FRAM ULTRA 3614, 6,500 miles CUT OPEN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good evening gentlemen.

Posting this FRAM ultra for member Curtis Newton. Came off of a 2004 Lexus RX330 AWD with v-6 engine. Said he started vehicle one day and knocking for few seconds and shut vehicle off. Then re started and knocking went away.

Filter looks ok to be. Filter had 6,500 miles and the PP had around 3,000 miles

Enjoy the pics
smile.gif

The dent was from Curtis removing filter and smooshed media is from me prying on media and can to remove element

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks very stout there Captain. Good job here man. I am running the orange can on my car for 9600 miles.

Thanks car51 for cutting open and posting the filter. Was hoping the anti-drain back valve was damaged. Seeing it cut open, sure wish I knew what that knocking noise was on our RX330. Changed over to WIX XP for this current run.

Originally Posted By: newtoncd8
Thanks car51 for cutting open and posting the filter. Sure wish I knew what that knocking noise was on our RX330. Changed over to WIX XP for this current run.

You are welcome sir
smile.gif

I had a Fram Ultra with 0 oil in it on my lady's Camry. It is angled downward but I have had Carquest red filter which was totally full in the same circumstance. Regular Wix did good as well.

Car51 I wish we would've gotten 4 inches of snow here today. We just missed out on that amount of snow last Friday into Saturday... By 25 miles north and west saw 4-5 inches.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
I had a Fram Ultra with 0 oil in it on my lady's Camry. It is angled downward but I have had Carquest red filter which was totally full in the same circumstance. Regular Wix did good as well.

I have no proof, but based upon the noise, I have to believe the Fram Ultra filter that I pulled off and sent to car51 was similar to your experience. On our RX330, the filter is also angled down. The noise was pretty concerning and I have used (mostly) OEM, Fram Ultra and Wix; that was the first time I have ever heard the knocking noise. It may filter 20 microns @ 99%, but that noise isn't something I can deal with.

Yeah I agree with you on that man. I couldn't deal with that kind of circumstance as well. I have a STP XL on there now made by Daewa. It has been just fine this whole time.

Knocking sounds like the clue to ditch the FRAM. There are many other choices. Motorcraft FL-910s or FL-400s. Bosch, WIX 51348 NAPA Gold 1348. The STP XL looks like a well constructed filter.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
What would cause filter knock? Too restrictive?

Possibly the oil drained out overnight.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
What would cause filter knock? Too restrictive?

Possibly the oil drained out overnight.

Yep, most likely leaky ADBV.

Originally Posted By: newtoncd8
Originally Posted By: bbhero

I have no proof, but based upon the noise, I have to believe the Fram Ultra filter that I pulled off and sent to car51 was similar to your experience. On our RX330, the filter is also angled down. The noise was pretty concerning and I have used (mostly) OEM, Fram Ultra and Wix; that was the first time I have ever heard the knocking noise. It may filter 20 microns @ 99%, but that noise isn't something I can deal with.

Question: Do you change your own oil? If so, do you ever hear any engine noises on first start-up with a new dry oil filter installed? That scenario mimics a filter that has leaked down due to a bad ADBV. Some vehicles are sensitive to the filter and galleries draining out, some aren't. None of my vehicles ever make any engine noises on first start-up after an oil change with a new dry filter installed.

I have slight startup noise on cold mornings regardless of what filter I use, I'm not worried about it.

I ran a Fram Ultra once after being extremely happy with a TG on my Liberty and it knocked a bit too. No idea why but I took it off after a 100 miles and put a Wix on and it was fine. Now running another TG and it's perfect. Not sure why it reacted badly to the Ultra, but I'm a once filter/one OCI guy so a TG is 110% adequate for a 5k interval.

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
I'd keep PP in the sump for more than 3k. But that's just me. Adam, I still owe you some filters that I will mail tomorrow. Thanks for the C&P!

Sounds good sir
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Question: Do you change your own oil? If so, do you ever hear any engine noises on first start-up with a new dry oil filter installed? That scenario mimics a filter that has leaked down due to a bad ADBV. Some vehicles are sensitive to the filter and galleries draining out, some aren't. None of my vehicles ever make any engine noises on first start-up after an oil change with a new dry filter installed.

I do change my own oil and have since new; we purchased the RX330 with about 7 miles on it in November 2003. Dealer did first change and after that, all me.

I have never heard that noise before, whether it was start-up after an oil change with a dry filter or sitting overnight. My wife was getting ready to get in the car when I started it and she was really nervous when she heard that sound.

I drove straight to O'Reilly, picked up a WIX XP and changed it immediately. As car51 stated, the dent in the filter was because the engine was hot and I used my strap wrench to remove the filter -- I wanted it off.

If I hear the sound with the XP, I will report back, but we haven't heard it since nor when I put the WIX on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back