Mobil 1 Annual Protection - No Dexos1 gen2 cert?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a jug of Mobil 1 AP 0w20 at a local Walmart tonight.

The jug does not show Dexos1 Gen 2 approval. I thought all Mobil 1 Annual Performance grades were Dexos1 gen2 approved from Day 1.

I have also sent an email to ExxonMobil requesting clarification.

Last edited:
Annual protection has never been Gen 1 approved because it wasn't even produced when Gen 1 was the certification.

The DEXOS license number shows and proves that it's a Gen 2 product: D10108GH015.

All of the Mobil Annual Protection offerings are Gen 2 certified per General Motors and Mobil.

That's the correct answer here. The D in the approval number shows it is Dexos gen 2 approved. I have the exact same deal with my Mobil Super Synthetic 5w30. It has the Dexos approval gen 2 on it. But has the old logo on the front of the container.

And this would be important to the OP for what reason? I own GM vehicles and I don't even care about Dexos rated, even more so regarding Gen 2.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
I bought a jug of Mobil 1 AP 0w20 at a local Walmart tonight.

The jug does not show Dexos1 Gen 2 approval. I thought all Mobil 1 Annual Performance grades were Dexos1 gen2 approved from Day 1.

I have also sent an email to ExxonMobil requesting clarification.

And why did you want to pay a premium price for only 5000 miles more so called protection?
Just curious, I know it's your money.
Your engine will never know the difference.

I just purchased a jug of Valvoline Advanced Synthetic 0w-20 at Wallys. It’s in the new jug with the new labeling but only has the dexos 1st gen logo. The approval number is D10196GL103. So it is gen 2 certified. I wonder why the logo hasn’t been changed? Perhaps because the jugs are used on various grades of which some are not dexos?

I’ll agree with this logic when every brand out there is willing to put mileage on the jug.
I like many run half of what M1 EP states and it’s no big deal …
AP is needing another “Rollback” …

The AP oils have had Gen 2 licenses since the get go, I suspect they couldn't label the initial jugs as such because the spec had not officially gone live yet (although testing for it had been going on for some time). I also suspect that AP jugs are moving so slowly that there is not much opportunity for new jugs with Gen 2 labelling to hit the shelves, assuming XOM has actually made any.
The AP I bought was a decent deal, $40 with a $10 WM gift card that got used fast plus a $12 rebate. I bought it because it was the only 5W30 at WM with a Gen 2 license at the time (LSPI before posters chime in asking why I care about Gen 2).

The other day when I bought my oil I noticed the shelf space allotted to AP was much smaller than before. In fact I would say it was about 1/3rd of the space it had when it debuted. Also there was far more Valvoline AS w MLT than there was VAS. The overall selection is way down from say a year ago.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FowVay
Annual protection has never been Gen 1 approved because it wasn't even produced when Gen 1 was the certification.

The DEXOS license number shows and proves that it's a Gen 2 product: D10108GH015.

All of the Mobil Annual Protection offerings are Gen 2 certified per General Motors and Mobil.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
That's the correct answer here. The D in the approval number shows it is Dexos gen 2 approved. I have the exact same deal with my Mobil Super Synthetic 5w30. It has the Dexos approval gen 2 on it. But has the old logo on the front of the container.

Thanks!

Originally Posted By: Dallas69

Just curious, I know it's your money.
Your engine will never know the difference.

From a pure financial standpoint, AP does not make much sense over EP. But AP does contain the latest additive technology and I am interested in running an extended drain on AP with one of my cars.

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
Please post your results.
I don’t think I have seen any results from anyone using AP yet.

I have a sump full of it in the Honda, it has about 7500 miles on it right now. I plan to sample it at 10,000 and then perhaps 15,000 (I’m planning to run it 20,000 unless something shows up in the samples. It will be over a year old before it hits 20,000. I think “btanchors” is also running it.

Originally Posted By: FowVay

I know exactly what you're saying here and I'm going to be nitpicky anyway, I think anything that passed the Gen 2 testing was also Gen 1 licensed by default since Gen 2 is a superset of Gen 1...Gen 2 is all the Gen 1 tests plus some new tests.
This is why XOM could say dexos1 approved but show a Gen 2 license # on AP before Gen 2 was GM's official standard, by meeting Gen 2 it also met the older spec by default.

BTW, apologies to all in advance because I am not going to get a UOA done on my AP...I'm not planning to run it again (barring a major price drop and a lot more hard data from XOM or the PQIA on its characteristics) given that there are so many other Gen 2 oils to pick from at WM now.

Last edited:
Mobil and GM have a very long history … rest assured the formulations get to Camp Dexos long before they have picked the new plastic bottle …

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back