:::You've Got To Buy A Fleet Of Trucks: Which One?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NDL

I always glean things from this forum, and for that I am thankful. Today's hypothetical scenario:

You're a small business owner, with an auto parts store. You need to buy a fleet of five full size trucks to deliver auto parts.

The trucks must be full size; six cylinder only; low cost up front; cheap to maintain, and they need to last, because you plan on keeping them until they die.

Which to you buy? Ram (Dodge), Ford, or Chevy?

My first question would be why do they have to be full size trucks?

Virtually every parts store uses compact trucks for a reason.

After that, Ford or GM. We've used both in work trim versions for many years with few major issues on trucks that get beat on in field use (construction observation and road maintenance).

Originally Posted By: MNgopher

After that, Ford or GM. We've used both in work trim versions for many years with few major issues on trucks that get beat on in field use (construction observation and road maintenance).

I agree about using compact trucks for this hypothetical question.

Originally Posted By: Olas
Ford Transit.

+1

The vans will keep the parts dry if you have to transport a few boxes or some parts that won't fit in the cab.

Originally Posted By: MNgopher

Not only that, I've seen a few parts stores just drive regular compact cars, not even trucks. I don't think there are too many parts that require a truck, not like people are buying engines or transmissions from an auto parts store. Mostly smaller stuff that easily fits in a car.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Ford Transit.

+1

The vans will keep the parts dry if you have to transport a few boxes or some parts that won't fit in the cab.

+2

People who have these vans really love them. Good, reliable, cheap to fix, good on fuel.

They're very capable vehicles. If you can't fit it in the back of an appropriately sized Transit I don't see it going into a Pickup.

If you need v6 work trucks, Ill vouch for Ford F-150 trucks doing severe service. Ive seen them after being retired still being used by subsequent owners in the same severe terrain and use. Anything statesides should be easy...

Neither. Unless you're hauling around bulky things like exhaust pipes, sheet metal, bumpers or things that need to be kept in a rack like glass a full-size truck is probably the worst thing you can do to your books, you'll be burning more gas.

I'd pick the Ford Transit Connect or Nissan NV200. You might not have your all your drivers deliver big things. But they are nimble, compact, enclosed, good on gas and decently cheap to operate.

Originally Posted By: nthach
You might not have your all your drivers deliver big things. But they are nimble, compact, enclosed, good on gas and decently cheap to operate.

This is key. Maybe if each store needed two vehicles, you could have one compact fuel efficient car and one Ford Transit van for the bulky items.

If Chevy is still putting the 4.3 in their Silverado I would go with that. Solid work truck and would suit your purpose. That or a transit connect as mentioned.

Why do they all have to be the same? You probably will be better off with 1 full size and a couple compact, then maybe some vans thrown in or even a couple Prius V (40mpg).

I used to deliver for an auto parts store. 99% of deliveries were for small things like a set of brake pads and an air filter. Occasionally we'd have some bigger items like a steering rack, exhaust pipe, or a few 5 gallon buckets of oil. A sub-compact car is plenty for most deliveries. A small van like a Transit Connect can easily handle anything else. My store had a few old Dodge Caravans with all of the back seats removed. Those were excellent for carrying lots of bulky parts. A new Transit Connect or similar van would be equally suitable with a touch more professionalism.

Originally Posted By: redhat
Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Ford Transit.

+1

+2

People who have these vans really love them. Good, reliable, cheap to fix, good on fuel.

They're very capable vehicles. If you can't fit it in the back of an appropriately sized Transit I don't see it going into a Pickup.

+3

We added 10 transits to our fleet in early 2016 and they are averaging about .08¢ a mile in repair costs, which is really good for us. The Impalas that they replaced averaged .22¢ a mile. THe transits would serve you very well!

GM dealers always win our bidding process for cars, vans, and pickups. But we are pretty much just shopping for the lowest price.
I don't know how the newer chevy 4.3l is for mileage but the old one is pretty bad...
For autoparts around here I see mostly compact hatchbacks doing deliveries, but I suppose they must have something bigger for some parts.

Originally Posted By: InhalingBullets
We added 10 transits to our fleet in early 2016 and they are averaging about .08¢ a mile in repair costs, which is really good for us. The Impalas that they replaced averaged .22¢ a mile. THe transits would serve you very well!

Are you talking about Transits, or Transit Connects? They're two entirely different models. A Transit is too big for an auto parts store. A Transit Connect is just right.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
Originally Posted By: InhalingBullets

Are you talking about Transits, or Transit Connects? They're two entirely different models. A Transit is too big for an auto parts store. A Transit Connect is just right.
Sorry you are correct....Transit Connects.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back