Civic vs a Toyota

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have always had a Honda vehicle mostly, accord/civic or a Mercedes.

Currently have 7th and 8th Gen Civics. Not actively looking, but was toying an idea to maybe try a Toyota Corolla?

Not trying to compare Coke vs Pepsi
grin.gif

Does anyone has any thoughts in terms of Comparison of certain years of Corolla which are better than others and if anyone switched from Honda to Toyota, how it fell? Since, both are entry level commuter cars, basically. Also, would rather look for anything post 2006, so precisely anything which is less than 10 years old.

Thanks for any input and advice.
thumbsup2.gif

The Civic is a bit more exciting and "fun" on the inside and out. The Corolla is kinda bland but very nice and "classier" and staid on the inside. Corolla is probably a little more reliable.

I wouldn't call them entry level cars. Honda has the Fit and Toyota has the Yaris.

About a week ago someone posted that they were upset with the stiff bumpy ride of the Corolla, and someone else posted that the model was probably the SE version that has a stiffer suspension. So, if you live in an area with questionable roads, or have a bad back, you might want to avoid the SE model.

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
About a week ago someone posted that they were upset with the stiff bumpy ride of the Corolla, and someone else posted that the model was probably the SE version that has a stiffer suspension. So, if you live in an area with questionable roads, or have a bad back, you might want to avoid the SE model.

That was a Camry SE with bumpy ride complaint.

Toyota did an excellent job redesigning the Corolla, Civic non turbo is a good car, but very ugly and bland on the outside, interior very nice.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
The Civic is a bit more exciting and "fun" on the inside and out. The Corolla is kinda bland but very nice and "classier" and staid on the inside. Corolla is probably a little more reliable.

I wouldn't call them entry level cars. Honda has the Fit and Toyota has the Yaris.

I definitely agree with the fun part on Civic!!!

BTW, in terms of MPG and reliability how's Yaris or Fit?

The Civic is about a half step above the Corolla in price and in performance and handling.
The Civic does have a nicer interior.
As a long time Honda owner, I have to say that the Corolla might be the more durable car.
Flip a coin.

The 2012 and prior Corollas have a crummy non independent rear suspension while the Civic has used an independent rear suspension since 1988.
I rented a current gen Corolla when my car was in the body shop in October. It was a decent car. I could live with it if it had a stick. Find one with a stick
and test drive it. Toyota vs Honda reliability in the small car segment? Both make reliable small cars.

Realistically, the best used small economy car that is fun to drive is the Mazda3. The previous gen is made in Japan and nearly as reliable minus the Skyactiv automatic transmission. You'll pay less that will make up any small repair which probably will never happen, plus you'll get disc brakes, a much, much better suspension and driving experience.

But i'd definitively test drive a 2013 up Corolla as prior years are a downgrade in handling to any Civic made since I was in middle school.

I've always heard that if you want an appliance that moves people and don't mind not having leading-edge technology and styling but value reliability you get a Toyota. Sayings are not always true but this one is close.

I've had a Civic for 33 years (1984), a V8 4Runner for 14 years (2003) and just purchased an 06 xB. Used cars are more a pick 'em deal because current condition means a lot. The "box" is the only one in this group purchased used and soon we'll see how well it does.

Today the right used Toyota or Honda can be a ripping good deal. It's up to you and the phase of the moon and some pixie dust and most of all a long hard search and a critical eye. When it comes to that handshake you've got to be all-in.

If you're looking at the most recent iterations of the two, my advice would be to go with the Corolla. You don't get the same sporty feel as you do with the Civic, which is a plus for the Civic, but in my experience the Corolla is a bit more reliable. Nothing wrong with either car, but if I were in the market again between those two, my choice would be the Corolla.

Originally Posted By: Leo99

The interior setup of the new corolla is horrid.

Radio controls are dangerous - the only ones Ive found to be worse were on the high end sienna. . Four different shades/fonts of blue LED. An ugly vertical panel on the passenger dash. Uncomfortable seats.

The old ones were unrxciting appliances that were like loveseats on wheels. The new ones are better in many ways, but they tried too hard to look fancy when it's an econobox.

