Need help with cold start noise - cause to worry?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey

So when it colder outside my car when I start it will do this knock/tick noise and go away after a few seconds. Here is a video showing off perfectly where you can clearly hear it. You also hear some kind of pulley or belt noise after, maybe it's related? But if I recall correctly the noise your hear after wasn't there before. Thanks! Car is a 2006 Hyundai Tucson with 180k KM (123K Miles). I checked the engine oil and it was replaced about a 2 month ago.

https://youtu.be/i68yMZhA1jc

Last edited:
All the cars ive had lately sound like they are going to fall apart when cold started. Wifes Subaru, My rogue whatever. Funny the Subaru was pretty quiet with factory fill and factory filter, Not so with Idemitsu and the Framaroo Blue OE service filter. It quiets when warm. The Idemitsu seems t hold up well hot.

its stops within seconds !!
i don't think its anything to worry about, as asked before what weight of oil and filter are you using.

My 2010 Ford Ranger 2.3 had a very loud tick for 45'ish seconds, sounded like forever, with Motorcraft FL-910S oil filter and Castrol Magnatec 5W20. I changed to a FRAM 3600 with same oil. Zero start up tick. From reading on here most of start up noises are 99.9% oil filter related.

My 04 sonata has had a tick like that for 200000 miles with the filter on the bottom of the motor just above the oil pan mounted horizontally your going to have some oil draing back i have run it with bosch or wix filters and qsgb or citgo supergard 5w30 since new

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
What filter and oil brand/grade are you using.

Oil is 5w-20. Filter and oil brand don't know, Midas did the oil change, car was just given to me after that.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
All the cars ive had lately sound like they are going to fall apart when cold started. Wifes Subaru, My rogue whatever. Funny the Subaru was pretty quiet with factory fill and factory filter, Not so with Idemitsu and the Framaroo Blue OE service filter. It quiets when warm. The Idemitsu seems t hold up well hot.

I was told there may be a bulletin about non OEM filter doing this. You guys think it's this? I preferably won't be rehanging my oil and filter until next year so.

It shouldn't do any damage or anything?

Last edited:
My daughter reported having a hard time cold starting her car after my wife took it to Midas (against my will) for an oil change...I checked that the oil level was OK and then noticed that the oil filter was a very small brand X. I took it off (top mount is nice) and found that it didn't have an ADBV, then put on a spare filter I had around that was a Mazda branded Tokyo Roki that is apparently identical to Subaru's factory filter on the cars built in Japan.

Nary a starting complaint since...I certainly don't have proof, but I suspect the cheap filter was the issue.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
My daughter reported having a hard time cold starting her car after my wife took it to Midas (against my will) for an oil change...I checked that the oil level was OK and then noticed that the oil filter was a very small brand X. I took it off (top mount is nice) and found that it didn't have an ADBV, then put on a spare filter I had around that was a Mazda branded Tokyo Roki that is apparently identical to Subaru's factory filter on the cars built in Japan.

Nary a starting complaint since...I certainly don't have proof, but I suspect the cheap filter was the issue.

[censored] uh, I figured it wouldn't be optimal to go someplace like that. I'll keep it this way for now, might do an oil change after winter and change that filter, it's under the car horizontally... anyhow I might buy myself a car when summer comes so I'll see.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TheMidnightNarwh
Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi

[censored] uh, I figured it wouldn't be optimal to go someplace like that. I'll keep it this way for now, might do an oil change after winter and change that filter, it's under the car horizontally... anyhow I might buy myself a car when summer comes so I'll see.

Mounted horizontally, probably oil draining out of filter...JMHO but i'd change out the filter ,knowing that filter might be defective or no anti drain valve...

The next time you change the oil use a Hyundai/Kia 26300-35503 or 26300-35504, or a Mann W811/80 (Mann's after market version of the 26300-35504) filter.

Mine did it last winter and spring, then went away now its back to once in a while since October. It lasts a few secs to about 1 or 2 mins when it does happen which is once in a while. I went from napa silver, to gold to a baldwin but nothing changed. I run 30 or 20w full syn oil.

I hope you plan not to bring it to Midas going forth. Friend of mine took his car in a couple months ago and it fell off their lift resulting in alot of damage. They paid for it and took ownership but that is downright scary to hear and it wasnt the first time this tech made that mistake!! Imagine...scary.

Regarding the noise, I wouldnt be too concerned, just check filter and oil level to make sure its ok...

My Santa Fe did that exact noise it's whole life in the cold and it made it to 535,000km. It's just lifters bleeding down after shut-down. A lot of engines do it.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
Regarding the noise, I wouldnt be too concerned, just check filter and oil level to make sure its ok...

It sure doesn't sound horrible and the noise goes away quickly. But going forward I'd go with the oem filter which will probably alleviate the noise.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
My Santa Fe did that exact noise it's whole life in the cold and it made it to 535,000km. It's just lifters bleeding down after shut-down. A lot of engines do it.

Was that with the oem filter or another brand?

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: StevieC

Was that with the oem filter or another brand?

I tried Hyundai Filters, Wix, Fram, and the only one that seemed to make it better but not cure it was the Amsoil EAO filter so I used that its whole life. Originally with M1 oil then Amsoil. It never got worse and it never looked bad on UOA's.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back