Bought a car with 291k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey I figure this would be a great first post. Last night I bought a 94 corolla 7afe with 291,409 miles on it.

Did a compression test this morning after warming it up. 217,207,205,175. I figure why not experiment and see if any cleaners could bump number 4 up to snuff. Since I have good before numbers nows the time to find out.

My usual go to is Seafoam...but Ive been thinking of giving gumout a try. Any suggestions?

Oil looks well. Ill probably just use supertech stuff from walmart when I change it. The car is just a beater. I run Amsoil in my main cars.

were the valves ever adjusted(obiv. you dont know)..
they are supposed to be checked around 60000?? miles IIRC.

Of course "if it aint broke dont fix it".. applies.

welcome2.gif
to BITOG!

As for the car... Be happy it lived that many miles and it's still running. It could be a bunch of things at that point.
grin2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Chris142
Probably needs that exhaust valve adjusted.

+1

It's probably too tight. Adjust it to the loose end of the spec to keep it from burning up.

edit: I just realized your engine is shim/bucket - not so easy to adjust. I would just rock it until it started misfiring. Then you can remove the head and do a complete valve job.
cool.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
I hope you didn't pay more than $500

Inpaid much less. Interior is near perfect. Paint not so much...

Originally Posted By: eyeofthetiger

+1

It's probably too tight. Adjust it to the loose end of the spec to keep it from burning up.

edit: I just realized your engine is shim/bucket - not so easy to adjust. I would just rock it until it started misfiring. Then you can remove the head and do a complete valve job.
cool.gif

Correct yeah I might check clearances for yucks. Dont care that much as I plan to change motors in the long run.

Originally Posted By: eyeofthetiger

+1

cool.gif

I would fix it now instead of waiting for it to burn. We did the shim thing to a friends toyota. Instead of buying different sized ones we chucked it up in a lathe and removed just enough to get it back in spec.

Originally Posted By: malibuguy79

My usual go to is Seafoam...but Ive been thinking of giving gumout a try. Any suggestions?

Brake fluid.

I mean as a decoker, but you could probably put some in the brake system as well. if that isn't too weird for you.

It is the luck of the drawer as to whether a major system will take a dump at any point in time. Simple basic maintenance with fluids per mfg inteval, replace brake pads and tires when worn. Otherwise, if it runs more or less ok, leave her alone and hope for the best. I would guess that making many small repairs to try and get it running like a newer vehicle will not extend the expected life of the vehicle.

Last edited:
Seems like an ideal candidate for some heavy duty diesel engine oil and low OCI's. Some pictures under the rocker cover before and after a few thousand miles wouldn't go amiss either!
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Bailes1992
Seems like an ideal candidate for some heavy duty diesel engine oil and low OCI's. Some pictures under the rocker cover before and after a few thousand miles wouldn't go amiss either!
wink.gif

Thats a good idea about under the cover. I was going to take it off at least to clean. Its filthy and judging by the surrounding gunk...the gasket has seen better days.

t...amp;oe=5ABF352A

7afe burns oil, so keep an eye on the level.

The lone 175 cylinder, you probably can't do much about it. Try a thicker HM oil? clean the EGR if this is the cylinder it goes into? Check for exhaust or intake leak? Test it again to make sure you are doing it right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back