2006 Nissan Xterra: Best Aftermarket Radiator

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can get a good deal on this SUV. It has 112k miles on it. But these cars have a known problem with a leak in the radiator causing the ATF and antifreeze coolant to mix, thus destroying the tranny.

Many folks just perform a bypass of the radiator, but as preventative maintenance, I figured I'd change the radiator, hoses, clamps, and coolant.

Can anyone recommend a great aftermarket radiator?? In the past, buying replacements has always been hit and miss.

Are Griffith radiators highly regarded here? A quick search of some forums, I've seen them mentioned. But I hear they can be pricey.

Mishimoto

If you are that concerned, change the rad, leave everything else and spend the money
on a new trans cooler. It's not 1985 anymore and hoses can last the life of the car.

I would stick with OEM. I don't have specific Nissan experience but with my Liberty, I had a shop put an aftermarket one about 4 years ago, and it's beginning to weep now. Putting an OEM one in. It isn't even the in-radiator tranny cooler type, I wouldn't trust Chinese stuff to keep those separate.

The OEM p/n for this product is 21460-9CAOE and costs nearly $500. If I were in your shoes I'd go to RockAuto and get a Denso replacement for about $97.

The only problem I've had with Denso radiators is that once I had one that was slightly dented when I received it.

OEM only. There's a reason aftermarket parts are cheap,you get what you pay for. Go online and find a wholesale Nissan OEM parts source.

I've had issues buying OEM radiators. They end up stuck in a warehouse and by the time you use them the seals under the caps fail. The one I installed on my Hyundai lasted approximately 1 day before leaking worse than the one it replaced.

I don't know what the "best' aftermarket radiator is. That said, having replaced an 01 Civic radiator a few years ago I first looked at Rock Auto options. TYC was a heart/most popular choice. I got it through Amazon, faster delivery for close to same price. It turned out to be a Koyorad, fit perfectly and has worked fine.

Anyway, looks like TYC and Denso are RA heart choices for the Xterra. I'd likely pay the ~$9 difference and go Denso for the name. Before buying, check Amazon price for same as RA Denso part #.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back