Castrol 5w-20 HM!??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m using it in my Mazda in last 40K miles as a staple oil; how good this oil is, how often would you change it and what would be your alternative please

I Thank You

The oil is good. You really cant go wrong with any of the well known oils today if your using the correct viscosity and type called for by your vehicles manufacture.
I'd change the oil every 6K miles if you drive both city and highway in the Mazda. I wouldn't be afraid to use Valvoline, Kendall, Supertech, Quaker State and so on and so forth. I'd probably use Valvoline Maxlife myself as it is a proven high mileage oil.

It's a good quality oil and I'd run it 5k miles. Probably a waste of money dumping at any mileage less than that.

But Castrol Magnatec is on sale at Walmart for $17.88 right now and is a full synthetic. I'd probably lean towards that for a few bucks more.

I have a few gallons of it I plan to use in my brother in laws '04 F150. It will be changed every 6 months or so (3000-5000 miles). It sees lots of short trips though.
While it is not marketed as a syn-blend, seems I say somewhere it basically could be called one.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
The oil is good. You really cant go wrong with any of the well known oils today if your using the correct viscosity and type called for by your vehicles manufacture.
I'd change the oil every 6K miles if you drive both city and highway in the Mazda. I wouldn't be afraid to use Valvoline, Kendall, Supertech, Quaker State and so on and so forth. I'd probably use Valvoline Maxlife myself as it is a proven high mileage oil.

Agreed. I personally like using Valvoline Maxlife full synthetic and change every 6k miles or 6 months (Oct & April). I also change the oil filter every time. I also like using Castrol Magnatec even though it's not a HM oil. Both Oil have the engines running very smooth and quiet. I'm willing to use Castrol Edge HM when it gets to $20 or less per jug.

Originally Posted By: Charlie2015
Every 3000 miles, but I only do city driving.

If anybody is doing that, the cheapest SN oil you can find on sale rather than a HM oil would probably be a better bet.

Thanks for Y’all input;

I asked this question because I replaced the valve cover gasket about 3 years ago and now it started to leak again on this oil; Ill replace it again but I’m trying to figure underlining cause for this; maybe different HM oil would help or other brand is better for my case; I tend to replace oil at 3k too due to pvc valve (never been replaced; also I don’t know it it functioning or not)and I understand fresh oil in the engine will keep it in working order longer and of course due to cheap price of oil to begin with

Also if anyone knows difference between Castrol HM vs GTX because the price is the same at Walmart; I may think I get a better deal with HM than with GTX

Again I thank you all for your constructive input!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
Have you tried retorquing the valve cover bolts? Worth a try

I may try do that too; honestly, I never bother doing it originally because just the replacement was enough to stop the leak; I bought another gasket meanwhile as well as pcv valve which is a 2 day work to replace as you may know on this car; I’m afraid if I replace the valve it is going to be in a perfect condition so Id spent 2 wrenching days for nothing
09.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back