Snow tires in warm weather

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will be having new Michelin XI2s installed on our Grand Caravan this weekend. We will be leaving to Ark/Louisiana for the week of Christmas. I don't know what the weather will be like in NW Ark, but I am sure that Cajun Country will be warm, in spite of their recent snow storm. That being said, a little over half of the trip will be in warm weather (3000-3200 miles round trip). How much do I need to worry about tread wear on the new snow shoes while driving in warmer enviorns? I had read that one of the great things about the XI2s was good wear in all conditions.

Nebraska and Kansas can be pretty nasty in the wintertime; I'd leave them on and not sweat the 500-1000 miles you might put on the snow tires in warmer climes.

Safe travels.

You never know when it's going to be cold in warmer climes. I would bump the pressure up a bit to keep the tire cooler. They won't wear much unless you're having too much fun in the twists.

I ran Latitude X-Ice's on an old truck in warmer weather to wear them out. When it came time to change them, there was fine rubber powder inside the tire, maybe a teaspoon per. This usually happens when a tire is run low and the rubber starts coming apart.

I believe that you'll be fine running your winter tires throughout your trip. I have friends that run winter tires all year and this is all they buy.

Well they'll be fine driving in warmer weather, but I think your question was how long they'd last. Snow tires are typically made of a softer compound so that they have better grip in the cold weather, but the flip side is that they will tend to wear more in hotter weather. I've heard of people driving in snow tires in regular weather and they wore out in no time.

The Xice2s (which I also have) are perfect for warmer weather. They have good dry handling and do much better in warmer weather than blizzaks, for example. They do best under 45 degrees. You will be fine to leave them on. The xices have a 40k mile warranty, and do indeed last.

I've been running Michelin X-Ice Xi3s in 60+ degree weather for a month now in Colorado. Winter is no where to be found; we had one little snowy icy spurt and that's it.

With that being said, they are squirmier in warmer weather. Everyone says they're one of the, if not the best "snow" tire that can handle dry warmer weather. I agree about bumping the pressure up. I have mine set so they're about 33 psi cold on a 60 degree day; they'll be about 30 psi on a 30 degree day which is optimal IMO.

I know the minute I swap out the snows, we'll get a blizzard... I played that game last year.

We will only be south for a week. There is a good chance that Arkansas will be cooler. I don't plan on doing a lot of driving while in Louisiana. Primarily to in-laws house. Then back to Arkansas for a couple of days. Then back home to South Dakota.

Wouldn't sweat it. There will be a little more wear than in the colder climates and snow but nothing to loose sleep over.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
I've been running Michelin X-Ice Xi3s in 60+ degree weather for a month now in Colorado. Winter is no where to be found; we had one little snowy icy spurt and that's it.

With that being said, they are squirmier in warmer weather. Everyone says they're one of the, if not the best "snow" tire that can handle dry warmer weather. I agree about bumping the pressure up. I have mine set so they're about 33 psi cold on a 60 degree day; they'll be about 30 psi on a 30 degree day which is optimal IMO.

I know the minute I swap out the snows, we'll get a blizzard... I played that game last year.

Because they are more of an all-season than a full on winter tire.

Michelin X-ice Xi3 is full blown winter tire with poor slushplanning and wet performance traded for better ice and snow.

Krzys

Originally Posted By: krzyss
Michelin X-ice Xi3 is full blown winter tire with poor slushplanning and wet performance traded for better ice and snow.

Krzys

They really aren't. I have driven on nearly every winter tire you can imagine, and the Mich X-Ice is near the bottom of the list when it comes to snow/ice traction. Our dealership has refused to sell them anymore, and we are a Michelin national dealer. Our all-season tires are almost exclusively Michelin.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: otis24
.... There is a good chance that Arkansas will be cooler. ...

Persimmons are showing spoons, so the snows could come in handy.

However, we've been oscillating between cool and mild at couple of days intervals - couple of days of upper 60's/low 70's, then a few days of mid upper 30's, low 40's. We've had a few freezing nights, but usually 40 ish. Typical December so far. We have winter in January, February, and early March. N W Ark can get a lot colder than you would think in those months.

Yeah, Arkansas has a better cold so 20's there can feel just as brutal as 0 degrees in the Dakota's. I grew up in Mulberry, just east of Ft. Smith. I can tell you, I DO NOT miss driving on ice. I can handle snow pack with good snow tires!

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech

Krzys

They really aren't. I have driven on nearly every winter tire you can imagine, and the Mich X-Ice is near the bottom of the list when it comes to snow/ice traction. Our dealership has refused to sell them anymore, and we are a Michelin national dealer. Our all-season tires are almost exclusively Michelin.

So what winter tires do you sell?

Krzys

Originally Posted By: mightymousetech

Krzys

So what winter tires do you sell?

Krzys

We sell mainly Toyo GSI-5, G3-Ice and BFG Winter Slalom KSI. Those who know, use Hakka R2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back