FRAM TG3614 Cut Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
This filter is off of a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan with a 3.8 liter engine. The filter was in use for 5,500 miles over the course of ten months. The pleat spacing isn't very even, but there aren't any real problems with the filter. This is actually the first TG3614 I've cut open that doesn't have any visible gaps in the seam when checking with a bright light in the center tube.

cq7eX7w.jpg

t8uyz7l.jpg

ojH7kxs.jpg

SNhiQK0.jpg

RokuCof.jpg

w9q5HzC.jpg

Seems decent enough for what it is. I don't hate these filters per se, but you can do a lot better for the money. It held up fine and the engine didn't blow during the OCI-- I consider that a success.

I used Castrol Edge High Mileage 5W-30 on the last oil change and it reduced oil consumption to 1qt every 3,600 miles (it was using 1qt every 1,700 mi with non HM oils and 1qt every 2,500 mi with FS MaxLife). I refilled the car with another jug of Edge HM and installed a WIX XP.

Originally Posted By: goodtimes
That's a different test, good idea, surprised the seams weren't sealed well until this one.

Yeah, I've been starting to avoid the TG3614 filters after seeing that four out of the five that I've cut open have had gaps in the glue seam. It's kind of strange because all the TG3600 and TG7317 filters that I've cut open have been perfectly sealed.

Originally Posted By: HX520W
Yeah, I've been starting to avoid the TG3614 filters after seeing that four out of the five that I've cut open have had gaps in the glue seam. It's kind of strange ...
Yes, it's strange! Is that thread I see holding the splice together in 3 places, or what? What does the differential pressure do to the seams with visible gaps?

Originally Posted By: CR94
Is that thread I see holding the splice together in 3 places, or what?

That's just some fraying from manufacturing; it's nothing to worry about. The problem that I've frequently seen with this particular model of filter seems to be caused by the adhesive in the seam not fully filling all the gaps. I don't think that the adhesive is failing. It looks like there either isn't enough of it, or that the media isn't held evenly enough until it cures.

Here's a picture I took a few years ago to illustrate the problem. I should also make it clear that Motorking contacted me after I originally posted this image and asked me to send the filter in so that they could take a look at it. I didn't get around to it before the filter was disposed of, but it's nice to see that FRAM cares.
5zVaQbV.jpg

Originally Posted By: CR94
What does the differential pressure do to the seams with visible gaps?

It's hard to say. I can imagine it closing up with flow or opening wider depending on how much the surrounding pleats move under load.

Originally Posted By: 92saturnsl2
Seems decent enough for what it is. I don't hate these filters per se, but you can do a lot better for the money. It held up fine and the engine didn't blow during the OCI-- I consider that a success.

What is better for the money?

Originally Posted By: SlipperyPete
Originally Posted By: 92saturnsl2

What is better for the money?

With the recent price increase of the "New" Tough Guard, for many applications there is only a $2 or so difference in price between a TG and an Ultra.
if you use the Ultra for 2 changes, the Ultra ends up being a better deal (but many do not/will not do 2 OCI with the same filter).

If you can find filters on sale, sure you can do better, but I still think the TG is a good deal for ~$6-7.
Syn blend media, 99.9% filtration @ 20 microns, silicone ADV.
It is at least equal in performance to a Mobil 1 filter, but 30-40% cheaper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back