But Honda is doing good at uglying up the civic too.

If you're tall the Civic isn't a very good choice. I sat in one at the dealership and with the seat all the way down, all the way back, and reclined a bit, the top of my head still poked through the sunroof. My aunt was with me and she said my hair was slightly above the roofline. I'm only 6'2"!

Look at the Elantras too.

Mid 90s Corolla / Integra owner here.

What I notice is the cooling system on the Honda tends to run higher pressure (i.e. 18psi vs 16psi), and it may be a potential reliability issue down the road near the end of life.

The rest of the system is about the same reliability wise, ignition coil last about the same, transmissions both reliable, fuel delivery, power steering pump, suspension, etc about the same. Things may have changed since mid 90s though so you probably need to see what you are comfortable and not comfortable with risk wise.

I'd pick the one with non turbo non direct injection non CVT, then interior quality.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
If you're tall the Civic isn't a very good choice. I sat in one at the dealership and with the seat all the way down, all the way back, and reclined a bit, the top of my head still poked through the sunroof. My aunt was with me and she said my hair was slightly above the roofline. I'm only 6'2"!

Look at the Elantras too.

I am definitely lucky in that aspect for all of these small cars; neither tall and nor short
smile.gif

Have heard Elantras can have transmission issues, not sure how true they are though?

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Mid 90s Corolla / Integra owner here.

What I notice is the cooling system on the Honda tends to run higher pressure (i.e. 18psi vs 16psi), and it may be a potential reliability issue down the road near the end of life.

The rest of the system is about the same reliability wise, ignition coil last about the same, transmissions both reliable, fuel delivery, power steering pump, suspension, etc about the same. Things may have changed since mid 90s though so you probably need to see what you are comfortable and not comfortable with risk wise.

I'd pick the one with non turbo non direct injection non CVT, then interior quality.

Well said, I have had a mid 90's Accord and definitely, cooling system was a pain and caused a lot of headache in terms of HG!

Provided, it was after 200k. Lol

But I have seen Camry and Accords with well over 400K miles.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear

Any suggestions or input in terms of a particular model year of Corolla?

Originally Posted By: maverickfhs
...BTW, in terms of MPG and reliability how's Yaris or Fit?

If you don't mind me asking, what are you looking for?
what/where/how quick you usually drive?
you want sporty/mpg/reliable?
how many people usually in your car?
any extra luggage? equipment? projects?
stick-shift/automatic?
expected time of ownership? or mileage?

Originally Posted By: pandus13
Originally Posted By: maverickfhs
...BTW, in terms of MPG and reliability how's Yaris or Fit?

If you don't mind me asking, what are you looking for?
what/where/how quick you usually drive?
you want sporty/mpg/reliable?
how many people usually in your car?
any extra luggage? equipment? projects?
stick-shift/automatic?
expected time of ownership? or mileage?

Absolutely, I don't commute everyday so car won't be driven every single day.

I usually drive once a week on a highway for at least 1hr, as well as occasional short trips during the week too.

Honestly, reliability and mpg, both are key. Sporty, not really my thing since I have sport bikes - a lot cheaper to own/maintain
smile.gif

Usually 2, but rarely 4 people and usually no luggage/equipment or projects. At times, when I have, have another vehicle to take care of it.

Planning to keep it for at least 4-5 years. Manual or AT, not really a preference. I am rather happy with my current Civics, but never hurt to explore
smile.gif

Thanks again

The 2003-2008 generation Corollas are very reliable along with their engine and transmission. So I would sway towards the later years of that generation, 07-08 since they are newer. Good, solid Aisin 4 speed auto that's very durable. Just basic preventative maintenance. Avoid the 09 since that's the first year of the new gen. But later years are very reliable. Also avoid the 2.4 engine since those had issues as well. I think with the head bolts.

I used to be more of a Honda guy but now like Toyota better for the reliability. The current CR recommends the Corolla which comes in first place followed by the Kia Forte. The Civic comes in at the middle of the pack and isn't on their recommended list any longer. Not even the basic NA 2.0 engine.

Also check out www.carcomplaints.com for more info.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back