First time using JB Weld: User Error or too cold?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had one [censored] of a time fixing an exhaust leak from my crossover pipe. First it was the gasket, now after getting a used crossover it’s coming from the joint where the flange meets the pipe. I won’t tighten it any more due to warping of the flange so I went the JB weld high heat epoxy putty route.

It’s my first time using it so I didn’t actually knead it into a ball, I flattened the stick out and kept folding it over on its self until the two parts were mixed and a nice grey color. I prepped the surface prior with engine degreaser followed by brake kleen, then used 60 grit sand paper to rough up the surface.

As I was pressing and molding the putty in place it began snowing. By the time I was done it was in the low 30s and still is 16 hours later. I fired it up this morning and I could still hear the exhaust leak, and after 30 seconds the putty patch went from solid rock consistency back to putty and was malleable.

I’m reading online it needs double cure time in temps lower than 50 degrees F. However after 16 hours, 8 of which I used a work light which burns your hands after being on 30 minutes to try and quicken the curing process, some areas are still malleable.

So did I knead incorrectly or is it too cold for this stuff to cure?

Years ago I had a’79 L82 Corvette I desmogged by having a Midas shop put an earlier model big block exhaust on the car. They did a great job on the install and I noticed they brushed every joint with furnace cement before assembling. The owner told me it was a common practice. Drove that car for 12 more years and never had an exhaust leak. I never forgot the furnace cement thing and it’s easy to come by too. It sure worked for me and it might work for you. Just a thought. HD and Lowes both carry it.
Can’t copy and paste for some reason but Home Depot has “Rutland Furnace Cement in tub black -64c” for $6.29. The pictures show a caulk like tube. Might be your answer.

None of this will help you but I gotta "vent it".

1) I've only used the original JB Weld and it's been PERFECT every time.
Your grey color being uniform HAS to be OK.

2) I checked to see what your "High Heat" version packaging looks like. I wasn't aware they made that.

3) Were you able to partially disassemble your system (to get a better bite) or did you just apply it superficially?
An "up-side-down pyramid" of putty stuck in a hole likely will blow out. 'Know what I mean?....no shoulder.

4) The temperature was likely your problem. I wouldn't think a bad batch came down the pike.
But you did say a hardened sample went back to being putty, no?

5) At first you don't succeed.....

Temperature. Epoxy setting time is related to temperature. We have epoxies at work that require elevated temperature to set. That stuff goes in an oven. At lower temperatures it can take the epoxy a long long time to set, or it might not even set.

Mixing is also critical. I've had epoxies fail to set due to inadequate mixing. My rule of thumb is mix it well, then mix it some more.

When using epoxy, keep the little pan or whatever of waste mixed epoxy. Then you can check the setting of the epoxy in the waste, without disturbing the patch. In other words, you can poke and prod the waste, you wouldn't want to poke and prod the patch.

My bet is on the low temperature. Even with localized heating, the exhaust pipe would tend to draw off the heat and remain cool.

I haven't had much luck with patching exhaust systems. The patch tends to be very temporary.

Last edited:
I use high temp rtv on exhaust joints. (Permatex orange or preferably red). It's been a while since I've done that type of repair, so Permatex may have changed their colors on their hi-temp rtv. It works long-term although you may not think it would.

C1904824-5_B6_D-45_AD-8185-_B340_F71_A57_AA.jpg

And I’ve tried copper rtv to no avail. The gap has to be paper thin to seal properly. This gap is 1/8 inch.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kira
None of this will help you but I gotta "vent it".

1) I've only used the original JB Weld and it's been PERFECT every time.
Your grey color being uniform HAS to be OK.

2) I checked to see what your "High Heat" version packaging looks like. I wasn't aware they made that.

3) Were you able to partially disassemble your system (to get a better bite) or did you just apply it superficially?
An "up-side-down pyramid" of putty stuck in a hole likely will blow out. 'Know what I mean?....no shoulder.

4) The temperature was likely your problem. I wouldn't think a bad batch came down the pike.
But you did say a hardened sample went back to being putty, no?

5) At first you don't succeed.....

I reworked it afterwards and it still didn’t cure after 16 hours. Bottom portion is cured somewhat, the above portion in the photo stayed malleable. Just burnt up and smelled horrible. I overlapped the two portions at the joint and instruction said to cover not only the area being patched but to extend the putty 1 inch out from the patched area which Is why I used the whole Stick.

Last edited:
Trying rtv once more. I noticed that latest crossover pipe is slightly smaller in diameter than the old one, which makes no sense given its the same make and model, 3 year difference. If the rtv blows I’m gonna take it out and haul [censored] then come back and tighten the compression gasket while it’s still hot. I’m just hoping it doesn’t shrink upon cooling.

I also ordered that furnace cement as a back up. 😀

Last edited:
Neither RTV or over torquing did much of anything. The furnace cement arrived today so I’ll throw it on tomorrow and give it a the weekend to cure.

I use to use a muffler cement back in the day. Worked great as long as no flexing went on and all was secure.

THis stuff looks like it may work fine. I packed it in the joint and around it. Gonna wait a full day instead of an hour and it claims to resist vibrations. There’s is no flexing as both ends of the pipe are bolted in place.

77_AC50_CD-_A4_C4-49_ED-8568-_E65_B13_F82574.jpg

I’ve literally been reduced to standing outside with a lighter trying to cure this [censored] at the joint. Neighbors must be having fun watching me. 😂

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
I recently used JB Weld in Florida summer, mixed it properly, and it still hadn't hardened after 24 hours. Methinks the formula has changed.

There's different types...for better success stay away from the ones that say kwik. The longer it takes to cure the better.
https://www.jbweld.com/collections/metal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back