of the 'car search mode' for so long I need some ideas. Corolla is great, but I could use some more driving dynamic, more peppy closer to 200hp. It still needs to get decent fuel economy though. Due to the nature of my employment (I work with the less fortunate) it needs to be somewhat low profile, not flashy.

Honda Civic SI is off the list...hate the body style.
No CVT = no Nissan
Golf TSI, GTI? (I had a 1992 VW Jetta Turbo Diesel it was temperamental for the cold weather, but gave awesome fuel economy)

...other choices?

mazda 6 2.5turbo 6speed automatic 250hp/300tq

Mazda cars are usually "setup" to be more of a drivers car.

better handling etc.

Originally Posted By: Rand
mazda 6 2.5turbo 6speed automatic 250hp/300tq. Mazda cars are usually "setup" to be more of a drivers car.
better handling etc.

They don't sell these for 2018 in Canada. Used models have been rat-bagged and rare up here. Every Mazda I have seen has rust on the rear quarter panel where the bumper meets the body.

Gonna sound biased, but GTI. The regular Golf is, ok, but for a couple grand more you can have a GTI. 220hp and 260ft/lb tq, it's a hoot to drive. You can expect around 32-36mpg on average using premium, but you can use regular. As far as reliability, as long as you don't mod it, you'll be golden.

Originally Posted By: Rand
mazda 6 2.5turbo 6speed automatic 250hp/300tq

Mazda cars are usually "setup" to be more of a drivers car.

better handling etc.

I would have mentioned the new turbo but with the auto I am not sure. I had a skyactiv six speed transmission and it always wanted to be in 6th. Row your own.

Originally Posted By: Delta
Gonna sound biased, but GTI. The regular Golf is, ok, but for a couple grand more you can have a GTI. 220hp and 260ft/lb tq, it's a hoot to drive. You can expect around 32-36mpg on average using premium, but you can use regular. As far as reliability, as long as you don't mod it, you'll be golden.

pm sent

Ford Fusion sport with the 2.7L V6 ecoboost and a tune
smile.gif
Pick charcoal color. Looks like every other sedan on the road. Ultra fun with a tune.

Last edited:
What's the budget? Are you only planning to buy new? Auto (non CVT) transmission only? No manual transmissions? What size vehicle (Subcompact, compact, midsized)?

I don't know if they still make them with manuals transmissions, but maybe an Impreza? AWD might be a bonus, with decent mileage still. I do like the GTI option.

I wonder how close a regular Fiesta is to the ST version in terms of fun driving? I would try a Mazda3 first, they are fun. Perhaps a Camry SE?

V6 Camry or an Avalon. Boy do those cars move! Low 30’s mpg on the highway, or 7.35L/100km

Or as said above, a 2.0T Sonata

I hate to say it but I love my 2016 Versa for a commuter car. Great headroom and space (I am 6'and 250lbs) I paid around 12.5k and an overall average 35 mpg with a best of 42. During the summers, I get 37-39 regularly. I specifically got this with the 4 speed auto because it's petty much tried and true but I'm sure being phased out for the CVT. It's ugly and bright white but it serves it purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back