P0128 - 2005 Accord LX 2.4l

Status
Not open for further replies.
This past Thursday, my CEL came on and took it to Advance immediately for a code test. P0128 is what they gave me. I got this car with 266xxx miles on it in November 2015. I have put 15k (281,142) miles on it as of now. Ever since I have had it, it takes the car approximately five minutes to warm up. My car is not over heating at all but the temperature gauge needle usually takes 2 minutes to move. I know the P0128 code could be between the sensor, thermostat, or alerting coolant level. It is not extremely low but towards the minimum level. Is it best to go ahead and replace the thermostat? Much appreciated!

I know the OM calls for Honda Blue Type 2. Looking in my tank the coolant looks green. Is it safe to add the Honda Type 2 with the green that's already there or do I need to drain?

If it has green coolant in it, there is also a fair chance it has an aftermarket thermostat as well. I would replace it with an OEM unit and proper blue coolant after a flush. The ECT sensor can be removed and tested with a DMM and a pan of boiling water.

FYI, Honda Type 2 used to be green.

Replace the thermostat, it is probably sticking, and only use OE. If there is any coolant in the overflow bottle, the level is fine.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mightymousetech

Replace the thermostat, it is probably sticking, and only use OE. If there is any coolant in the overflow bottle, the level is fine.

Certainly not arguing here, but when was Type 2 ever green? I have had my Honda since 2005, and never remember seeing anything but blue Honda coolant. In fact, I had not ever seen blue coolant before the acquisition of my Honda, so I found it a bit strange way back then.

I agree.

Originally Posted By: propuckstopper

Certainly not arguing here, but when was Type 2 ever green? I have had my Honda since 2005, and never remember seeing anything but blue Honda coolant. In fact, I had not ever seen blue coolant before the acquisition of my Honda, so I found it a bit strange way back then.

It changed to blue in 2000 , approximately.

Smoky

Originally Posted By: Smoky14
Originally Posted By: propuckstopper

It changed to blue in 2000 , approximately.

Smoky

That would make sense, then, as I only began with the Honda in 2005.

put an el cheapo scanner and get the engine coolant temperature. If it is not in 180F or higher, then obviously you need new thermostat.

Most likely needs a T-stat at that mileage. Get one from the dealer as well as the coolant. The thermostat is part of the plastic water outlet assembly; when you buy a new thermostat from the dealer, it comes preinstalled into the water outlet. They are around $50.

Bad T-stat. Happened in my previous Sienna.
Buy a Honda genuine T-stat and NOT the Stant or anything else.

Originally Posted By: Will32283
Thanks all. I ordered the OEM T-stat and coolant.

Good Man!
thumbsup2.gif

Sorry for digging this back up. The night before I replaced my thermostat my CEL went off. The next morning I replaced the thermostat with the OEM one and added fresh coolant type2. Tonight about 9 miles into my drive my CEL appears again after 1 week and a half of not appearing. What is my next move?

Edit: Thermostat was replaced on 12/16

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Will32283
Sorry for digging this back up. The night before I replaced my thermostat my CEL went off. The next morning I replaced the thermostat with the OEM one and added fresh coolant type2. Tonight about 9 miles into my drive my CEL appears again after 1 week and a half of not appearing. What is my next move?

Edit: Thermostat was replaced on 12/16

Bump - any advice is greatly appreciated.

Use a scan tool to check the sensor value, it may use 2 temp sensors one for the gauge and one for the ECM. Look at the FSM or wiring diagram for more info, don't start throwing parts like sensors at it that really is a fools errand, diagnose it properly first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back