Question about Toyota OEM and Denso filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys,

I've used Toyota OEM filters (the yzzd1 variety) since my 2002 Tacoma was new. I'm almost out of my current stash and was going to order some more. However, I noticed that I can get Denso filters from Rockauto for a little bit cheaper. Since they make the OEM filters, I started looking at them. Now I'm confused. Apparently, Densos are now made in China and don't have the o-ring style gasket (which may not matter--just a way of identifying that they've changed). The current yzzd1 filters I'm using have an o-ring gasket instead of the more traditional looking gasket. So my first instinct is to just order more yzzd1 Toyotas. HOWEVER, I began wondering (and think I may have even read somewhere) that new Toyota OEM filters have changed too.

I guess my question is this: has anyone bought an OEM Toyota filter in the last year or so? My stash is years old. What does yours look like? Does it have an o-ring gasket or a traditional gasket? Was the end sealed in plastic? Was it made in China or Thailand or the USA? I even read somewhere that Toyota started contracting with Purolator. If that's the case, I don't want to pay more for a Toyota filter if it is just a Purolator.

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

I've bought both recently. The Toyota filters were made in Thailand and the Denso ones in China. I am not planning on buying any more of the aftermarket Denso ones however.

They both had the plastic covering and both had pre-lubricated seals. I'll have to check on the gasket design but I don't recall that changing lately.

Thanks for the info. Is there a particular reason you won't be buying more Densos or is it mainly because it is made in China?

Originally Posted By: mrdctaylor
Thanks for the info. Is there a particular reason you won't be buying more Densos or is it mainly because it is made in China?

Yeah, just the China thing, but that may not matter to you. From what they looked like they seemed fine.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

Yeah, just the China thing, but that may not matter to you. From what they looked like they seemed fine.

It isn't a huge deal to me TBH. Heck, the phone, computer, TV etc. I use were all manufactured in China. But if someone can point me to a quality filter that is reasonably priced and made in the USA I'd be willing to give it a try.

For $3 on Rockauto, the Densos seem hard to beat. Of course, shipping drives that up some. I can get 5 filters for about $23 shipped. I can get 5 OEM filters shipped for $25-26.

While we're on the subject, are there any other filters in that price range (or cheaper) that people would consider higher quality? Or at least high quality enough for a 7500 mile (7-8 month) OCI on a 2002 Toyota Tacoma 3.4L?

I ordered Toyota OE in the past year, made in Thailand, great quality, no worry, filters. They also make the G version in your size made by Purolator to their specs. Toyota sells the TRD also, a full synthetic USA made filter by Champ Labs that claims 98.7% @ 20 microns for the efficiency I believe.
The blue Denso from Thailand were discontinued in favor of their new black ones made in China. I am guessing it could be the Thailand factory is at capacity and the Asian market has a large demand.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
I ordered Toyota OE in the past year, made in Thailand, great quality, no worry, filters. They also make the G version in your size made by Purolator to their specs. Toyota sells the TRD also, a full synthetic USA made filter by Champ Labs that claims 98.7% @ 20 microns for the efficiency I believe.
The blue Denso from Thailand were discontinued in favor of their new black ones made in China. I am guessing it could be the Thailand factory is at capacity and the Asian market has a large demand.

Thanks!

I wouldn't hesitate to use a Mahle filter (made in Austria), either--$3.68 on RockAuto. Mahle filters are OE on many European cars, and have been fine for the last 34 years in my motorcycle, FWIW.

Originally Posted By: kschachn

It isn't a huge deal to me TBH. Heck, the phone, computer, TV etc. I use were all manufactured in China. But if someone can point me to a quality filter that is reasonably priced and made in the USA I'd be willing to give it a try.

Yes and that's why you can hardly get a HD on your computer anymore that will last three years.

For $3 on Rockauto, the Densos seem hard to beat. Of course, shipping drives that up some. I can get 5 filters for about $23 shipped. I can get 5 OEM filters shipped for $25-26.

Right! On RockAuto, one needs to order enough quantity of filters including shipping to make it worth the while. This is what I have done too.
smile.gif

For my 22RE Toyota engine, the Toyota Thailand made spin on filter has been discontinued. Yes, Purolator is making the Toyota filter for that engine now. I bought two. Cut one open, and ran the other for 3,000 mile oil change interval. Both new and used looked fine to me.

Originally Posted By: BigD1
For my 22RE Toyota engine, the Toyota Thailand made spin on filter has been discontinued. Yes, Purolator is making the Toyota filter for that engine now. I bought two. Cut one open, and ran the other for 3,000 mile oil change interval. Both new and used looked fine to me.

I have recently bought a case of the Thailand 90915-YZZD1 for my 22RE on ebay. You can find them for as cheap as $34.50 shipped for a case of 10. Mine were bought about 6 months ago and still say Thailand. I was not aware they were discontinuing the Thailand version.

I used to buy Denso from Rock Auto. Once they started making the Denso brand in China I switched to the Toyota OEM by the case on ebay.

Thanks for the tip! I hadn't seen that eBay listing for $34.50, but I just jumped on it! My brother-in-law has the same truck and is going to split the case with me. Perfect.

I just received four YZZD1 oil filter for my 04 V6 and they were made in Thailand. Received four Denso oil filter and they were made in China. They all use the O-ring type gasket. I think the Chinese made filters will be as good as the ones I used to purchase that were made in USA.

I'd stick with the Toyota ones, all the ones I've used were made in Thailand. Old USA made ones are Purolator and should be steered clear of for obvious reasons.

Yeah, I went with OEM from eBay. If the photos are accurate, they are the ones still made in Thailand. I can see it on the box. I bought a case. Now I can quit thinking about it for another 10 years.
grin.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back