Struggling Subway franchises upset with promos

Status
Not open for further replies.
I stopped eating at subway, to expensive. A few years ago I could get a sandwich for $5. Then $6. Then $11. Price jumping got way out of hand. Only time I go in there is if I have a coupon or they run a promo.

I am no fast food customer of any importance. I read the story and think this:

1) Subway's appeal is the crunch of the fresh lettuce and adjustability of the dressings.

2) The franchisees claim the menu is bland and that new flavors should be added.

Another round of the old, restaurant flavor name-game is upon us. Oseago cheese, teriaki sauce, orange glaze

When the "fast restaurants" went to advertising Jack Daniel's sauces etc., I thought I was going to puke just hearing the ads.

I think swollen chains can contract. Unlike video stores, there'll always be some Subways around.

Even stupid people can learn to make a sandwich for their lunch. Economic times ain't getting any better for their target customers.

If you live in an area where you can get a real hoagie, then you'll never go to Subway again. Not sure how they survive up here, you can frequently get a combo 14" sub and drink for $6 with tax at any local place here. Never liked the quality of Subway, just blan. It's no wonder they aren't doing as well.

Subway used to be one of my favorites among the big food chains, but I feel that they are relatively bland these days and it's not worth waiting in line if there are more than 2-3 customers in front of me. They can only have 2 people at most making sandwiches with their typical layout and I get antsy just standing there.
My wife more or less refuses to go to Subway and says all the meats she will eat taste the same...ham, turkey, salami, stuff like that. I think their beef is OK and will get that or tuna salad if I do happen to be near one and there is no wait...the one I will stop at most frequently (twice a year now???) is in a gas station convenience store, the really fun thing there is if there is only one person covering the sandwiches and the gas register. I think they are supposed to be run as separate businesses with different employees, but I guess they don't shut down the Subway part if people don't show up for work or they have open positions.
I don't see Quiznos too often, but I would pick that over Subway any day. Seems more flavorful in general.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
My wife more or less refuses to go to Subway and says all the meats she will eat taste the same...ham, turkey, salami, stuff like that. I think their beef is OK

I agree, even the meat has no flavor, i hate the breads. I don't like any whacky sauces anyway. They seem to rely on sauce to have any flaver. No flaky backed breads, all tough chewy breads.

I avoid subway. I'll go hungry before eat there.

Subway has lost everything it originally had going for it. Barely a blip on the fast food radar anymore. Too expen$ive for what you get, and they're stuff isn't that "healthy" it contains the same nitrites and excessive sodium as pre-packaged cold cuts.

I will eat at either Jimmy John's (#8) or drive over to Tubby's (Mushroom Steak and Cheese), versus pulling into Subway's. I like Panera's, but their large sandwiches cost more.

Originally Posted By: Delta
If you live in an area where you can get a real hoagie, then you'll never go to Subway again. Not sure how they survive up here, you can frequently get a combo 14" sub and drink for $6 with tax at any local place here. Never liked the quality of Subway, just blan. It's no wonder they aren't doing as well.

Exactly. Anyone who thinks that Subway is good has questionable taste. Pre cut junk cold cuts on lousy, soft bread is only good for one thing - convenience. For the price there's better. For a little more there's far better. The only thing subway does is give consistentency in fast food that is perceived as healthier than other fast food. But with a lot more options out there, and other chains touting healthier options, the value of Subway is questionable.

They'll never go away, but there's one on every corner it seems. They were apparently the largest franchise at one time. To contract is naturalist you overgrew and the market is shifting.

I used to work there, nothing is truly fresh except bell peppers and tomatoes. On the back end everything there is run like a regular fast food chain in prepackaged boxes and bags.most of the meats are precut. Even the whole wheat breads are 50% white and 50% whole wheat. Frozen dough might I add. Most franchisees try to get by skimping on meat. You should get 10 pieces of salami/pepperoni, and 8 slices of turkey/ham etc. They'll tell you to give 6-8 pieces of salami/pepperoni and 6 pieces of turkey/ham. Plus they'll have 2 people running the whole place. Understaffed underpaid and overworked. I quit after 3 months.

By me Subway sandwiches are a little cheaper than the delis. But not as good. They do okay in the city with the lunch crowd on a budget, but struggle in the suburbs. I don't think the owner of the suburb store by me makes much money at all.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Best Subs in my area are from Publix grocery store. Ed

I agree, especially with Boars Head meats & cheese and toasted, sooooo delicious.

Originally Posted By: THafeez
I used to work there, nothing is truly fresh except bell peppers and tomatoes. On the back end everything there is run like a regular fast food chain in prepackaged boxes and bags.most of the meats are precut. Even the whole wheat breads are 50% white and 50% whole wheat. Frozen dough might I add. Most franchisees try to get by skimping on meat. You should get 10 pieces of salami/pepperoni, and 8 slices of turkey/ham etc. They'll tell you to give 6-8 pieces of salami/pepperoni and 6 pieces of turkey/ham. Plus they'll have 2 people running the whole place. Understaffed underpaid and overworked. I quit after 3 months.

I do know some franchises were unhappy that Subway wanted a percentage of the cost of the food that was thrown away and never sold.

They already get a percentage of gross sales at the register, but also claimed they were entitled to a percentage of $$$ from food tossed in dumpster. This was a few years ago and a lawsuit filed.

I have to admit I take the kids there once in a while. They split a ham or beef foot long loaded with the expensive veggies and I figure its probably the best fast food option in terms of cost, veggies consumed, and garbage produced.

Doesn't surprise me. I won't touch Subway with a 10 foot pole. There's just so many better alternatives:

Jimmy Johns (which I don't care for)
Potbelly (which I love)
Which Wich
Firehouse
Jason's Deli
Panera
Davanni's

The list goes on and on.

I can go to Jersey Mike's for the same price as Subway, and they slice the meat and cheese as they make your sandwich. It makes a huge difference in taste, and the quality is a lot higher.

The local Subways, have started the "cheap" cost fighting a while back:
I always had to fight for lettuce, or any veggies...
and freshness, .... not much

and their tomatoes look like they where pickled.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back