Firestone Winterforce 2 in 215/60R16, just put on

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've been getting a bit of snow here in WNY/Buffalo as of late.

On my Accord.

I had already switched over to my winter set of wheels and was running an about half good set of 2011 Cooper Weather Master S/T 2. Last year, I had bought these tires used with about 9-11/32 for $200. It appears as if the dry/highway running had really taken a lot of tread off of these as this year, before the switch over, we are at a solid 6/32 for all four.

Sunday we had a fair amount of frigid precipitation. I had to do a considerable amount of rocking back and forth to get out of where my car was parked. Besides that, I could easily break the tires loose, easily spin in rain (with a heavier than normal foot) and was feeling generally uneasy about the condition of these tires. Also, under closer inspection, I think a lot of the tire's siping is gone... I see myself looking mainly at solid tread blocks.

With that said, as of yesterday I wanted a new set. I knew that tomorrow (today) we were expected to receive more snow and wanted to avoid a potentially bad situation. I looked around and wanted something local and that day. I ended up deciding upon the Firestone Winterforce 2. They have a re-designed treat pattern which I can't say I hate. I do like them. I find them to be a bit less aggressive than say a General Altimax Arctic, but I do not see any reason why they will not perform. I know a lot of folks who swore by the original Winterforce (and swore about the noise when on the highway!)

Price
$83 per tire
$540 with tax, mount/balance and road hazard

Added bonus, put it on the CFNA credit card with 6mo no interest. Will pay off after the holidays/tax time. Not that I am broke, just a nice convenience. I used to always order off of the internet and find a shop to mount/balance and I used to never pay for road hazard. Sometimes it is just a lot less hassle to go somewhere. Especially when time is not on your side. As of late, when trying to find a place to mount/balance tires, I've had to either deal with a lot of attitude from the shop or prices that plain old stunk.

Traction is great, these things were digging through 4-5 inches no problem. I pulled out of my spot without any spinning. So far so good.

v6ocLgd.jpg

q0OgkJd.jpg

Last edited:
Good looking tire. I have the original Winterforces on the CR-V. I really like them and was really glad we had them on this past weekend. They seem to wear really good for a winter tire too.

I also had a set of studded Cooper Weather Masters on the '00 Civic for a few winters. That thing would push snow with the bumper.

Looks great, they were a contender when I was shopping earlier this year for a value snow tire. I ended up with the AltiMAX Arctic 12s, which is another model that is new for this year. I have the old Winterforce tires on my Element, and like you said, they work, but they're a little loud. To my untrained eye, the new Winterforce 2 looks like they would be a lot quieter than the old model since the old one a lot of horizontal tread block edges compared to the angled tread blocks on the Arctic 12 and Winterforce 12s. Plus the new one has a continuous center rib.

Old Winterforce
Winterforce_RTB.png

You'll have to keep us updated on the performance since it's a new model. I'll try do the same with the AltiMAX Arctic 12.

Originally Posted By: redhat
Price
$83 per tire

$200 for install fees and road hazard coverage? Yikes.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Originally Posted By: redhat
Price
$83 per tire

$200 for install fees and road hazard coverage? Yikes.

Do you not pay tax?

Also, TPMS service, the TPMS kits. I have no problem opting for the service kits for the new nuts and rubber grommets.

Last edited:
I have these on my short list at Tire Rack, I just haven't hit the checkout button yet.

They look a lot more aggressive in your pic than they do in the promo pic. That might keep me away.

I put a set of the Winterforce2 on my new Jeep Compass Trailhawk. So far I am very happy with them. Road noise is very little compared to the old versions. I have not had to drive in any deep snow yet, but plenty of ice and packed snow and I am very satisfied with their performance.

I have the blizzak dmv2 in 245/70r17 on my 2017 cherokee trailhawk..

Almost fell today.. didnt realize the slush had refrozen... didnt slip even abit.

I'm sure the winterforce2 are a massive upgrade over the extremely old design winterforce.

I still wish Firestone would dip into the Bridgestone Blizzak well of knowledge and produce an inexpensive ice tire, even if it's an older Blizzak design.

some winter tyres have softer compound outside then firm not so winter compound underneath. discount tyre had a great thanksgiving sale + as always free ship + no xtras, got TPM rebuild kits free. i shop around but discount tyre always wins!!! buying tyres on sale before you need them is a good move as well!!!

In the store, the Winterforce 2 seemed very pliable. A close second to the DM-V1 that I was checking out.

Another big thing is getting the put on, it seems everywhere I go it is such a hassle to get anyone to take $60-100 to mount and balance tires. To me that is a lot of change.

I once went into a PepBoys and wanted (8) loose tires in the back of the truck balanced. Quoted me $160. I laughed and walked out.

I still wish Firestone would dip into the Bridgestone Blizzak well of knowledge and produce an inexpensive ice tire, even if it's an older Blizzak design.

Maybe that is what these are, with a unique tread design? Who knows...

I've always stayed away from winter tires with a rounded shoulder, as I find the square shoulder helps in the deep stuff if you get some drifting going. My parents got some toyo celcius 4 season tires with a rounded shoulder so I'll have to try them out and see how much difference it makes.

Originally Posted By: WishIhadatruck

Maybe that is what these are, with a unique tread design? Who knows...

Not if these are designed and marketed as a studdable snow tire.

I've got an old set of well used old style Winterforces on my Forester. They're super loud and I loose a MPG or two just by having them on, but the Forester is like a little tank in the winter with them on.

Finally had some snow to go out and play a little bit with these Winterforce2 tires and with the New Generation Jeep Compass Trailhawk.
Both did very well. Went on some logging trails and had some fun. Never any real traction issues. Just kept going were I needed even through a couple hundred yards of some real sticky mud 6" to 10" deep. Now I just have to update my tech skill and get a go pro or something to record this stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back