Napa/Felpro valve cover gasket = junk?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bought one for my Corolla as the one in the car was leaking pretty bad. The Napa Felpro unit was a little too short around the cam sprocket and distributor; it just didn't fit in the groove all the way, but Napa already closed, so I went ahead and installed it hoping it will seat correctly when tightened. Plus the book says to use a dab of RTV in the corners where the cam/distributor come out the head as they are 90 degree corners.

It seems EVERYTHING I buy automotive nowadays is absolute JUNK, even OEM stuff. I though Felpro was still decent...

I remember hearing about Felpro having issues with certain Corolla gaskets.

Fel-Pro gaskets have been questionable for me as far as longevity is concerned. I've had excellent luck with Victor/Reinz gaskets. Unfortunately Victor/Reinz gaskets are a little tough to obtain and are now Mahle.

Originally Posted By: Kool1
Fel-Pro gaskets have been questionable for me as far as longevity is concerned. I've had excellent luck with Victor/Reinz gaskets. Unfortunately Victor/Reinz gaskets are a little tough to obtain and are now Mahle.

Get them on EBay. They have everything. Might be a little old but you should not have issue finding the other brands there.

I was pretty disappointed in Fel-Pro when I was replacing the water pump on my car. Their gasket was a cheap cardboard gasket that fell apart after torquing the bolts. I went to the dealer and bought an OEM metal gasket for $4 more.

Rock Auto still has Mahle/Reinz gaskets
smile.gif

Get the Mahle/Victor Reinz, Beck/Arnley, or Magnum

Originally Posted By: boom10ful
I was pretty disappointed in Fel-Pro when I was replacing the water pump on my car. Their gasket was a cheap cardboard gasket that fell apart after torquing the bolts. I went to the dealer and bought an OEM metal gasket for $4 more.

Something that important you have to use metal gasket.

I have a Fel-pro valve cover gasket and tube seals on my f23a accord. No leaks. I had OE Hondabond RTV gasket maker for the pan gasket that leaked at the dip on the transmission side. I replaced it with an after-market fel pro gasket and no more leaks.

Sometimes, it is all about application.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Bought one for my Corolla as the one in the car was leaking pretty bad. The Napa Felpro unit was a little too short around the cam sprocket and distributor; it just didn't fit in the groove all the way, but Napa already closed, so I went ahead and installed it hoping it will seat correctly when tightened. Plus the book says to use a dab of RTV in the corners where the cam/distributor come out the head as they are 90 degree corners.

It seems EVERYTHING I buy automotive nowadays is absolute JUNK, even OEM stuff. I though Felpro was still decent...

Get a horse... Problem solved.

Fel-Pro can be hit or miss on Japanese cars, I insist on OEM gaskets for valve covers. On the flipside, I've installed a Fel-Pro valve cover gasket set on a Nissan Quest and it worked fine. I'm using Fel-Pro's plenum gaskets on my parent's current van and they fit and installed fine despite being made in China.

I ordered a Beck Arnley; from the pics, it looks OEM, maybe Aisin. Hopefully it works...

Car is acting like it has a vacuum leak; rough idle etc. I knew I shouldn't have put that [censored] on my car.
mad.gif

Last edited:
I used Felpro about 3 years back for the valve cover; after 3 years needs to be replaced; [censored] quality

I think it is purely application specific. On a SBF the Fel-Pro one piece oil pan gasket is the bees knees. However for a head gasket Cometic MLS only.

I share the same sentiment. Used a Fel-Pro valve cover gasket on an 2003 Matrix with the 1.8. Even dabbed silicon on the spots where the service manual indicated to help. Still leaked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back