swapping snows

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was on my short list to swap to snows on my Forester. But I slid into snow bank with Crosstrek and ripped up the rear bumper. So wife is now eager to get the snows swapped on Forester since its snowing.

She brings it to Midas, they do the swap and balance for $30. But say the rear brakes need replacing and show her how rusty they are. $350. The vehicle inspection report has green check marks for everything however. She called and I said hold off, I smell a rip off. Vehicle has 50K miles.

Not sure what they were going to do for $350? She did not get a printed estimate. $350 should have paid for pads, rotors and calipers. I doubt at 50K miles it needed calipers. They would not have installed Akebono pads. Glad I was able to have Midas hold off on the work.

They probably replace calipers since it makes the job easier and it reduces the chance they seize up...plus it adds $/R.O.

I have installed loaded calipers on previous brake jobs just due to corrosion in WI. I didn't have to pay much markup or any labor though.

Being a 2015, I would check the pads. Some of these newer awd systems use the brakes. I’ve heard of a number of newer awd vehicles from that past few years needing brakes early.

the local Midas lady, got my SIL to change her brakes...
I just changed 1 year before, (pads+rotors + clean and grease everything). I don't think she drove more than 10k miles...

Well,.... her money!

Do you have snow tires for both or does she just switch to your Forester with snow tires in the winter ?

My parents Escape went through rear pads and rotors 4 times in 60K miles. First 2 times it was warrantied, at least.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Being a 2015, I would check the pads. Some of these newer awd systems use the brakes. I’ve heard of a number of newer awd vehicles from that past few years needing brakes early.

This was my thought. Especially if its driven in snow often. My truck has both traction control, and a brake based limited slip. In snow it keeps the rear in good shape, but if you really work the system its using the brakes to keep things in line.

From what i've heard of most places, $350 sounds about right for pads, rotors, and labor for one axle. Its pretty high of course, but thats what places charge.

I had my Forester in for state inspection the middle of last month and was shocked to be failed for all 4 brakes, I had about 74kmiles and thought they had been done at 60k. I was worried about being scammed and decided to check my documentation before doing anything.
The brakes had never been worked on, I was totally amazed to get that many miles out of OEM brakes...I guess quite a bit of my driving is highway and that probably helped keep wear down. The brakes were inspected at 60kmiles and the rears were nearly as thin as the fronts.

The inspecting shop said they would do the pads and rotors for about $600, called a Subaru dealer and they said it would be $900 there. Midas told me $700 for their "preferred package" (mid line) although they said we would review all the pricing options once I came in and they had a chance to look at the car.
Ended up going back to the first shop and they charged me $640, guess I knew "about $600" meant >$600 but my brakes have felt really great ever since. Felt kind of pressured due to the inspection process, if I had more time AND it had been a little warmer I probably would have tried doing the brakes myself...did it once on my '76 Nova years ago, but a coworker who knew cars "helped" me and actually did almost all of the job. I basically did lugs and rolled the tires around...

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Do you have snow tires for both or does she just switch to your Forester with snow tires in the winter ?

My parents Escape went through rear pads and rotors 4 times in 60K miles. First 2 times it was warrantied, at least.

With a daughter moving to NYC, we are down to needing only 2 cars. The pickup has mud & snow and the Forester has snows.

Crosstrek has all season.

I was a Honda dealer and am now a semi mech at UPS. I know someone that once worked at Midas.One in Columbus, OH. He was threatened he'd lose his job for being honest on a particular customers car, so he quit.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
I was a Honda dealer and am now a semi mech at UPS. I know someone that once worked at Midas.One in Columbus, OH. He was threatened he'd lose his job for being honest on a particular customers car, so he quit.

My most seen trick is the miscalibrated caliper(measuring tool not brake caliper)..

They take a caliper and fudge it until it shows min thickness for rotors when they are still plenty beefy.

Place tried that on my stepmom told her she couldnt leave it was a safety issue and her brakes needed fixed asap (Dealer in akron)

Funny how measuring them with another caliper showed they were fine. Bunch of scammer trash.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
I had my Forester in for state inspection the middle of last month and was shocked to be failed for all 4 brakes, I had about 74kmiles and thought they had been done at 60k. I was worried about being scammed and decided to check my documentation before doing anything.
The brakes had never been worked on, I was totally amazed to get that many miles out of OEM brakes...I guess quite a bit of my driving is highway and that probably helped keep wear down. The brakes were inspected at 60kmiles and the rears were nearly as thin as the fronts.

The inspecting shop said they would do the pads and rotors for about $600, called a Subaru dealer and they said it would be $900 there. Midas told me $700 for their "preferred package" (mid line) although they said we would review all the pricing options once I came in and they had a chance to look at the car.
Ended up going back to the first shop and they charged me $640, guess I knew "about $600" meant >$600 but my brakes have felt really great ever since. Felt kind of pressured due to the inspection process, if I had more time AND it had been a little warmer I probably would have tried doing the brakes myself...did it once on my '76 Nova years ago, but a coworker who knew cars "helped" me and actually did almost all of the job. I basically did lugs and rolled the tires around...

We bought a 1992 Mitsubishi Expo LRV brand new and put almost 130k on the original brakes. When it did come time to change them I joked with the tech who did the work that they don’t make brakes like they used to. When he asked when was the last time I had them changed I replied “never, these are the factory brakes”. Afterwards I was “ the guy who doesn’t use his brakes”.

It’s different now. I read in other places of brake pads lasting 25-30k only. Some of these torque-vectoring systems use the brakes in their operation. I expect I won’t get nearly the miles I want from our Mazda brakes even though it uses G vectoring which does not use the brakes.

some vehicles use pretty small rear pad setups + am i glad i am a DIY guy!!!!!

Originally Posted By: benjy
some vehicles use pretty small rear pad setups + am i glad i am a DIY guy!!!!!

I am also, but its snowing out. Garage is not clear yet of summer OPE stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back