Any feedback for Acura TSX?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know, am all over the map
smile.gif

But while searching/browsing for different cars came across 2 Acura TSX cars. Both have maintenance history(as per owner) and owners had it for over 7 years and both are less than 10 years old. Can be had for ~$5000ish.

In terms of mileage both have over 100k, should I be concerned? provided meticulous maintenance, good tires and smooth shifting for AT.

Based on google and other forums search, Acura TSX post 2006 seem to be solid cars. Does anyone has any feedback or personal experience with them? Should I stay away based on high mileage or not a problem? Anything else I should be paying attention to while test driving?

Going to look at them tomorrow, thanks for the help and advice
thumbsup2.gif

They are reliable -- basically a [European] Accord underneath. I think the styling has aged well and they are still pretty fun to drive. I had them as service loaners years ago when I had my Integra and always enjoyed them.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Pretty solid cars with the 2.4L. Steering racks like to go out, that is about all I know about them.

Any idea about steering racks at a specific mileage or because no PS fluid change or just random? Read they eat batteries and gas mileage can suffer in city, besides no big concerns.

Thank you
thumbsup2.gif

I have an '06. Bought it in '08 with 10k miles and it currently has 227k on it. It has the manual transmission.

It is the perfect commuter for me and has been very reliable. Unless it gets taken out by something (deer, other driver, etc), I have no plans to replace it anytime soon.

There's an insurance adjuster out in Idaho who has an '04 with nearly 600k on it and no major issues. https://tsxtravels.com/

I would not be too concerned with high miles, if the car is in good shape otherwise.

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs
Pretty solid cars with the 2.4L. Steering racks like to go out, that is about all I know about them.

Any idea about steering racks at a specific mileage or because no PS fluid change or just random? Read they eat batteries and gas mileage can suffer in city, besides no big concerns.

Thank you
thumbsup2.gif

The steering rack went on mine around 100k miles. I diy'd it with a reman unit for $350. Not sure why they go, but I can tell you I never changed the fluid. Honda require Honda PS fluid, btw.

I use Fuelly to track my MPGs. I have 101k worth of records and it is sitting at 28.0mpg. I do very little city driving, with much of my commute being rural back roads (great car for it!). I have neither heard of or experienced any battery issues. Pretty sure the one that I currently have replaced the original one about 5 years ago. So, 11 years, 227k miles, and two batteries.

How far over 100k are they? If not by much and car is clean it sounds like a solid deal at around $5k.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
How far over 100k are they? If not by much and car is clean it sounds like a solid deal at around $5k.

One has ~130k and I believe other one has ~170k.

Originally Posted By: cpayne5

Thank you
thumbsup2.gif

The steering rack went on mine around 100k miles. I diy'd it with a reman unit for $350. Not sure why they go, but I can tell you I never changed the fluid. Honda require Honda PS fluid, btw.

I use Fuelly to track my MPGs. I have 101k worth of records and it is sitting at 28.0mpg. I do very little city driving, with much of my commute being rural back roads (great car for it!). I have neither heard of or experienced any battery issues. Pretty sure the one that I currently have replaced the original one about 5 years ago. So, 11 years, 227k miles, and two batteries.

Thanks and I appreciate your input and feedback.

Curious, did you replace anything else major? Like any of the engine/transmission or any other suspension components?

Yeah, for back roads it's an amazing ride, as far as I can tell based on feedback on many forums.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
TSX and RSX - that's peak Acura right there, and I'd happily daily either.

Honestly, I don't know much about RSX( but it's my favorite
smile.gif
), what about TL? That seems to be on the pricey side, when compared with TSX.

smile.gif

I never really liked the TL. Too big, too heavy, too FWD for a "luxury" car IMHO.

The TSX and RSX though. Wind 'em up and chuck 'em into a corner and they're great. The 6MT is sublime. Hard to find in good shape though, at least in my area. They all seem used and abused. Maybe less so with the automatic cars.

Like rooflessVW said, the TL was a pig. The TSX fits in between the Civic and Accord, sizewise. Think of the TSX as a more refined, slightly larger Civic SI.

The steering rack has been the only major (if you can even call it that) repair. Brakes, oil, filters, tires, gas. Basically all I've ever done. Rock solid for the 217k I've put on it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
I've owned three other model Acuras, all with very good reliability. I'd want to know when the timing belt was changed last.

Never! Timing chain.
laugh.gif

I liked them back in the day. Almost bought a 94 RSX but bought a Civic coupe instead. The older Acuras seem very good. But the new ones don't get high ratings. Seems like a dying brand. So not sure I'd want to buy one from a DOA company. I recommended them to family members back in the 90's but can't do that anymore.

Kind of a side not but Honda isn't much better. The new Accord looks like a bigger Civic. Hard to tell the difference btwn them. Kia seems to have taken Honda's place in the rankings. They have kind of swapped rankings from what Kia used to be years ago.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
I liked them back in the day. Almost bought a 94 RSX but bought a Civic coupe instead. The older Acuras seem very good. But the new ones don't get high ratings. Seems like a dying brand. So not sure I'd want to buy one from a DOA company. I recommended them to family members back in the 90's but can't do that anymore.

Kind of a side not but Honda isn't much better. The new Accord looks like a bigger Civic. Hard to tell the difference btwn them. Kia seems to have taken Honda's place in the rankings. They have kind of swapped rankings from what Kia used to be years ago.

What ratings? ConsumerReports type stuff?

Originally Posted By: cpayne5
Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
I've owned three other model Acuras, all with very good reliability. I'd want to know when the timing belt was changed last.

Never! Timing chain.
laugh.gif

That's exactly what I thought too!!!

Don't think any newer 4 cylinder honda has timing belt?

smile.gif

I like the TL up until 2009 when they got pretty ugly. My sister has a 2003 TL with 130k and a coworker has a 2005 TL that is north of 200k (220k I think?). The TL is bigger, but in my opinion a bit comfier and has a lot more power than the TSX. You can tell it is FWD when comparing it with a BMW or Lexus, but still a great car. 2007-2008 was the sweet spot for the TL because it got the better auto trans from the Acura RL which was both heavier duty and limited torque steer quite a bit. The 3.2L has some nice low end torque. My co-worker's 2005 TL is the manual transmission and with 220k it shifts nice still with the original clutch.

TSX made in Japan. TL not made in Japan. IF that makes any difference to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back