mazda cx-5 owners?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We drove a cx-5 yesterday, we liked it. How has the reliability been? Any concerns from those of you who own one?

We bought the 2017 Grand Touring at the end of October. So far it has exceeded our expectations. I found absolutely no flaws anywhere inside or out. It drives very well and it is a good long trip cruiser if needed. Fuel economy is at 29.7 avg which is above what I expected since I short trip a lot. On the freeway I saw 32-33 mpg.

Are you looking at a certain trim level?

Originally Posted By: spasm3
We are looking at the touring awd.

You get a great bang for the buck at that trim level.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
We bought the 2017 Grand Touring at the end of October. So far it has exceeded our expectations. I found absolutely no flaws anywhere inside or out. It drives very well and it is a good long trip cruiser if needed. Fuel economy is at 29.7 avg which is above what I expected since I short trip a lot. On the freeway I saw 32-33 mpg.

One of my coworkers just bought a 2017 GT model as well. She feels exactly the same way. She traded in her EX35 for the Mazda and thought she was downgrading regarding the things that matter most to her. She now feels it's been an upgrade.

-interior fit and finish
-quite cabin
-Interior material quality
-roomieness

Originally Posted By: wemay

One of my coworkers just bought a 2017 GT model as well. She feels exactly the same way. She traded in her EX35 for the Mazda and thought she was downgrading regarding the things that matter most to her. She now feels it's been an upgrade.

-interior fit and finish
-quite cabin
-Interior material quality
-roomieness

Wemay, that is spot on. My experiences started in the 70’s with the junk the American automakers were putting out. There were always issues that were taken care of by the dealer before leaving the lot. One vehicle I bought had rust bubbling on the rear quarter panels. This was typical of the 70’s-80’s era.

Then I switched to the Japanese brands like many did then. To purchase a car with zero defects anywhere impressed me. Even underneath, all the wiring and lines were laid out neatly and secured to the bottom unlike hoses and wiring hanging on the US cars.

Even though the CX-5 is considered a sub-compact, it feels much larger inside. The noise reduction efforts have also made this car a joy to have a quiet conversation at 70mph.

This YouTube video is a great example of how Mazda is trying to compete a class above as they say by comparing the CX-5 to its counterparts from BMW, Audi, Lexus etc.

https://youtu.be/dLEZuUs9M8A

I have a 2013 CX-5 GT (bought new in Aug 2012). I only have about 35k miles but it's been extremely reliable.

What year are you looking at?
See if you like the entertainment unit and the level of heat in the seats.

We have '15 GT, replaced cracked windshield that came out of nowhere. The car was stationery... '17+ is next generation, the windshield is thicker and different.

Otherwise, no complaints, knock on wood. Great AWD, if you need it. Our transmission has been very good so far, but some owners report it busted.

'18 will come with cylinder de-activation, a no-no in my books, but nevertheless.

Originally Posted By: pda1122
How are cx-5’s in the snow? I heard they leave much to be desired. Maybe it’s all in the tires

Ours is fantastic. Mazda really excelled with this AWD system. Wish they paid as much attention to cabin electronics...

Tires are more significant in the snow, slush, or on ice then any AWD, and I put Blizzaks on it every November.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pda1122
How are cx-5’s in the snow? I heard they leave much to be desired. Maybe it’s all in the tires

The Mazda awd System uses predictive technology to anticipate situations needing awd before they happen. Subaru has always been noted to have the best system but others have caught up now. Here is a YouTube video showing tests of various brands of crossovers in the snow in Colorado.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLpugW87lP_KAsRrc7dZGPgIq9r9uJ0S-y

Originally Posted By: yugrus
What year are you looking at?

We drove a "new" 17, they had no 18's. I would consider a 17 if the price is right, as its now a year old. I will have to check on the cyl deactivation, i would not want that either.

You're safe with '17 in that regard, no turbo, no cylinder de-activation. Just Skyactiv 2.5L that gets intake valves really hot to fight deposits.
The price should be right, all-mighty '18 should pop up in spring.
Better don't do many short trips to fight fuel dilution.

This YouTube video is a great example of how Mazda is trying to compete a class above as they say by comparing the CX-5 to its counterparts from BMW, Audi, Lexus etc.

Cool video. Thanks
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: spasm3
No details, but i understand there is a cx-5 diesel for 2018. I am curious about that.

It seems to be delayed. Not sure why. For a small automaker Mazda has a lot of irons in the fire. Their new SkyActiv X engine is ready to roll out and Toyota is using Mazda’s SkyActiv G engines in the upcoming Corolla plus a new plant in the US with Toyota and Mazda both assembling cars there.

Originally Posted By: StevieC

Cool video. Thanks
thumbsup2.gif

Agreed!

Sound like its not a bad choice from what everyone here says. We liked it better than the rav4, and the kia sportage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back