Is it ok to switch gas stations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought this car and i have no idea what type of gas the previous owner used in it but it takes premium and i always fill at shell but i couldn't find a shell station close by so i filled up with bp premium but now its getting low on gas and i wanna fill up with shell vpower is it ok to mix bp with shell gas as long as its premium? i really wanted the gas to get close to empty so i can fill with shell v power like i always do but its winter and i dont wanna leave the tank low.

What would you do if you were on a trip and had to stop somewhere where there weren’t any Shell stations?

This is the first time in your life you’ve had to confront the possibility of using another brand?

Shell V power has a lot of sulfur ions in it and it can bond with the extra carbon ions in the BP 93 and form sulfuric acid in your gas tank. Which would obviously destroy your gas tank and fuel lines... Goodness gracious what that combo would do to your combustion chamber...

Yeah, sure I'd be worried about gasoline making acid ...

Even though it says premium on the gas cap and maybe in the OM, it might be fine on "regular". It depends on your local gasoline blends (required additives), the ambient temp, the way you drive, and the relative humidity.

If you were at the drags or circle tracks, we'd be either re-jetting or changing the fuel curve (digital) for the local conditions of the moment. But OEM systems are more general and can mostly run any fuel that will go in the tank. Anywhere from 0% to 15% ethanol, etc.

So give it a shot of regular. Say 5 gallons and see what it runs like? If it pings and/or gives you any thing to worry about, top up with premium and you know... If it runs normally, you know you are good on whatever is readily available
smile.gif

My wife's Jag specifically says Premium everywhere. It's been on regular since she bought, well over 100,000 miles. It runs fine for her and never hick-ups at all
laugh.gif

Last edited:
I would run the highest octane gas if it were recommended in the owner's manual. However like Brucluno said there are some vehicles that can run well on regular gas even if they are specd to run higher octane gas.
There is no problem at all mixing those gasoline's together. It will obviously be no problem. And like you stated if it is not to be run for awhile then make sure to fully fill up the tank.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bbhero
Shell V power has a lot of sulfur ions in it and it can bond with the extra carbon ions in the BP 93 and form sulfuric acid in your gas tank. Which would obviously destroy your gas tank and fuel lines... Goodness gracious what that combo would do to your combustion chamber...

Is it true about those sulfur ions? My Mazda has been belching rotten egg smell since I filled with Shell. Maybe I should try Chevron?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
LOL at the questions on BITOG these days.

+1

Like waaaaat????

Go crazy put in regular...lol

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
LOL at the questions on BITOG these days.

+1

Like waaaaat????

Go crazy put in regular...lol

I say put in a collage of all three grades,kind've a gasoline casserole
laugh.gif

FWIW Shell hasn't had ownership interest in any refinery in Illinois since 2003, when the JV Equilon sold the Wood River facility to TOSCO. The Explorer pipeline does run across the state bringing refined products up from the Texas Gulf Coast though.

You must drain the tank immediately, remove and dismantle the engine and fuel system then reassemble after all contaminants have been removed
Then order a tanker full of Shell V-Power delivered to your home, (You may need to construct underground storage for this) so you never have to face such a potential disaster again.

Claud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back