Winter Tire Package for McLaren?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just see your dealer. No mention of price in the press release. My wild guess would be $8000.

http://media.mclarenautomotive.com/en-gb/releases/514

Quote:
...The McLaren Winter Wheels and Tyres set consists of four, 14-spoke Lightweight Forged wheels in Stealth finish, fitted with Pirelli MC Sottozero 3 winter tyres and incorporating the McLaren tyre pressure monitoring system.

Developed by McLaren and Pirelli engineers specifically for the McLaren Sports Series family – the 540C, 570S, 570GT and new 570S Spider – the set comes fully assembled and ready to fit, allowing owners to swap quickly and easily to winter tyres and enjoy their McLaren to the full throughout the colder months…

...Pirelli MC Sottozero 3 tyres are branded with the ‘MC’ seal of approval and designed specifically for McLaren fitment to deliver optimal grip and control in adverse conditions. With a tread pattern that has a high drainage level reducing the chance of hydroplaning, the tyres provide maximum possible grip. They are effective on wet and dry roads when temperatures are low but not necessarily at freezing point; as a guide, once the ambient temperature regularly drops below 7 degrees Celsius (44 degrees Fahrenheit), both McLaren and Pirelli recommend the use of winter tyres….

Well now, this makes the purchase of the McLaren so much easier to justify! year round use!

Seriously?, how many sets would they expect to sell? what percentage of their owners would actually depend on this type of car for winter use instead of a Land Rover, Range Rover, insert premium SUV of your imagination?

Most super car owners own something like a GTI as their daily driver likely with winter tires.

It would be rare owner to take a McLaren out in the winter.

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
We have done several sets of winter tires on the new NSX.

Runs about $8000.

How do you like those, meaning the NSX? I assume we're talking about the new ones.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
We have done several sets of winter tires on the new NSX.

Runs about $8000.

How do you like those, meaning the NSX? I assume we're talking about the new ones.

Personal preference? Impressive engineering. But just more flappy paddle [censored] that turns any driver into a superhero.
wink.gif

I guess if you can afford a McLaren, you can afford to drive it in the winter as well. I'd assume this would be more for people in climates where it gets below 7C often, but doesn't snow alot.

I don't suppose it's much of a big deal. Most regular(?) tires for these exotic supercars are not meant to last over 10K miles. Bugatti tires are rated for 6K miles.

I prefer better tires for my DD. I just purchased a set of Michelins for my Box that are good for 80K miles. (lol)

Man, it is just me, or should I not sweat anymore when I buy tires at $110 a pop for a grand total of $500 with installation?

That reminds me, I need to look up property price trend in Ginza (Tokyo), Japan.
grin.gif

Way way more than 8k. Wayyyyyyy. Id probably double that number and then add some. Even a set of 4 tires, summer runflats would run about 2k installed. Coupled with the fact that Pirelli probably had to specially build this snow tire (theres no snow 285/35/19 runflats that are z rated), that is probably only going to fit this car, and that they may only sell a few hundred packages in total at best. Plus you own a McLaren so heres an extra few k tacked on. And then design a lightweight wheel with TPMS, that once again, only fits the McLaren. Theyre definitely going to want to get their investment back and then some...quick.
Also, in some areas, snows are mandatory if the car is on the road in certain seasons.

I can maybe see some McLarens being driven to, and around, some ski resorts like Aspen or St Moritz. I saw one on the tollway near O'Hare last December. I didn't notice snow tires though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back