Removing ethinol from gas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SirTanon
You're trolling, right? Add water to gasoline in order to 'remove' the ethanol? You realize that that's not at all how that works, right?

Seems legit. Adding water causes separation. Ethinol and water attract to each other. Drain the separation into a container. Leaving pure gas.

Originally Posted By: ARB1977
Originally Posted By: SirTanon
You're trolling, right? Add water to gasoline in order to 'remove' the ethanol? You realize that that's not at all how that works, right?

Seems legit. Adding water causes separation. Ethinol and water attract to each other. Drain the separation into a container. Leaving pure gas.

Seems like a lot of work to have pure fuel. Ethanol is actually a decent cleaner but doesn't store well. If you really need fuel without ethanol why not go the route of finding a pure fuel stations near you? I am sure there is some search capability with your zip code to find none ethanol fuel stations. Personally I wouldn't do this. Sounds like half [removed] chemistry experiment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
... If you really need fuel without ethanol why not go the route of finding a pure fuel stations near you? I am sure there is some search capability with your zip code to find none ethanol fuel stations. Personally I wouldn't do this. Sounds like half &#%$#^ chemistry experiment.

None within 100 miles of me.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Yes it does -- try it. I've been doing it for years to make gas for my OPE.

Here is a thread on it: Removing water from E10 gasoline

Do you run an octane booster with it? I've read it drops about 3 points. Since we have 93 here 90 octane wouldn't be bad.

Originally Posted By: Bgallagher
... If you really need fuel without ethanol why not go the route of finding a pure fuel stations near you? I am sure there is some search capability with your zip code to find none ethanol fuel stations. Personally I wouldn't do this. Sounds like half &#%$#^ chemistry experiment.

None within 100miles of me.

I've wanted to try this for some time but want some way to confirm the octane level afterwards.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
I've wanted to try this for some time but want some way to confirm the octane level afterwards.

I would try it with high octane. I've been told it lowers the octane by 3 points or so.

I've done this. Doesn't take much water to get the ethanol to separate out.

Helps to have the proper type container to do this with as there will be some waste.

I use a plastic 1000ml graduated cylinder.

51jb4BYVoaL._SL1100_.jpg

Originally Posted By: MasterSolenoid
I bought a Mr. Funnel years ago.
http://www.mrfunnel.com/Mr._Funnel/Home.html

The screen in it is sooo fine, gas passes thru it but not water.

To check its effectiveness, you purposely pour water into it and none should come out.

Now I know what your thinking, will it filter out the alcohol from the gas? ...... NO

Cool product!

I have a neighbor who pays $$$ for those quart cans of dehydrated gas. Another has a sep funnel in his garage. I wasn't successful in getting him to sell it to me however. It just sits there collecting dust...

Driving to purchase E0 means an hour...one way. It's 87 too.

This method works well due to alcohol being miscible in water. As such, it's an easy phase separation, thus my interest in the neighbor's large sep funnel. He doesn't really understand what he has there....

I find it rather simple to separate the alcohol from the gas. I do it with a clear 1/2-gal glass bottle. Add E10 and about 1/4 water. Cap and shake vigorously... it doesn't take long. The mixture will separate rather quickly, but will be cloudy. Let it settle for a bit, overnight is best. Then decant the gas on top. I use a length of hose to suck out the bottom fluid -- which is alcohol and water -- for less waste.

I sometimes double check by adding water to the decanted gasoline. None of the water ever mixes or interacts with the gasoline. That means there is no alcohol in the gasoline anymore.

So it sounds like we need a member with a flex-fuel vehicle that displays the level of ethanol in the current mix of gas to run down to E, and then separate out 10 gallons and dump it in their tank.

Find the member, and pay him for the experiment we should.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back