Delco PF48E low oil pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry for the long post.

I have a 2010 Silverado 5.3 with Afm that I drive for work. For a while now the oil pressure has been getting lower. Used to be around 40 psi hot idle and get lower to 30 psi after a few thousand miles on the oil. Been getting lower as the miles go on - at 123k now.

I had the oil pressure sensor start to blip out out a couple years ago, but am starting to wonder if that was due to the filter and not the sensor. I had the sensor and the famous screen changed - a little sludge was on the screen at the time - had used a protech filter and the mechanic was wondering if it had a problem (I doubt it).

In the last few weeks it started going to 15psi at idle and this week it wouldn't break 40 at cold starts (10°) even over 2000 rpm. It had 20% left on the oil and about 7000 miles so I changed the oil. the parts shop gave me a Wix instead of a Delco since they didn't have any on hand and now I have about 38 psi hot idle. Same oil - 5w30 dexos (pronto/WPP). I would only get 25 psi hot idle with the delco when new in August.

Now as I think about this the pressure has been lower with the delco filters. I used to use wix until we got a new mechanic who uses a different supplier and like OEM. I thought I liked oem too, but apparently the delcos restrict more. The filter is the newer ecore with the poppet valve and I haven't cut it open.

Anyone else dealt with this?

Last edited:
The AC Delco is most likely a Champ build, entry level. I bet if you put an Orange FRAM on there you will see similar results at idle or an erratic oil pressure at idle. If this is a fleet vehicle you may not have any say about what goes on it, in it or shceduled oil changes.

Last edited:
I don't see how an oil filter could lower the hot oil pressure at idle on an engine with a positive displacement oil pump, and an oil pressure sensor located after the oil filter unless there was something else going on. I'm assuming that's the setup the OPs 2010 Silverado 5.3 has ... or does it have some kind of variable volume oil pump?

ZeeOSix
Who knows. It’s a Chevy V8 with 128,000 miles and there may be something else going on. Could be an oil pump going out. With that mileage, the valve stem seals are most likely going bad.

I usually let our mechanic take care of it, but if he is out on jobs and I have nothing to do (construction in MN winter) I do some of my own work. The Wix 57060 seems to be working good now.

"Who knows. It’s a Chevy V8 with 128,000 miles and there may be something else going on. Could be an oil pump going out. With that mileage, the valve stem seals are most likely going bad."

Really - at 123k? I thought these went 200k pretty easy. I have done 5-8k changes usually changing with 30% left for most of its life. Almost all trips are more than 10 miles with a lot of highway trips, some towing and idling also.

Just ask SteveSRT8. he had a 6.0 vortec, if I recall correctly, go 500k miles when he sold it and it was still running great and not leaking or burning any oil. and he changed it according to the OLM. so 123k should be nothing.

Yea, really. I worked for our local government for 31 years and it was not uncommon for valve stem seals to be perished. Lifters that wouldn’t pump up on cold start. And an occasional oil pump go out. That was the Chevys. One plus for our shop was the oil was changed every 5,000 miles and NAPA Gold oil and air filters were used exclusively.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MParr
Yea, really. I worked for our local government for 31 years and it was not uncommon for valve stem seals to be perished. Lifters that wouldn’t pump up on cold start. And an occasional oil pump go out. That was the Chevys. One plus for our shop was the oil was changed every 5,000 miles and NAPA Gold oil and air filters were used exclusively.

An old school chevy small block like a 350 or 305, maybe.

Chevy switched to the LS style 5.3 in 1999 and I honestly can't remember seeing any that needed valve stem seals replaced. I worked at a dealer for a few years and some of the fleet trucks and vans had 300k or more.

If you are happy with the Wix, stick with it. I abandoned AC Delco for all my GMs several years ago. Also try Fram EGs, soon to contain silicone ADBVs.

As soon as they arrive in stores, that's what I'm switching to. My current batch of Fram Ultras are just too flow-restrictive... to my liking. My engines are pretty clean at 125K and I don't need big-time filtering.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
I don't see how an oil filter could lower the hot oil pressure at idle on an engine with a positive displacement oil pump, and an oil pressure sensor located after the oil filter unless there was something else going on. I'm assuming that's the setup the OPs 2010 Silverado 5.3 has ... or does it have some kind of variable volume oil pump?

That's what I was thinking with a positive displacement pump - how could the filter cause a problem even if it was in bypass all the time.

I did google this and got mostly information on a screen before the pressure sensor up in the valve train that can plug up. I thought that was the problem, but then found one site where someone was having troubles with the delco filter and they were talking about a tsb on this problem and the solution by GM was to use the gold ultragard type delco filter if that problem happens. Just trying to see if the wealth of knowledge here had any insite.

I do seem to have the problem fixed - keep using Wix!

My Chevy LS equipped vans and Isuzu NPRs have been running Fram TG for a long while. I haven't bought a Delco filter in forever.

Also haven't had to do any seals, other than the occasional rear main, but these vehicles are all outside of 250k miles.

One in particular is a real POS with 480k that I wish would have an engine problem so I'd have an excuse to get rid of it.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
As soon as they arrive in stores, that's what I'm switching to. My current batch of Fram Ultras are just too flow-restrictive... to my liking.

What makes you believe they are too restrictive? Motorking provided some flow data awhile back on the Ultra and it looked to flow very well - LINK

Sheesh. I missed that one too. Ultra too restrictive?

I'm gonna toss the flag on that one. We use the XG5 ( no bypass) on a boat with a modified oil system that has no in-block bypass, with never an issue.

Owner (former circle track racer) swears by that system against our advice, but never comes in for an engine problem.

I've used Ultra on my Cummins (no bypass), and despite our engines having a 50psi bypass valve in block, never an oil pressure issue there, either.

I do know that there is a GM tsb related to the use of the topic ACDelco PF48E, and oil pressure.

It is: #PIP5276D: SES Lamp P0521 Setting After An Oil Change And Or Low Oil Pressure Indicated On The Instrument Panel - (Jun 8, 2015)

TSB PDF linked HERE

Basically says use the ACDelco UPF48R Ultra instead of the Ecore PF48E. The UPF48R is a classic construction ACDelco.

Can't definitely say that's your issue cause. However, based on the GM tsb and your issue, I'd pass on using the ACDelco PF48E in your 5.3L Silverado.

I just bought a 2000 silverado with the 5.3 and noticed the oil pressure was a little on the low side. My 09 silverado only has 35k but runs between 30 and 40 lb of oil pressure at idle and 40 at highway speed, above if I'm accelerating. The 2000 was running less than 30 at idle and didn't make it to 40 while accelerating. It had a purealator filter of some type on it and an unknown oil. I changed the oil and used a Napa gold,,, BOOM now the oil pressure matched my 09. Weird.

Last edited:
I never liked those teacup Delco filters, and never used them.

This is one area where there an aftermarket oversized filter may be exactly what the doctor ordered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back