How much do you fill your oil filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My filter on my Toyota sits pretty much straight up and down. I oil the gasket first and then fill the filter to less than a quarter inch from the top.

I have just been adding enough to get the media wet, I don't want to have the oil come pouring out again when I turn the filter base down to screw it on (mine is top mounted).

Originally Posted By: ZZman
Does anyone know if oil change places fill them at all?

I doubt it!
They have too many vehicles waiting for service to slow down their process, and do what we do for ourselves.

Originally Posted By: Char Baby

I doubt it!
They have too many vehicles waiting for service to slow down their process, and do what we do for ourselves.

Why would that risk spilling oil and making a mess? It's your car, not there's.

I fill mine completely on my Ram hemi and I was disappointed to see on my wife's new car the filter is horizontal.

I see no reason not to fill if you can and don't understand the 1/4-1/2 fill only part at all??
21.gif

I've never filled my oil filters in the several decades I've been changing my own oil in multiple vehicles well over 200K miles. Doing so is an OCD/BITOG thing.

Not on the vehicles in my signature. If you knew what the filters looked like and how they mount, you'd understand.

If I remember or the application allows, then just enough to wet the filter media, but its more of a byproduct of me using oil to lube the new filter gasket.

VIOC doesn't, and neither do I, too risky-whatever is in the oil goes straight into the galleries, unfiltered.

I fill my oversize filter to about 3/4 to full. This lets me pour in the manufacturer's amount and I only have to check the dipstick once after the oil change. Helps me avoid overfilling which I absolutely hate doing in oil burners.

If you can add oil to your new filter do you? How much?

I usually add till about half full.

The drop in type oil filter, I would put slightly less than half a quart. The spin on type, I don't really bother.

Do you count the 2 cc of oil that I smear on the gasket?
banana2.gif

Just recently on one of the other hundreds of discussions that have been posted on this subject
05.gif
, someone attached a link to a statement that you should not prefill oil filters. I can't remember if it was a filter manufacturer or auto manufacturer, or what. But the link was to a very respected source.

I have never filled my filter with oil on any of the cars I have owned in the almost 30 yrs I have been driving.

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back