Considering Amsoil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm considering buying enough Amsoil XL 5W-30 to service my dad's '16 Silverado and his fiancée's '14 Impala next spring. I also like the specs on the Premium Protection 10W-40, but I can't justify the cost on it. I'll just stick with Havoline 10W-40 for the Roadmaster. Opinions?

If you have a powertrain warranty on any of those new-ish GM rides, then you should know that Amsoil is NOT dexos1 certified. If an engine problem happens, your warranty claim could be nullified by GM for using the "wrong" oil. Which means we don't really know if it would pass all the extra dexos1 tests over and above SN GF-5 tests. Amsoil refuses to certify their oils. They do make quality oils, so you could just take the chance and pay the extra money for Amsoil.

Also, I wouldn't use any Amsoil product with high calcium in any GM vehicle with direct injection and/or a turbo, to prevent GM's dreaded LSPI concerns.
When Mobil now has the Annual Protection Mobil1, why pay extra for Amsoil? Annual Protection is dexos1 Gen2, having the extra timing chain wear tests and LSPI tests over the old dexos1, and XOM's latest anti-oxidants.

Originally Posted By: 03s
The latest Amsoil XL 5w-30 is Dexos1 Gen 2. Never tried any myself. https://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g1404.pdf

Amsoil isn't certified to dexos1 Gen2 in any of their products.
Also, they mention only 2 tests they claim they pass, yet exclude any mention of the new timing chain wear test, for example, and we don't know if they pass all the other 1st-gen and 2nd-gen dexos1 performance tests. They might, we just don't know. Maybe one or two tests don't really pass and they don't want to talk about them, for all we know. They only claim it can be used in very carefully worded lawyerly statements to make you think its all OK. How do we know??? No official dexos1 certification.

Wow … that’s some spin there … (read the link)
If you are not running Amsoil SS or another of their top shelf products … why bother with the cost, lack of OEM license, and I’ll never find it half price at year end …

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 4WD
Wow … that’s some spin there … (read the link)
If you are not running Amsoil SS or another of their top shelf products … why bother with the cost, lack of OEM license, and I’ll never find it half price at year end …

+1

Over the counter Synthetics these days are so good that honestly I am surprised Amsoil is still in business.

Jeff

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Something from Pennzoil or XOM would be my choice.

Yep. There are a number of excellent oils available that can be run 10-15k miles or more, plus they have the certifications necessary for vehicle warranties and are easily available at a far cheaper price.

I’m not beating on Amsoil here, just stating the facts. I’m sure Amsoil is a quality product.

I was discussing just yesterday the Amsoil SS 5w-30 with a fellow technician, as he owns a 2016 GMC Sierra with a 4.3. It specs 5w-30, Dexos flavor. He is currently running Valvoline Synthetic with Dexos approval. I also run Valvoline synthetic in 5w-20 in my 2015 Kia Optima and 2003 Mercury Marauder. We were reviewing the 540RAT blog, in which he had tested Amsoil SS 0-20 and 5-30 to around 134,000 psi of protection. We concluded that if we paid for oil (we basically don't because the Valvoline synthetic is in bulk at our dealership) we would be using Amsoil SS without hesitation. But since we get such a screaming deal on oil at work we have chosen to stay with Valvoline. We are both dealership technicians and know that an oil analysis cannot tell the auto manufacturer what brand of oil was used in the engine for warranty purposes. I would use Amsoil with no fear in a GM product. If the engine or catalytic converter dies in the warranty period it is on GM's head to prove neglect, and as far as customer service is concerned it looks really bad to start throwing blame around on an assumption the wrong oil (brand) was used. Want warm fuzzies? Use something with the right propaganda on the bottle. You want the best protection and know better? Go with your instincts. Review the 540RAT blog for more details, and I do realize this one independent test is not the be-all-end-all, but it's another piece of the decision making puzzle. I don't use the oil specified in the manual for my 1947 Ford 2N tractor either. When an internal engine failure occurs at Kia under warranty, the only thing they really verify is that the oil was changed AT LEAST every 7,500 miles. Which to me is ridiculous on the GDI engines. Kia never has asked if a customer used Amsoil. If the customer elected to do the "25,000 mile Amsoil oil change interval" warranty coverage would be void. However if the oil is changed at the proper interval, using Supertech or Amsoil, the warranty will be honored as long as there is no evidence of other types of neglect.

