2005 Highlander 3.3 MKZ-FE Oil Specification

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam_Julier

$50 Site Donor 2024
We just inherited an 05 Highlander Limited with the 3.3 MKZ-FE V6 engine. This is our first Toyota. The owner's manual states that if 10W30 is used it should replaced with 5W30 at the next oil change. The oil spec in 2005 was 5W30 API SL, for all temperatures. I'm scratching my head on this one. The only reason I can think of is the VVT set up. Does anyone know why Toyota states this? Thanks.

Sam

Toyota varies the OCI on the 18 Highlander requiring 5k intervals with 5w20 and extending OCIto 10k with 0w20.
Obviously stating this fact doesn't answer your question, but adds this oddity to yours.

They state that because they want you to use 5w30. I dont see whats so confusing? I doubt you would have an issue using 10w30 but are you trying to solve a problem that doesnt exist yet? Put in some good synthetic 5w30 or 0w30, and keep an eye on oil level, check for leaks and see how it does over a normal OCI. If it runs good year around on 5w30, then who cares about 10w30?

Is it because you wanted to use same as what you use in your two older cars (My bad, I reread the post)?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rolla07
They state that because they want you to use 5w30. I dont see whats so confusing? I doubt you would have an issue using 10w30 but are you trying to solve a problem that doesnt exist yet? Put in some good synthetic 5w30 or 0w30, and keep an eye on oil level, check for leaks and see how it does over a normal OCI. If it runs good year around on 5w30, then who cares about 10w30?

Is it because you wanted to use same as what you use in your two older cars (My bad, I reread the post)?

I simply asked a question as to why Toyota states this. That's all. I'm not confused, just curious. That's why I post on this site. I hesitated to post knowing I'd probably get this type of response. And no, I'm not going to throw Delo 10W30 into a MKZ-FE engine.

Sam

Originally Posted By: Sam_Julier
Originally Posted By: Rolla07

I simply asked a question as to why Toyota states this. That's all. I'm not confused, just curious. That's why I post on this site. I hesitated to post knowing I'd probably get this type of response. And no, I'm not going to throw Delo 10W30 into a MKZ-FE engine.

Sam

Your question asks why Toyota recommends what they do.. Not sure anyone here can provide that kind of feedback besides a generic response of, thats what their engineers felt would allow their engines to run optimally. Apologies my post did come across as rude, not my intention
smile.gif

Sometimes the translation gets a bit garbled or confused if the manual is from Japan or other countries but I am guessing the Highlander was made in the US? Correct me if I am mistaken.

5w-30 should be the oil to use.

Aside, my Mazda owners manual says to hold the open hood 7.9 inches high before releasing so it will close securely. I’m guessing it’s the same issue of translation or converting.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Sometimes the translation gets a bit garbled or confused if the manual is from Japan or other countries but I am guessing the Highlander was made in the US? Correct me if I am mistaken.

5w-30 should be the oil to use.

Aside, my Mazda owners manual says to hold the open hood 7.9 inches high before releasing so it will close securely. I’m guessing it’s the same issue of translation or converting.

Made in Japan.

Run of the mill 3MZ-FE engine

Like the 1MZ-FE

..but 300cc bigger

..and without the sludge

I very much like this engine, it powers my Camry

Run it on any 5w30 you please, it's all good

I've wondered the exact same thing. My son has a 2006 3.3 Highlander.

Sometimes board responders don't discern the difference in someone having basic curiosity and someone wanting their problem solved. Not directed at you Rolla07.
grin.gif
I have asked questions simply trying to understand and they get misconstrued. No big deal. That's how it can be.

I have wondered if we need the 5w-30 for the VVT to work properly but when you figure the car gets to normal operating temp pretty soon I decided that was a nonissue. But when you check out requirements for the same cars overseas, you will, for the most part, find they are recommending 10w-30 or 10w-40.

I wish we had a Toyota engineer on this forum.

My folks own a 2004 Highland with the same 3.3L motor. They purchased it new with 2 miles and today it has 295,000 trouble free miles. We have driven from California to Nevada and California to Arizona dozens of times. Even with high mileage, it keeps on running and running. In terms of oil, I run an OEM filter with various Mobil 1 oil, 0W30, 5W30, and 10W30, whichever I have on hand at the moment. It runs all of these oils with no issue at all, although the body of the Highlander has seen brighter days; my Mom likes to hit everything on the road (kidding), however the motor runs like a top and it is only now beginning to seep a bit of oil from the valve covers. The vehicle isn't anything exciting, it has been an incredibly reliable Toyota. Best of luck with your new acquisition.

Last edited:
Our 2005 sienna has the same motor. Original oil weight was 5w30. They recently back spec’d to allow 0w20 as well. Our has seen 0w30, 5w30 and 0w40 (castrol). The vvt worked fine regardless.

I got a 2006 Highlander Hybrid with that 3.3L 3MZ-FE engine. That engine, with electric motors and that CVT give some fast cars a run for its money. Love it. So far it always had 5w30 synthetics, this oil change I put some Idemitsu 0w20 in there with OEM oil filter. No ill effects, slight bump in MPG. Instead of usual 24.2mpg city it now gets 26.3mpg, per the computer. Highway MPG stayed at 24.5 as always.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
You could run 10W-30 until the end of time and it wouldn't hurt the engine at all. They're both 30 weights.

Basically the same thing my dealership told me years ago they said there was really no reason to run 5w-30. But frankly 5w is easier to find on sale for less money in full synthetic.

The manual of my '03 1MZ-FE says the same thing:

5W-30 is the best choice for good fuel economy and starting in cold weather. If 5W-30 is not available 10W-30 may be used. However, it must be replaced with 5W-30 at the next oil change.

Here's what it says in the manual of my '10 2GR-FE:

0W-20 is the best choice for good fuel economy and starting in cold weather. If 0W-20 is not available 5W-20 may be used. However, it must be replaced with 0W-20 at the next oil change.

Sound familiar?

Toyota worded this for CAFE, you can run 10W-30 but there really isn't a need for it - these engines do just fine on 5W-30.

I've ran 10W-30 and 5W-30 in a 1UZ-FE and I ultimately stuck with the latter. Car lived to almost 300K before it was bought back.

10W30 would be fine. I have the same engine in my Kluger (highlander).

VVT would only be affected if you're running a 10W30 below it's ability to pump. Then the whole engine would be affected. But not many will actually experience these temps. Unless you do live in a super cold winter and also park your car outside.

I could run 15W40 in my highlander and my oil would be thinner on startup than any xxW30 in freezing conditions due to the ambient temps here being so high. If it had anything to do with viscosity, then the VVT would have issues in cold climates even with lower viscosity oils.

There's a person here who's done many UOA on his 3.3L and he used SAE30 once with great results. I think he got he oil for $1 per quart or something. $5 oil change with great results, there's one good reason one might stray from 5W30. The 3MZ is a very forgiving motor too. Definitely easy on oil so you don't need to overkill it with pricey stuff and 3-5K mile changes.

Thanks to all for the input. I'll be running a conventional 5W30. It's a fun car to work on. A/T, diff and TC and filters are easy. Holds the entire family and grandchild. Went through 7" of snow last week like it was on a rescue mission. Should be a keeper.

Sam

My 2004 4cyl with VVT-i manual worded it sorta like this...
5w30 is good generally everywhere.
But 10w30 may be used IF ambient operating temeperatures
Never fall below 0 degrees

Way down here at the border the temps for the year generally range from
40-110 F I have no problems with 10W30 resource conserving
But you way up north should probably stick with. 5w30
Ive also had good results with and recommend Mobil1 advanced fuel economy 0w30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back