Car making noises (description)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, gentlemen, could use your expertise here.

2006 Hyundai Elantra, 122,xxx miles.

Sound #1: In the mornings when I start the car (or anytime when it's cold) there is a loud squealing sound when I turn the wheel. I would imagine it's coming from power steering, but would it be a bad belt of bad pump?

Sound #2: There is a chirping/squealing sound coming from the engine as I drive. It goes up in frequency as the RPMs increase.

Thank you

Had the exact same car.

#1 Belt is gone or it needs tensioning. You do that by loosening the alternator,(change the belt) prying on it with a lever and re tight it.

#2 Could be the alternator bearing, AC, PS pump or the timing belt tensioner bearing.

Bullet proof engines unless you do something stupid to them like not changing the oil for 30K miles.

I agree with Andy here. That belt needs replacing and/or tightening. Get that taken care of and you should see those symptoms go away.

I agree with the other guys, sounds like a fairly simple, routing belt issue. At that mileage, it's probably a good idea to just replace the belt. You can try tighten the belt if it appears to be in good condition for a short term fix.

You can check the belt by spraying something on it while it is running. If it gets quiet, you know which belt it is or if it is the belt. However, no chemical (belt dressing) is a fix for a loose belt. Please either replace or tighten.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back