2018 Highlander oil change schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.
For 2018 V6 Highlanders, Toyota specs 5K mileage intervals when using 5w20 and 10k mileage intervals using 0w20. What is the rationale for this?

5w20 synthetics are inferior to 0w20?

if you're getting into the weeds, you should provide the full quote so it can be parsed.
https://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/omms-s/T-MMS-18Highlander/pdf/T-MMS-18Highlander.pdf

The recommendation is only meant to cover the lowest common denomiator of a 5w20 mineral oil. There is not quite as specific an instruction that you can make regarding a 5w20 synthetic oil so on that middle ground you are somewhat on your own to decide.

From Toyota's point of view, they are "certifying" saying they tested TGMO 0w20 for 10k, and also implicitly certifying any 5w20 mineral for 5k.
They didn't test 5w20 so they have nothing to say about it and can't claim it's "certified".

The line items indicate
NOTE: If 0W-20 oil WAS NOT used at
the last oil change, replace engine oil
and oil filter

but the footer appendix goes into the detail

NOTE: Your vehicle is certified with
Genuine Toyota 0W20 motor oil. For
VEHICLES CERTIFIED FOR 0W20 motor
oil, the oil change interval is 10,000 miles
or 12 months IF 0W20 MOTOR OIL IS
BEING USED. If 0W20 is not available,
5W20 mineral oil may be used. However,
it must be replaced at A 5,000 miles or
6 month INTERVAL with 0W20 motor oil.

Last edited:
It probably says that since TGMO doesn't have a 5w20 full synthetic oil. But they do have a 5w20 which I believe is a synthetic blend.

Originally Posted By: raytseng
if you're getting into the weeds, you should provide the full quote so it can be parsed.
https://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/omms-s/T-MMS-18Highlander/pdf/T-MMS-18Highlander.pdf

The recommendation is only meant to cover the lowest common denomiator of a 5w20 mineral oil. There is not quite as specific an instruction that you can make regarding a 5w20 synthetic oil so on that middle ground you are somewhat on your own to decide.

From Toyota's point of view, they didn't test 5w20 so they have nothing to say about it and don't claim it's "certified".

The line items indicate
NOTE: If 0W-20 oil WAS NOT used at
the last oil change, replace engine oil
and oil filter

but the footer appendix goes into the detail

NOTE: Your vehicle is certified with
Genuine Toyota 0W20 motor oil. For
VEHICLES CERTIFIED FOR 0W20 motor
oil, the oil change interval is 10,000 miles
or 12 months IF 0W20 MOTOR OIL IS
BEING USED. If 0W20 is not available,
5W20 mineral oil may be used. However,
it must be replaced at A 5,000 miles or
6 month INTERVAL with 0W20 motor oil.

Yep.. so when they refer to 5w20 they mean mineral and not synthetic.

Fair enough. Thanks. That little footnote clears it up. 5w20 in this context apparently implies conventional.

The second point to parse is "Certified" means they explicitly tested it.

Not saying anything doesn't mean it won't work, just that they didn't test it.

Originally Posted By: digitalSniperX1
Fair enough. Thanks. That little footnote clears it up. 5w20 in this context apparently implies conventional.

It always amazes me how murky Owner's Manual and maitenance schedules are sometimes.
I mean, how hard is it to just say "Use any brand 0w20 SN GF-5 (or greater) API Certified oil for 10,000 miles or 1 year, whichever comes first. If severe service, then change at 5,000 miles or 6 months. If 0w20 is unavailable, and only a 5w20 conventional oil is available, then change at 5,000 miles or 6 months." ????

The argument on the flipside is if you can't figure out this instruction, perhaps self maintenance isn't for you and you should just take your car to the dealer or other mechanic when the light triggers or the dealership sends you a reminder.

If you can't parse the above instructions, theres no chance you can actually follow the Toyota service instructions precisely. aif that's the case you can just stick to forum DIYs where some enthusiast will also tell you what oil to use with pictures and youtube videos.

Last edited:
I know Toyota used to say 10k for synthetic, 5k for dino. The new OCI spec is probably in line with that, as almost all 0w20 is synthetic. The 0w20 syn blend mostly went away with SN, and especially dexos.

And as stated by others, there's no TGMO 5w30 synthetic.

A 5w20 synthetic will be fine for 10k with no problems
smile.gif

Those Toyota specs don't phase me at all. I'd change the oil when I want to and I guarantee you it would not be one inch over 5000 miles no matter what the oil is.

Yeh they'd do readers a favor if they studied a little technical writing.

Oil change interval- whichever comes first in these two options:
1. 1 yr/10K miles using synthetic 0w20 (preferred)
2. 6 mo/5K miles using conventional 5w20

Honda manuals are far better written.
You dont want to read a Kawasaki Service Manual where the japanese writers need some serious help with their English writing skills.

Yeh I'm sure 5w20 synthetic would be fine at 10k but the manual exludes this as a specific statement.

Honda manuals are far better written.
You dont want to read a Kawasaki Service Manual where the japanese writers need some serious help with their English writing skills.

It could be far worse. Ever try figuring out the instructions for IKEA stuff?

Yeh I'm sure 5w20 synthetic would be fine at 10k but the manual exludes this as a specific statement.

Because 0-20 increases their CAFE.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Those Toyota specs don't phase me at all. I'd change the oil when I want to and I guarantee you it would not be one inch over 5000 miles no matter what the oil is.
+1 for that Merk

Actually, there ought to be a 3rd rule:
3. 6 mo/5k miles in "severe service", and you can use a conventional 5w20, but if you do, then the next oil change must be 0w20 full-syn.

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
+1 for that Merk

Another +

Originally Posted By: SilverSnake
Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
+1 for that Merk

Another +

I don't worry about the miles so much. I worry about what's convenient for me and that's October and May. Having said that I'm not a real high mileage driver. I just want a warm not hot sunny day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back