Hunters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally filled my first two whitetail tags of the seasons this past weekend. Used my trusty ol’ Ruger M77 .30-06 and Remington Core Lokt 180gr...

What do you use to put game on the table? Gun, ammo, or otherwise.

Either my .243 or my 7MM Remington Magnum!

All with hand loaded ammo.
.243 87 Gr. Hornady.
7MM 139 Gr Hornady for Deer and 160 Sierra Gameking for Elk.

Last edited:
My F350! I didn't fill a tag with it, nor did I eat it! I saw a 2x2 buck on the side of the road in the middle of town this morning "Dead" road kill. Population 7k! Humans.....They are pests here.

I use various cals, 243, 308, 30 06. They all work just fine! 180 Grain for deer is pretty heavy, unless it helps your rifle group a lot better. It does help a lot of .30's to group better. Its more of an elk or bear bullet.

243, 85 gr. head shots
308, 165gr. shoulder or heart
30 06 165gr. same

Last edited:
308 165 Cor-Lok
smile.gif

Last edited:
I typically use 150’s, but there are hogs were I was hunting and I was hunting from the ground. And when I’m on the ground with wild hogs, I don’t mess around and bump up to the 180’s... the deer can’t tell the difference.

due to work and family issues nothing this year and last year.Since I retired from my full time job I swear
I work more at my part time job.

In the past:250 sav 100gr.308 150gr.303 british 150gr and 180gr.16ga 1bk.243 85gr.

Winchester 94, 30-30, Remington 170 gr Core-Lokt, sometimes handloads from a friend, ghost ring sight. Every deer I've ever taken has been about 50-100 yards, often less. I don't hunt from a blind but I do use my ACD, Toby sometimes. She scouts ahead and directs me. One year she led me to a doe caught in a wire fence. I released the doe and she just sat down. I got the idea and gave her water and sat with her for a half hour or so until she stood up and took off. I did have a doe tag that year but it would not have been hunting my way. Still, it was a good day.

Didn't go this year.

OneeyeJack, that's called Sportsmanship and I don't see alot if it in Florida like Pennsylvania, where I am from.
Enough that I don't even hunt down here but when I did it was a 30-06 Remington 7600 pump with Winchester 170 grain Silver tips.

We can only rifle hunt in IN on private land; public land must be shotgun or handgun.

I use a 20ga Rem 870 with a rifled deer bbl and sabot slugs. Amazingly accurate at 100 yds for a shotgun.

Mostly I have put pheasants on the table. I use a CZ712 as a beater and my Franchi AL48 (both in 12ga) to do so. I also have used at times a Browning A5, a Winchester 97, and a Remington 1100 magnum.

For deer, I've got a Horton Crossbow and use spitfire mechanical broad heads, and a 20g H&R ultra slug hunter shooting 3" 280gr remington accutip sabots. No rifles allowed in my area although that's pretty much what the slug hunter is...

Remington Gamemaster 760 in .35 Rem. Mostly Remington soft point ammo. Have killed two with it, one with a Savage 219 30-30 (great gun) and one with a 40 cal. muzzleloader. But my mother-in-law killed the one in the freezer this year. Her weapon/ammo was a '10 Grand Caravan chambered in 3.8L with 87 ammo from BP.
laugh.gif

Last edited:
180 gr. 30.06 for whitetail?? Was there anything left to eat, lol?
39.gif

I used a 178 gr Hornady ELD-X in 30.06 in a Ruger American to take a 5x5 elk this year. Looking at what it did to an elk, a whitetail would be like squashing a bug!

Browning 25-06 for Deer, Remington Core-Loct 100 gr psp
Stevens 12Ga side by side for goose and duck, left barrel is mod choke, right barrel is full, 3" Remington BB for both

Originally Posted By: 28oz
39.gif

I used a 178 gr Hornady ELD-X in 30.06 in a Ruger American to take a 5x5 elk this year. Looking at what it did to an elk, a whitetail would be like squashing a bug!

It’s a non-magnum .30 caliber, not a .50 BMG... yeah, there was plenty. I punched through and though broadside just behind the front shoulders.

It doesn’t do anything to the quarters, straps, neck, and loins. It clots up the ribs cage meat and vitals, but we do not eat the innards and rib pick-ins, we leave that stuff for the coyotes.

Like I said, I typically use 150s, but when I’m hunting on the ground with hogs around, I want something with more punch through power. I have no interest in being gored by a wild pig in consideration for the deer’s well-being while I’m killing it.

Originally Posted By: ATex7239
Originally Posted By: 28oz
39.gif

It’s a non-magnum .30 caliber, not a .50 BMG... yeah, there was plenty. I punched through and though broadside just behind the front shoulders.

It doesn’t do anything to the quarters, straps, neck, and loins. It clots up the ribs cage meat and vitals, but we do not eat the innards and rib pick-ins, we leave that stuff for the coyotes.

Like I said, I typically use 150s, but when I’m hunting on the ground with hogs around, I want something with more punch through power. I have no interest in being gored by a wild pig in consideration for the deer’s well-being while I’m killing it.

No worries at all. Did not intend to come across badly, just trying to throw in a little joking. Congrats on the freezer stuffins'!

Originally Posted By: ATex7239
Finally filled my first two whitetail tags of the seasons this past weekend. Used my trusty ol’ Ruger M77 .30-06 and Remington Core Lokt 180gr...

What do you use to put game on the table? Gun, ammo, or otherwise.

My local meat market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back