134,000 PSI of protection? Wow that sounds like a lot. How much PSI of protection is specified by the manufacturer? Is that higher or lower than what is required?

Originally Posted By: 69Torino
I was discussing just yesterday the Amsoil SS 5w-30 with a fellow technician, as he owns a 2016 GMC Sierra with a 4.3. It specs 5w-30, Dexos flavor. He is currently running Valvoline Synthetic with Dexos approval. I also run Valvoline synthetic in 5w-20 in my 2015 Kia Optima and 2003 Mercury Marauder. We were reviewing the 540RAT blog, in which he had tested Amsoil SS 0-20 and 5-30 to around 134,000 psi of protection. We concluded that if we paid for oil (we basically don't because the Valvoline synthetic is in bulk at our dealership) we would be using Amsoil SS without hesitation. But since we get such a screaming deal on oil at work we have chosen to stay with Valvoline. We are both dealership technicians and know that an oil analysis cannot tell the auto manufacturer what brand of oil was used in the engine for warranty purposes. I would use Amsoil with no fear in a GM product. If the engine or catalytic converter dies in the warranty period it is on GM's head to prove neglect, and as far as customer service is concerned it looks really bad to start throwing blame around on an assumption the wrong oil (brand) was used. Want warm fuzzies? Use something with the right propaganda on the bottle. You want the best protection and know better? Go with your instincts. Review the 540RAT blog for more details, and I do realize this one independent test is not the be-all-end-all, but it's another piece of the decision making puzzle. I don't use the oil specified in the manual for my 1947 Ford 2N tractor either. When an internal engine failure occurs at Kia under warranty, the only thing they really verify is that the oil was changed AT LEAST every 7,500 miles. Which to me is ridiculous on the GDI engines. Kia never has asked if a customer used Amsoil. If the customer elected to do the "25,000 mile Amsoil oil change interval" warranty coverage would be void. However if the oil is changed at the proper interval, using Supertech or Amsoil, the warranty will be honored as long as there is no evidence of other types of neglect.

Originally Posted By: 69Torino
I was discussing just yesterday the Amsoil SS 5w-30 with a fellow technician,

You should consider breaking that post into a few paragraphs. Looks like a big blob.

I don't know of any auto manufacturer that publishes specifications for oil film strength. I did mention that I believe the 540RAT blog and the testing he conducted are not gospel, it is just something I am willing to consider as a third party test with no prejudice. There are lots of pieces to the puzzle when considering the oil you want to use and feel good about, some more important to different people than others. I like to not be bound by what "The Man" says I should use. Also why I would not own a GM product, because I feel they under engineered the engines and made up for the inequities by developing a stringent oil specification.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
You should consider breaking that post into a few paragraphs. Looks like a big blob.

My apologies, the thoughts roll out faster than the punctuation.

What do you expect to gain from buying Amsoil that costs twice as much as the non botique equivelent? Will you see any of the Amsoils benefits? I am not knocking Amsoilas it is great oil but for every vehicle that has great results there are ten times more vehicles getting the same results with off the shelf oils.

One point one can argue is if you use an over the counter synthetic oil that meets your cars required specs, change it every 5k miles out of sake of arguement, vs lets say Amsoil anything and I am not just picking on Amsoil but ANY boutique brand, is your car going to show any difference in wear? Even under severe usage?

For 99.9% of us out there? I seriously doubt it. For this reason, again, I am surprised Amsoil is still in business.

They must pay there Marketing people a grip of money is all I have to say.

Jeff

Originally Posted By: CT8
What do you expect to gain from buying Amsoil that costs twice as much as the non botique equivelent? Will you see any of the Amsoils benefits? I am not knocking Amsoilas it is great oil but for every vehicle that has great results there are ten times more vehicles getting the same results with off the shelf oils.

Watch out with that kind of post, you'll get yelled at by certain members for such views.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back