Liqui Moly Special Tec V 0w30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello BITOG. What do you all think about this oil for my 2016 Volvo V60 T5 Drive-E 2.0 Turbo? It's a bit spendy at $40 for 5 liters, but I want to keep things by the book while the car is under warranty at least. Volvo's recommendations in the owner's manual are very unclear to me. Am I safe switching to something like PP 5w-30 or Mobil1 0w-30 after the warranty runs out, or stick to this supposedly special Volvo formulation from Liqui Moly?

https://pim.liqui-moly.de/pidoc/P000321/3768-SpecialTecV0W-30-26.0-en.pdf

https://products.liqui-moly.com/special-tec-v-0w-30-6.html

QuYfE4F.jpg

"Fully synthetic A5/B5 must be used." There you go, that is your minimum spec. You are good to go with a 5W-30 or 0W-30 A5/B5 fully synthetic oil. Also, FWIW, I have never been impressed by Liqui-Moly engine oils, based on both personal experience and seeing UOAs.

Last edited:
PP 5W-30 is rated A5/B5, so that would be acceptable during warranty.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: drtyler
PP 5W-30 is rated A5/B5, so that would be acceptable during warranty.

This is what I would use as well. Can't go wrong with PP 5W-30. It's also HTO-06 rated, which means it can handle the high heat of turbos.

Last edited:
BTW you gonna have problems if you put a acea a1 spec after the warranty. Most be minimum a acea a5. But you can use a acea a3/b4 mobil 1 FS 0w-40

Originally Posted By: Bjornviken
There is too a Castrol Edge 0w-30 acea a5 and amsoil 5w-30 is too a acea a5

Really? Which one? I mean one that actually has the certification, not one that they say meets the requirements.

Castrol edge TI 0w-30 A5 is what Volvo recommends in EU. Even have Volvo name/brand on it.

Cool. You said an Amsoil product carries A5, which one is that?

ACEA A5/B5 Stable, stay-in-grade Engine Oil intended for use at extended Drain Intervals in Passenger Car & Light Duty Van Gasoline & Diesel Engines designed to be capable of using Low Viscosity Oils with HTHS Viscosity of 2.9 to 3.5

Amsoil 5w-30 SS.

No, it does not have that certification. A recommendation for use is not the same thing as actual certification.

Amsoil have the spec. its stays in grade and have a HTHS between 2.9-3.5. Acea A5 is a thinner variant off Acea A3. Amsoil 5w-30 is way better than a acea a5 and can be used in a modern turbo engine with no problems. The acea a5 is a fuel saving oil that can bee used in a turbo car.Thats the point with this spec, try to run a 0w-20 in a turbo engine and do a UOA.

Amsoil have the spec. its stays in grade and have a HTHS between 2.9-3.5. Acea A5 is a thinner variant off Acea A3. Amsoil 5w-30 is way better than a acea a5 and can be used in a modern turbo engine with no problems. The acea a5 is a fuel saving oil that can bee used in a turbo car.Thats the point with this spec, try to run a 0w-20 in a turbo engine and do a UOA.

No it doesn't.

It's my understanding that ACEA is a "self-certification" process, unlike a manufacturer approval like LL-01, which requires oil to be tested by BMW for example. Amsoil SS 5W-30 is a top tier product, and I would be very surprised if it didn't meet A5/B5.

If you are looking for a great oil at a great price that meets your required spec, PP 5W-30 is really your only option. All of the others Liqui-Moly, Castrol, Motul, etc. are going to be expensive, because they are a niche/low-volume product. BMW "TwinPower Turbo 0W-30" is another A5/B5 full syn oil, but expensive ($8-10 per liter).

Last edited:
Yes it does. Read the acea spec.

Why do I have to read it? Why wouldn't Amsoil say it carries the spec rather than saying:

Quote:
Use AMSOIL Signature Series Synthetic Motor Oil in applications that require any of the following specifications

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
It's my understanding that ACEA is a "self-certification" process, unlike a manufacturer approval like LL-01, which requires oil to be tested by BMW for example. Amsoil SS 5W-30 is a top tier product, and I would be very surprised if it didn't meet A5/B5.

Me neither.

Last I checked, Valvoline 5w30 was A5/B5 as well. Both their Full Syn Maxlife and their regular Full Syn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back