Replacing one strut, not both at a time?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a friend with almost no money that bought an old Chrysler mini-van about a 1999 with around 140,000 miles on it for $500. Yesterday he had a front strut go out and he replaced just that one, the drivers side with a new one.

Seems like that would not be cool for the handling of the van.

Comments please.

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: callbay
I have a friend with almost no money that bought an old Chrysler mini-van about a 1999 with around 140,000 miles on it for $500. Yesterday he had a front strut go out and he replaced just that one, the drivers side with a new one.

Seems like that would not be cool for the handling of the van.

Comments please.

Thanks!

As long as the other one has some damping left, I doubt anyone would notice. The budget struts don't seem to have good damping anyways so its probably a better match to the other one, and its far better than having a blown one. If he likes to drive too fast on rough roads then it might start behaving differently in right or left turns, but in normal vehicle duty its not a big deal IMO.
If wasn't autocrossing I'd probably just replace struts individually too.

I've always replaced in pairs, if not all 4 with such high mileage, as in my mind to keep handling characteristics parallel .. but at the same time, weigh in the value of the car and the required maintenance. The parts may be cheap, but the labor can be pricey for owners who don't DIY the repairs.

Shoo, here in MN, there are so many rust buckets still on the roads, and with no required vehicle inspection laws, it wouldn't surprise me how many cars have all corners shot with owners who don't know/care a thing.

I’d replace both. The only struts I don’t replace in pairs are my hood struts.

1 1/2 years ago I was in Florida and the strut bearing failed on the 2007 Fusion. I just had the drivers front replaced and 30K later no problems.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: The Critic
In most cases, OEM warranty will not pay for replacing struts in pairs.

This is correct. Even to the point that they took out the note to replace in pairs with every strut and shock listing.

No amount of new parts or pairs of new parts could ever make a 1999 Chrysler minivan handle well. Just try to keep air in the tires, and make sure the four way flashers work for when the transmission fails.
cool.gif

it varies.

generally a quick strut (preassembled strut, spring and mount etc) are better because the spring has been compressed for a period of time and doesn't take long to settle and generally they unbolt and bolt back in fairly easily.

or if you change just the strut and re use the old spring etc it generally won't change much, unless you have to take apart components that effect the alignment.

I did all the struts on my contour earlier this year and when i reassembled everything and tookit for a drive you could tell the alignment was way off.

but I installed just one front strut on my brothers grand am, a quick strut and it sat just a little bit higher on one side for a little while but drives straight down the road etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back