Filter change by minder at 42K miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
The WIX filter minder on my Toyota (in the sig) finally reached 11" after 6 years & 9 months.
Gauge checked after a WOT run to 5000 rpm.

Dirty side:

Clean side:

Close up:

The new filter reached one click below 8" restriction.

Have you tried to put a new vs the old filter on a scale to see how much debris it actually trapped? According to Fleetguard a 14Liter diesel engine is worn out when it have ingested 227 grams of dirt!

Motorsen

Many thanks for the pics. They "always" say, there's more life to an air filter than we think.

This is what I think.

1) The air velocity drop which occurs in the lower portion of air cleaner housings allows heavier dirt to precipitate out.

ERGO the dirt which gets to the filter is finer. I believe this is plainly evident.

2) In the absence of repeated dirty exposure I think 30K is a great time to economically replace the filter. Mine look much like yours after that much time.

3) It's a good part to need periodically so you can add it to parts orders and reach 'Free Shipping" thresholds regularly.

4) I also think it's OK to avoid drilling a hole and risking creating a source of unfiltered air in your upper housing.

Circuitsmith did the right thing by using the filter it's proper service life. Changing an air filter too often is not good for the engine. Good Job!

That's great. You changed it out before it got loaded up with to much dirt and you got the most miles out of it. The next filter may last longer or shorter depending how clean the air is. That's what so great about a restriction gauge, it tells you when the time is right to change the filter out.

ROD

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Did you notice any performance increase with a fresh filter?

None at all. The 4-6" difference in restriction (new vs old) works out to ~2% difference in wide open peak power.
If I could make the intake plumbing "perfect" and eliminate the 6-7" of new filter restriction
that could gain another 2%.

Originally Posted By: circuitsmith
... The 4-6" difference in restriction (new vs old) works out to ~2% difference in wide open peak power. ...
Where does the 4" to 6" come from? It looks like only 11"-8"= 3" difference in the initial post.

That really doesn't look terribly dirty. Somewhat surprising really...

If it took 42k for your minder to recommend replacement, then 36k without a minder really isn't that bad of an idea.

Originally Posted By: CR94
... The 4-6" difference in restriction (new vs old) works out to ~2% difference in wide open peak power. ...
Where does the 4" to 6" come from? It looks like only 11"-8"= 3" difference in the initial post.

From my orig post:
The new filter reached one click below 8" restriction.

I take that to be 5" to 7". 11"-7"= 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back