Cold weather oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, what would you folks say is a good cold weather motor oil? M1 0w20, 0w40 or 5w20. Just asking is all

It was a balmy 11F this morning here also
smile.gif

Guys: I don’t need a extreme cold weather oil; just asked what you guys think is a good oil for cold weather conditions

Thanks

Originally Posted By: car51
Guys: I don’t need a extreme cold weather oil; just asked what you guys think is a good oil for cold weather conditions

Thanks

Full synthetic is my preference. Anything from an 0w-20, 0w-30, 0w-40 5w-20, 5w-30, 5w-40. I'm sure others will chime in.

I'm currently using PPPP 5w-20 on my Caravan and PPPP 5W-30 on the Civic.

Last edited:
My definition of cold and yours is different.
laugh.gif

If you get above freezing a couple times a week, I don't see why any 5w30 wouldn't work for you. Some weeks we don't get above 0F and even then we use 0w20 Mobil Super Full Synthetic in the Prius and 5w30 PPHM in the Land Cruiser. Both with block heaters and battery heaters so they could run anything and still be fine.

A solid 5w30, 5w20 or 0w20 would be just fine. In your area where it does routinely get to -10°F to -15°F these all would make it just fine in those temps. If I was looking at a particular brand I would go with Mobil EP 0w20, Castrol Magnatec 0w20, Castrol Magnatec 5w30.

Guess what I saw at a Napa near me Captain?? Amsoil Signature Series 5w30, 0w30, 5w20. Surprised me a good bit. That Napa in Smithfield, Va had a very good oil selection across the board. I was impressed. I told the guys there that the Napa near me was trailer park in comparison to their good/nice store.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: car51
No idea who makes that oil; no thanks

I’ll use M1 0w40 thank you

Thought you bought Penz something last week.

Except pour point only tells you how easily it gets out of the bottle if you are doing an oil change at -50C

It got dropped as a predictor of actual engine oil performance decades ago.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Except pour point only tells you how easily it gets out of the bottle if you are doing an oil change at -50C

It got dropped as a predictor of actual engine oil performance decades ago.

It's a "Somewhat" indicator of pumping ability. Not exact but the lower the pour point is the pumping ability will also be better.

I was never suggesting that it was the same thing but there is a somewhat correlation is all.
wink.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back