Old FRAM on Shelf in Ace Hardware?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was at a christmas fundraising event and I was browsing through aisles and noticed an auto section. Naturally, mostly because of you guys, I figured I'd take a minute to see what they stocked out of idle curiosity. I didn't realize Ace had a house brand of oil - they do - and some mixed Pennzoil standard and synthetic options. Some Quaker State. And on the top shelf, a line of FRAM oil filters. But one stood out compared to the others.....I took a picture for, well, you guys.

The one on the right of it didn't look like a spring chicken either. Not judging, just noticed the logos were different, if not appearing older.

First time in my life I saw or experienced something that made me think "huh, the Bob forum dudes may get a kick out of this."

It was dated 1991 on the back.

Last edited:
It's nice to know that I'm not the only one that does that sort of thing. Now if you were a real trooper, you'd buy all three in that picture and cut them open to compare build quality through the years.

JK of course, but that's a neat find.

And
welcome2.gif

They obviously don't check their inventory and sell off the old stuff. You should point it out and buy it for cheap and cut it open to see what it looks like.

Oh I have no intention of buying. Just thought it was interesting.

Originally Posted By: JC1
They obviously don't check their inventory and sell off the old stuff. You should point it out and buy it for cheap and cut it open to see what it looks like.

I was tempted to do THAT though.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: fenixguy
And
welcome2.gif

Thank you!

Last edited:
Thanks for the post & pic. Reminds me of the days when a O/FCI meant getting cardboard cans of SAE 30 and a filter with a clear plastic wi dow from Dad's stash in the garage growing up.

Definitely before the days of Sure Grip coating, did you look to see if the case was smooth or had flutes at the dome end on that filter and the one beside it showing Allied Signal?

Originally Posted By: Nyogtha
Thanks for the post & pic. Reminds me of the days when a O/FCI meant getting cardboard cans of SAE 30 and a filter with a clear plastic wi dow from Dad's stash in the garage growing up.

Definitely before the days of Sure Grip coating, did you look to see if the case was smooth or had flutes at the dome end on that filter and the one beside it showing Allied Signal?

Cool memory.
smile.gif

Neither had suregrip coating. Smooth dome.

Last edited:
I cut open a PH8A from this era (actually slightly older) that had sat in my unheated/non-A/C garage for 20 years-it looked surprisingly good, could probably have been used.

I've used a couple 20 year old Sears Spectrum filters my neighbor gave me. What's the worst that could have happened?

Our Walmart has an allied signal Fram in the clearance section, There was no price on it and I didnt want to be bothered to try to get one otherwise I would have got it.

I would see if they would reduce the PH25 and put it in my old stuff collection.Those were from the days when nobody questioned the quality of a Fram filter.

Last edited:
Wasn't the paint a lot like the Fram racing filters? Nice and glossy. I barely remember them when I was a kid being a very deep orange. I always wondered why they were taken off, but didn't understand a new one went on either. Good memories.

I realize they are just oil filters, but Fram uses a much more utilitarian looking paint nowadays. It protects the can for however long it was designed to be used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back