FCC Repealed Net Neutrality Today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Board room of Comcast, AT&T, and others must be popping open the champagne about now.

Get out your wallet. The up-charges are coming.

what-is-net-neutrality-isp-package-diagram.0.jpg

It still has to go through the senate and congress which I don't think it will.

If NN is still taken down, then it's time that responsibility is back on us to take control with our money.

I didn't think the FCC was for sale. I guess high bidder wins and there go our rates and service. The grand experiment, the Internet and it almost worked.

I listened to Rush Limbaugh today. In his mind, anything with government control is a bad thing.
I was like Rush, I agree with you on a lot of things, but not this one.
It's gonna get to the point where I hope a "bill payers union" forms.
Guess what Comcast....? You wanna screw your customers over, we will stop bill payment or cancel service
in mass on strike.

Very few people expressing opinions on it really understand it and the implications (i.e. the mouthpieces on the radio et al); certain groups packaged it and made it sound like no one would want it

Last edited:
Comcast told me today on the phone that my $19.99 for 10mbps service was being automatically upgraded to 25mbps for no change in price...
Sounds good to me...

It does not have to go through Congress. The FCC created net neutrality and now they took it away today. Congress can override the FCC but that won't happen. FCC is 3-2 Republican and voted 3-2 to remove net neutrality. Both the Senate and House, and then President are all Republican, so Congress won't override the FCC unless this gets super bad and by then, the horses are out of the barn.

So we are going back to the 2015 internet rules? Why didnt the ISPs tier their charges from 2000-2015 and what says they will tier their charges in the future?

Originally Posted By: mikered30
So we are going back to the 2015 internet rules? Why didnt the ISPs tier their charges from 2000-2015 and what says they will tier their charges in the future?

I don't remember the specifics, but I think some ISPs were selectively throttling some websites and streaming services. I think Netflix was upset about some ISPs slowing down their service or Netflix having to pay some ISPs for a faster streams.

Edited to add a link to a 2014 article which describes what I was saying above:
https://technical.ly/philly/2014/05/09/g...omcast-roundup/

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JeepWJ19
It still has to go through the senate and congress which I don't think it will.

If NN is still taken down, then it's time that responsibility is back on us to take control with our money.

And all the lawsuits that are going to happen.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I listened to Rush Limbaugh today. In his mind, anything with government control is a bad thing.
I was like Rush, I agree with you on a lot of things, but not this one.
It's gonna get to the point where I hope a "bill payers union" forms.
Guess what Comcast....? You wanna screw your customers over, we will stop bill payment or cancel service
in mass on strike.

What does that guy know about neutrality, he sold out just like the rest of the government.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
I didn't think the FCC was for sale. I guess high bidder wins and there go our rates and service. The grand experiment, the Internet and it almost worked.

Welcome back to AOL, where every little thing has a surcharge to it.

The biggest impact would be on NetFlix. Those guys were responsible for a lot of the cord cutting and I'm sure Comcast and the rest of the Hollywood would not mind blocking them out or charge a cable TV equivalent price.

Now that Comcast is entering cell phone market, it'll be interesting if they will strong arm their way into it and make you pay extra for cable internet if you don't use comcast cellular.

Originally Posted By: wormwood1978

I don't remember the specifics, but I think some ISPs were selectively throttling some websites and streaming services. I think Netflix was upset about some ISPs slowing down their service or Netflix having to pay some ISPs for a faster streams.

Edited to add a link to a 2014 article which describes what I was saying above:
https://technical.ly/philly/2014/05/09/g...omcast-roundup/

They were injecting disconnection packets to slow down your p2p file sharing, blamed for the congestion when they oversold their network. Their "claim" was copy right protection, but after p2p fall out of favor it is Netflix using up all the internet they sold. Now they just say you have to pay for higher tier if you want enough data to watch Netflix, no longer unlimited.

Well guys, it's been fun.

But if my internet provider wants more money to access the few sites I use, I'll be offline until I go back to California, or Washington, or whichever state is smart enough to bring on state-side net neutrality rules.

The cable companies are trying to stop the hemorrhaging of TV subscribers by people cutting the cord and using streaming services like Netflix and Sling to watch TV. I see them charging extra to use streaming services, and/or going to those companies for money. They'll also try pushing their own services.

Obviously you weren't a Time Warner customer who had CBS web content artificially blacked out during their little spat over pricing in 2013. Maybe you weren't a Netflix subscriber when Comcast began bottlenecking their traffic in 2014.

Going back through the years, the FCC may not have been all-in for neutrality, but they also didn't take very kindly to obvious ISP shenanigans. This goes back to the FCC's "Internet Policy Statement" from 2005. This wasn't really a regulation, but rather a set of expected behaviors when it came to internet traffic. There was always the danger that if ISPs got too egregious with their practices, the FCC would firm up their neutrality rules. One of the earliest examples of this was in 2008 when Comcast chose to ban torrent traffic, the FCC ruled against them. ISPs have pushed in the past, but they never really tested the resolve of the FCC for fear of the outcome.

Fast-forward to today. The current FCC has indicated no opposition whatsoever to any of these practices. The industry has a friendly and sympathetic figure at the top of the FCC. The threat of the FCC, which kept ISPs generally in line in the past, is gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back