4.0 Frontier

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is one of my good friends trucks, a 2008 Frontier with the 4.0 V6 that just hit 201k miles. he bought it from his dad around 100k miles, its in decent shape and runs excellent. Hes the type of person that doesnt do any kind of maintenance himself, he stays on top of it though, he rather pay me to do it so I'm not complaining. I've done oil changes on it every 6-8k with anything from M1 5W30, to Euro 0W40, along with some Rotella T5 10W30, and mostly M1 HM 10W30. I just changed the original serpentine belt yesterday, which was in great shape for 200k miles. I plan on doing spark plugs, transmission, and rear end fluid next. He plans on keeping this truck till at least 400k . He isnt interested in UOA's. I was thinking either Rotella Multi Vehicle 5W30(which seems hard to find) Castrol 0W40, or M1 HM 10W30 along with a Fram Ultra filter every 8k and call it a day. I've read that the VQ series motors shear the oil pretty badly. So what would yall recommend? His drive to work is 27 miles one way at speeds of 55-70 mph, no red lights,no short tripping.

Last edited:
I keep reading where the VQ motors shear badly, but every UOA I've done on my Frontier has the 5w30 still within tolerances. I'd be interested in seeing some of the data. Not challenging the statement, just curious....

I've got 197K on mine, steady diet of PP 5w30 on 7.5K intervals. I've been happy with it.

I like your idea of the 0w40, those motors are known to be hard on oil. I had an 07 and always used Mobil 1 5w30 and changed it every 4-5K, of course this was back before I knew about BITOG.

BTW, spark plugs on those are a royal pain. Plan to remove the intake unless you have a million swivel extensions.

2008 NISSAN/DATSUN FRONTIER 4.0L 6 -cyl Engine VQ40DE
VISCOSITIES:
All TEMPS....5W-30
CAPACITIES: With filter 5.4 quarts After refill check oil level.
TORQUES: Oil Drain Plug...22-29 ft/lbs

Chevron DELO comes in a 5w30 synthetic (sn), a 5w40 synthetic (sm) and 10w30 synthetic blend (sm).Any of those should hold up just dandy, cheap too.

Early VQ40 DE 4.0 V6 motors did shear oil down a grade pretty easy esp if you towed a camper up some steep grades and at high revs. I have the same motor in my 2012 Nissan Pathfinder and I see little evidence of oil shear when towing my 5,000 pound camper running Valvoline Synpower 10w30. And most of the within two year old oil analyst I have seen on several Nissan forums show little oil shear running any quality synthetic within an oil change interval of 3-7,500 miles with most running a 5w30 grade oil.

Frankly I have run M1 0w40 in my V6 and it seems to run fine with no change in fuel millage. but any good synthetic 5-10w30 is fine. Run your favorite brand and do a UOA at 5k and go from there.

Castrol 0w40 gets my vote, due to the many dead 4.0L Frontiers/Pathfinders with badly worn out timing chain guides and other timing chain components. If this engine would not have that timing components flaw - I'd be using M1 AFE 0w30.

Originally Posted By: askani79705
Chevron DELO comes in a 5w30 synthetic (sn), a 5w40 synthetic (sm) and 10w30 synthetic blend (sm).Any of those should hold up just dandy, cheap too.

Yes real good option if you are at all worried about oil shear. Chevron DELO 5w30 seems to hold up quite well under stress.

I will definitely tell him about the coolant/tranny fluid issue. wheres the best place to buy Delo 5W30 for a good price? I can get 5W40 and 10W30 Delo at Wal Mart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back