Am I the only one who hates wearing gloves?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wood shop teacher told me years ago not to wear gloves because they can get pulled into machines. Etc. I agree. Personally I agree, plus I like knowing where my hands are. Opinions?

im the same way. Not so much the machine thing, but i hate the feeling. The only time i wear gloves, if its freezing and im doing outdoor work. But in my fabrication shop, i only wear one leather glove when i weld. I can tell a lot about a bolt going in or not by feel. when i wear gloves, even mechanics gloves, i find myself fumbling around a lot.

I wear rubber/nitrile when working with fluids/automotive stuff (just to keep the hands clean).

For shop work (wood and metal), I wouldn't wear gloves. I hear table saws and gloves can be dangerous.

Definitely agree for wood working or machine shop work. But I always wear them when working on vehicles. I get the "dot" gloves from ag suppliers. Knit synthetic gloves with rubber dots for grip. I can do all but the finest work and my hands don't get cut and banged up. And they stay clean. When the gloves get greasy and oily, they get tossed. $1 per pair. No big deal. And I use them for welding all but heavy work.

Not around power tools … just moving lumber, bricks, firewood … stuff like that …

No gloves in wood shop or changing the oil but I wear them fixing barb wire fence and a few other blood letting chores.

I wear gloves to weld and when handling sheet metal (special gloves with steel staple like things on the palm) or fluids otherwise no.

That’s one I should have thought of … put up a bunch of corrugated tin lately and it’s getting thinner and sharper so leather gloves were used for that …

Yeah I usually don't like them. Sometimes I'll wear the thin rubber ones when changing oil or doing other greasy stuff, or when handling a lot of tree branches that have thorns.

Otherwise I can't stand them. I also hate hats.

I can't generally wear hats, my head is too big.

I wear leather dress gloves at graveside services in cold weather, but even that's a PITA because some families insist on shaking hands with me as they leave and I was always taught to take off my glove to shake hands...it becomes tedious.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Not around power tools … just moving lumber, bricks, firewood … stuff like that …

That plus yard work, snow shoveling and kayaking

Originally Posted By: CincyDavid

I wear leather dress gloves at graveside services in cold weather, but even that's a PITA because some families insist on shaking hands with me as they leave and I was always taught to take off my glove to shake hands...it becomes tedious.

hand warmers?

You folks need to try deerskin work gloves for tasks other than fluid changes--much better than cow leather. Warmer in cold weather, cooler in hot weather, softer, stronger, etc.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pandus13
Originally Posted By: CincyDavid

hand warmers?

I don't think it would be cool for an honor guard in full dress to be sticking his hands into pockets to keep them warm.

I love wearing gloves and keep an appropriate pair in the pockets of every jacket/coat I own.
One thing that gloves are not good enough for is downhill skiing, when I wear mittens for more warmth. $15 ski mittens will keep me warmer than $100 ski gloves, although I have pretty nice mittens now that my family gave me. I guess I have to qualify this because I will almost always wear glove liners underneath the mittens...
I also don't wear gloves for oil changes and general wrenching because they feel too clunky, but I will usually wear heavy leather work gloves for tackling brush and small trees and heavy cloth gloves for raking and digging. I don't like having gloves on when swinging an axe, though.

I actually had a "save". A hedge trimmer, with a 1" jaw opening, cut the glove but I pulled back before it got my finger. (It wouldn't have slowed down if it hit my finger.) The glove gave advance warning.

"I don't think it would be cool for an honor guard in full dress to be sticking his hands into pockets to keep them warm."

The honor guard guys wear the white "mickey mouse" gloves and never take them off that I've seen. I'm the cemeterian, standing there off to the side, greeting the family, closing the back door on the funeral coach and keeping an eye on things.

I think you've taken the advice of your shop teacher way too far. Sure. Loose clothing, including gloves, are an absolute no-no around power tools such as drills, saws, mills, lathes, and such.

But I always wear gloves when working on the car, doing yard work, hauling supplies. There is no way that I would do winter activities without a good pair of gloves. And a nice pair of grilling gloves make handling cooked meat so much easier. And a pair of welding gloves are almost a must when dumping hot charcoal out of a chimney lighter, and spreading them in a grill. I always wear a pair of elbow length rubber coated gloves when working with drain cleaner, and wouldn't think of working with household chlorine without a pair of gloves.

In my teen years I worked on farms during the summer. I learned very early of the value of a nice pair of leather gloves. Not only do they keep your hands clean, but they protect your hands and give a better grip. The right pair of gloves for the job make all the difference in the world.

So, yea, I really like wearing gloves when the job calls for it. Are they annoying as the dickens when you need to do fine work? Sure. but the neat thing about gloves is they come off, unlike severe hand damage from, oh, lets say frost bite, chemical burns, heat burns.

There are some amazing gloves these days … brands like Kong etc … pricy … but with selective use and proper storage will last a looooong time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back