Costco battery dead after 10 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Date sticker says 9/07. Dead this morning and will not take a charge. I think I got my moneys worth.
This was back when they were made by Johnson controls ( I think). A Costco replacement is now $40 more than when I bought the old one.
How have the $49 Valuepower from Walmart been holding up? They don't have my size but I think I can fit a '65' in there.

I put one in my 99 Mercury Grand Marquis a year ago and it is still working. Up until August, the car was daily driven by my youngest daughter. She bought an Escape and it sits most of the week as a back up car. I drive it on weekends to keep it exercised.

I figure if I can get two years out of a $49 battery, I am money ahead as many, most batteries twice the price do not last twice as long.

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
How have the $49 Valuepower from Walmart been holding up?

Are they made by Exide?

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
Just avoid any battery made by Exide.

Agreed. I get two years MAX from Exide, sometimes less.

Why dont you try out the $49 Walmart battery and let us know how it goes. I bet they are almost identical, or maybe even identical, to the $90-$100 battery, just slapped with a different label and price.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Why dont you try out the $49 Walmart battery and let us know how it goes. I bet they are almost identical, or maybe even identical, to the $90-$100 battery, just slapped with a different label and price.

Yep.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime

No they are not. Batteries with higher ratings/longer warranty will have more supports and lead in them. The cheaper batteries will have much less lead and support for the plates.

If you plan to keep the car less than 2 years then the cheap batteries should work fine. If you plan to keep longer then get another costco battery or use a coupon and pick up a Gold battery from advance auto.

If you are at walmart weigh the premium battery and a $49 battery. The difference is pretty obvious.

I have a Kirkland battery in my Jeep dated 11-07. Still going strong. I load tested it about 6 months ago. It's a 100 month battery.

What a rip-off. A battery should last at least 25 years. I can't stand it when the stores try to take my hard earned money.

Originally Posted By: Blkstanger
I have a Kirkland battery in my Jeep dated 11-07. Still going strong. I load tested it about 6 months ago. It's a 100 month battery.

Kirkland batteries were Interstate. Then Costco made a deal with Interstate to market their batteries. The only difference is that Interstate doesn't bake the batteries/Costco does.

Originally Posted By: JeffKeryk
Gee, only 10 years?
Costco in the Bay Area sells Interstate batteries for $80 I believe.
Pretty hard to beat.

I have had zero luck with those Costco interstate batteries. More than 50% of the ones I install test poorly after 18 months.

There are different types of batteries. Cheaper batteries use a lead/antimony plate, and require maintenance. Lead/calcium plates are sealed and should not require maintenance. You get what you pay for.

My Kirkland battery is 4 years old this month, which I feel is just about a decent break even point. It is working well and hope to get at least a few more years out of it. I do try to top off with a battery tender periodically, plus I put in an oversized battery, so I think that should all help with the longevity.

If the battery dies tomorrow, I'd be satisfied replacing it with another Costco Interstate battery.

I'm hoping that occasional use of the HF battery charger will keep the 19.99$ U1 I bought for my sit down mower going into its 3rd season. I also have one for the Rat

Originally Posted By: NormanBuntz
Just avoid any battery made by Exide.

Do you have recent history and data to back that up, or are you propagating a wife's tale?

I have had an Exide for over 5 years and still tests fine. I keep the posts clean and greased. Last year topped it off with distilled water. Bought it at Rural King for $55. It had a one year full replacement warranty when I bought it. But they now come with a two year full replacement warranty and a 72 month limited warranty. Group 35 battery and the regular price for them is $65 but they occasionally go on sale.

The AGM Exide Group 35 battery is $129. Some other sizes go for as little as $119. The online reviews for both are good.

an important factor is FRESH!!!! once activated aka fluid inside a battery will deteriorate unless kept well charged, they are date coded!!! buying a battery that YOU add the electrolyte + charge per instructions assures fresh + any new battery is best to be charged fully before install if possible. years ago i got TWO [censored] die hard batteries because they sat on the shelf of a Sears catalog store, this was an odd size for an older car!! they each [censored] out in under 6 months, but they warrantied them + gave me my $$$ on the second one i returned!!!

I just picked up an H7/94r from Sam's Club for $156. Everywhere else they wanted $200 and up. This was for my 2014 Cruze diesel. The original AC/Delco lasted basically 4 years and 4 months.

I guess we will see how well these Duracell's hold up.

I've been buying 6-18 month old batteries from a towing company for $25, and they last. Any problems right away he said he'd replace it. He load tests all of them and gives me a full charge.

I had a small fleet of trucks and did business with an Interstate wholesale dealer and got them at gas station prices. I never had good luck with Interstate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back